AP: Incident doesn't affect Adam Jones' probation

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/sports/stories/2008/10/15/pacman_georgia_probation.html

The Associated Press

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

IRVING, Texas — Twice-suspended cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones won’t have his probation revoked in Georgia after an alcohol-related scuffle with his bodyguard in Dallas.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said Wednesday that probation officers had decided not to pursue revocation proceedings because Jones wasn’t arrested after police were called to an upscale Dallas hotel Oct. 7.

Jones was suspended indefinitely by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday for the latest disturbance. It was the 13th incident for Jones involving police since Tennessee drafted him in 2005. He was weeks removed from Goodell lifting a 17-month ban over personal conduct.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The state doesn't want to incarcerate him over that. Good for them.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
jobberone;2343337 said:
The state doesn't want to incarcerate him over that. Good for them.

of course, I'm sure the Goodell acolytes on this board will say who cares, the NFL issue is separate and he still deserves to be suspended indefinitely

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think the indefinately could be removed to be 4 games set in stone. But it is what it is.

It's possible, if he flies right, and since the state didn't think this warranted enough to take his probation away that maybe he'll get back after the bye week, thus missing only 3 games really.

*Shrugs* I don't know. I doubt that Roger will say this has anything to do with how harsh his NFL penalty is though.

jimmy40

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2343380 said:
of course, I'm sure the Goodell acolytes on this board will say who cares, the NFL issue is separate and he still deserves to be suspended indefinitely
only fans with common sense would think that way.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
jimmy40;2343414 said:
only fans with common sense would think that way.

or those who are holier than thou

fine him, suspend him a game etc but come on, indefinitely?

it is clear Robespierre has it in for him

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Why the hell was he suspended then, cause he caused bad press?

Pacman should sue the league. He committed no crime, as an employer goodell has no authority to suspend pacman for the allegations of drinking in a private residence. No arrest was made, no charges were filed.

Imagine if your employer fired you for drinking at home. That's ridiculous.

Who was this Jim person who called the police? Was he actually a hotel employee? Was he a staff member of another team trying to cause trouble?

jimmy40

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2343421 said:
or those who are holier than thou

fine him, suspend him a game etc but come on, indefinitely?

it is clear Robespierre has it in for him
then why did he reinstate him?

jimmy40

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2343432 said:

Pacman should sue the league. He committed no crime, as an employer goodell has no authority to suspend pacman for the allegations of drinking in a private residence. No arrest was made, no charges were filed.

Who was this Jim person who called the police? Was he actually a hotel employee? Was he a staff member of another team trying to cause trouble?

If your employer told you to not do something and you do exactly that then your a moron and deserve to get fired.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
jimmy40;2343450 said:
If your employer told you to not do something and you do exactly that then your a moron and deserve to get fired.

Don't drink any alcohol at a private party.

Don't smoke at home cause it causes our healthcare costs to go up.

Don't eat fast food because its unhealthy for you.

Where does it stop?

I question the authority of someones boss to tell an employee what to do in their home or a private area. The commissioner is out of line here.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2343464 said:
Don't drink any alcohol at a private party.

Don't smoke at home cause it causes our healthcare costs to go up.

Don't eat fast food because its unhealthy for you.

Where does it stop?
Does your employer tell you that or your fired?

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
Wow! Ok, let's hear it from the usual group how the state just let a thug go free. :rolleyes:
AdamJT13;2343326 said:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/sports/stories/2008/10/15/pacman_georgia_probation.html

The Associated Press

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

IRVING, Texas — Twice-suspended cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones won’t have his probation revoked in Georgia after an alcohol-related scuffle with his bodyguard in Dallas.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said Wednesday that probation officers had decided not to pursue revocation proceedings because Jones wasn’t arrested after police were called to an upscale Dallas hotel Oct. 7.

Jones was suspended indefinitely by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday for the latest disturbance. It was the 13th incident for Jones involving police since Tennessee drafted him in 2005. He was weeks removed from Goodell lifting a 17-month ban over personal conduct.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2343464 said:
I question the authority of someones boss to tell an employee what to do in their home or a private area.
Then don't work there.

links18

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2343432 said:

I hear you, but don't try to tell that to the lench mob that resides around here. He caused bad press, that's enough to can him for life for most people. Doesn't matter that there are no checks and balances on the media and they can basically make a PAC suspension a self-fulfilling prophecy if he is going to be judged by those standards.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2343432 said:

I'm no lawyer and would welcome the input of one, but I have had the same feelings you do on this situation.

I just can't agree with the Goodell decision here. Pacman was supposedly fully "reinstated into the league". Their words not mine. Well what does that mean?
It certainly doesn't or didn't mean he had the same rights as other players without a "track record".
This whole thing was BS from the start.

Reinstate the guy or don't. This rediculous probationary type deal was doomed from the start.

Not that it would have effected Jerry's decision, but I never would have been on board with this signing if I knew an incident like this would get him suspended.

I knew this was a zero tolerence policy, but I was under the impression Pacman had to actually do something wrong. Break a law, get arrested. Maybe a DUI or a D and D. Heck even a serious moving violation like reckless driving.

You really have to wonder if Goddell hasn't opened himself and the league to some sort of lawsuit.

links18

Reaction score
You really have to wonder if Goddell hasn't opened himself and the league to some sort of lawsuit.[/QUOTE]

Probably not, because an employer can basically do whatever they want unless it violates certain discrimination laws. Now PAC may have a case if he can show he is an alcoholic and he is being discriminated against due to a medical condition, but I don't know if he wants to go there.....

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
links18;2343488 said:
You really have to wonder if Goddell hasn't opened himself and the league to some sort of lawsuit.

Probably not, because an employer can basically do whatever they want unless it violates certain discrimination laws. Now PAC may have a case if he can show he is an alcoholic and he is being discriminated against due to a medical condition, but I don't know if he wants to go there.....

I don't think anyone wants to take on the league. Cedric Benson was cut because of the leagues crackdown on 'bad' behavior and their policies. In the end, all charges for Cedric Benson were dropped. Two separate grand juries agreed there was not enough evidence to let the TWO cases go to trial.

What exactly can he do now? Nothing. Just like Pacman cant do anything.

Have your name trashed because the league doesn't want its image tarnished.

I wish someone would stand up though. I don't like the direction the league has taken.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I don't know what happened in the "scuffle", but Deion Sanders said that the other guy took a swing at Pacman first.

I think Pacman should have stayed away from that party. It was a bad idea. He shouldn't have given anyone, including Goodell, a chance to get him.

However, if Pacman isn't getting in trouble