AP, Gurley, or Gordon for 2015?

erod

Reaction score
Exception? Here's the 1st rounders since 2008.

2012 - Trent Richardson, Doug Martin
2011 - Mark Ingram
2010 - CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best
2009 - Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells
2008 - Darren McFadden, Johnathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson

Interesting you didn't go back one more year, when Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch were first rounders.

But it's telling that ZERO running backs were taken in the first round the past two drafts.

Some decent backs in there from 2008-12, but it speaks to (1) how short-lived NFL careers are for running backs (which is why you don't pay Murray), and (2) how the league pretty much abandoned the run game for years (which seems to be changing).

The return of the run emphasis in the NFL, I think, will make Gurley a first-rounder at least.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Interesting you didn't go back one more year, when Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch were first rounders.

But it's telling that ZERO running backs were taken in the first round the past two drafts.

Some decent backs in there from 2008-12, but it speaks to (1) how short-lived NFL careers are for running backs (which is why you don't pay Murray), and (2) how the league pretty much abandoned the run game for years (which seems to be changing).

The return of the run emphasis in the NFL, I think, will make Gurley a first-rounder at least.

Go back another year and you've got Bush, Maroney, Deangelo Williams, and Joseph Addai.

I think it is more telling that RB is a huge crapshoot. You are just as likely to find a top guy in rounds 2 or 3 than in round 1. Of course, you are just as likely to find a bust there too

Reactions: BAT

erod

Reaction score
Go back another year and you've got Bush, Maroney, Deangelo Williams, and Joseph Addai.

I think it is more telling that RB is a huge crapshoot. You are just as likely to find a top guy in rounds 2 or 3 than in round 1. Of course, you are just as likely to find a bust there too

Hey, those aren't busts. They're just short-lived running back careers.

That's why they smartly let Murray walk.

This is a year-by-year league now. Draft picks aren't making big money any more. I still think Dallas can get a good back in the second round, but because of how late they are in round, I don't think they can wait until the third.

jday

Reaction score
If somehow AP landed in Dallas next year, I think that would push this team over the top and into the SB.... Just imagine that power and speed he has , and the ability to just give it to him late in the game and take over. AP in the backfield. Romo at QB, Dez at WR, with witten twill street and beasly...

We would make a SB appearance. I would bet cash money on that.

The Cowboys could possibly make it to the SB next year, I won't argue that point with you. But the Cowboys are not concerned about just next season. They are making moves for the team that will help them get to the SB every year and you can't overpay for players like AP and do that. It's not like AP would agree to just a 1 year prove it deal. He wants long-term money and at 30 next year may very well be the last year he is considered a top tier RB. For all we know, that year may have already passed. Therein is my reasoning behind not wanting any part of AP.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
The Cowboys could possibly make it to the SB next year, I won't argue that point with you. But the Cowboys are not concerned about just next season. They are making moves for the team that will help them get to the SB every year and you can't overpay for players like AP and do that. It's not like AP would agree to just a 1 year prove it deal. He wants long-term money and at 30 next year may very well be the last year he is considered a top tier RB. For all we know, that year may have already passed. Therein is my reasoning behind not wanting any part of AP.

No, I agree. I am glad we didn't match that contract for Murray.

However, i do struggle with Romos window. I thought, if we could get AP for a 3 year deal, That would make the SB window for this team, the next 1-3 years. Romo and AP, on a 3 year SB push......... I don't think Romo makes it back for a 4th year.....I could be wrong about that. I must be wrong about that, because I think its obvious the FO thinks that window is longer.......And they would know....not me.

I am worried about the day when Romo is no longer playing. Unless we get really lucky, that transition to another QB may take some time......its not easy finding those QBs... So I think I am in a win now frame of mind.

jday

Reaction score
No, I agree. I am glad we didn't match that contract for Murray.

However, i do struggle with Romos window. I thought, if we could get AP for a 3 year deal, That would make the SB window for this team, the next 1-3 years. Romo and AP, on a 3 year SB push......... I don't think Romo makes it back for a 4th year.....I could be wrong about that. I must be wrong about that, because I think its obvious the FO thinks that window is longer.......And they would know....not me.

I am worried about the day when Romo is no longer playing. Unless we get really lucky, that transition to another QB may take some time......its not easy finding those QBs... So I think I am in a win now frame of mind...

I can certainly understand that point-of-view. You are right about Romo; I honestly can't say I see him playing beyond the next 3 years either, but I could be wrong. But AP for 3 years would still cost the Cowboys quite a bit and I'm not sure this team need's an AP to be successful. While I don't necessarily believe you can just plug anybody in and yield the same results as Demarco, I do believe it is in the best interest of the Cowboys to consistently try to get younger and avoid plus 30's, especially those that are Free Agents or potential trade acquisitions.

Over 30's are action-packed with risk; at some point father time catches up to all of us...the question is when. I think the Cowboys, if they haven't already done so, should adopt the policy to never offer big money or draft picks up for guys in that age-neighborhood; the risk is not worth it. But that is just my opinion....I am by no means an expert. That is also why I am fine with letting Demarco walk, even if it is to a division rival. That might actually benefit the Cowboys in the long run, if father time catches up to Murray before the guaranteed money is paid.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I think Gordon could run for a LOT of yards behind the Cowboys OL.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I'm in Big Ten country so I saw a lot of Gordon and he's the real deal.

Didn't see much of Gurley, but I'm skepitcal just due to the injury and the time he will miss in the offseason.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Definitely not going to be ap. I think both gurley and gordon will be gone by 27. They might grab a rb in the 4th or something.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He will be good, but he won't be Gurley (not many are), but if you are talking value he may be the one in the second.

I agree. Gurley is just a freak of nature. That's why I'm willing to wait a few weeks for him to get 100%. Normally, you don't want to wait for a first round rookie but in this case he would be well worth the wait.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Jay Ajayi. That is who I want.

I haven't seen a single thing on tape about Ajayi that jumps out and says: YES we've got to get this guy! He seems solid but I didn't see a single WOW moment.

Duke Johnson? Holy **** that guy is a human joystickbut his size is a concern.

Gordon? Looks like fools gold to me.

Yeldon? Pretty good combination of power and speed.

Cobb? Tough inside runner but he won't be outrunning anyone. If we hated Murray's 4th gear we'll hate Cobb because he never gets out of second.

Gurley? I keep reading he's a once in a decade RB. I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, he's solid. Damn solid but I've heard comparisons to Adrian Peterson and I don't see it. Not even close, honestly.

If I'm drafting for "WOW" factor I take Duke Johnson and pair him with a solid power back for a little thunder and lightning. If I'm drafting for an all around solid back, Yeldon would probably be my pick just because I wouldn't have to burn a 1st on him. If I'm drafting character it's Ajayi all day long. Humble kid and high character.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Gurley will be long gone by 27. Watch for Coleman or Ajayi in round 2.

If I'm looking for a Murray clone with a little more speed Coleman is my guy after watching some highlights. That dude has a long stride. Runs a little upright but that wasn't a problem for Dickerson.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I agree. Gurley is just a freak of nature. That's why I'm willing to wait a few weeks for him to get 100%. Normally, you don't want to wait for a first round rookie but in this case he would be well worth the wait.

Agreed, I think that is why he is waiting to show where he is in the process, I think he knows it may be the difference between top 10 and bottom first.

That is why I am hoping he is a slow healer, until after the draft.

I would rather get him and short term IR him, then not get him.

I know I am dreaming.

That is why your boy or Ammer would be nice picks.

What do you think about Ameer by the way?

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Agreed, I think that is why he is waiting to show where he is in the process, I think he knows it may be the difference between top 10 and bottom first.

That is why I am hoping he is a slow healer, until after the draft.

I would rather get him and short term IR him, then not get him.

I know I am dreaming.

That is why your boy or Ammer would be nice picks.

What do you think about Ameer by the way?

I like him as a runner but I don't think he'll be a full time workhorse for an NFL club. He's going to be a good 3rd down back if he can pick up blitzers (I'm not sure he can).

As for full time workhorse backs, I think it is Gurley, Gordon and Ajayi. Any of the 3 would be fine (but Ajayi in the 2nd). Some don't see Gordon as a full time back but I do.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I like him as a runner but I don't think he'll be a full time workhorse for an NFL club. He's going to be a good 3rd down back if he can pick up blitzers (I'm not sure he can).

As for full time workhorse backs, I think it is Gurley, Gordon and Ajayi. Any of the 3 would be fine (but Ajayi in the 2nd). Some don't see Gordon as a full time back but I do.

You may be right he has a leaner upper and lower body frame, but I have heard he is a freak in the weight room.

He reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw, who if did not have injury issues I would see as a every down back.

I like Ajayi a whole lot, but I have seen some tape where he does not seem to run thru tackles and has a tendency to bounce outside when he should not.

But this is nit picking, I would be over joyed with either of them in the second.

Would you consider Coleman in the 2nd?

mldardy

Reaction score
You may be right he has a leaner upper and lower body frame, but I have heard he is a freak in the weight room.

He reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw, who if did not have injury issues I would see as a every down back.

I like Ajayi a whole lot, but I have seen some tape where he does not seem to run thru tackles and has a tendency to bounce outside when he should not.

But this is nit picking, I would be over joyed with either of them in the second.

Would you consider Coleman in the 2nd?

I would. I think he will be a very good back in this league. I watched him shred my Buckeyes this year. He is fast, has a good burst and runs with power. I think he's the best back in the draft.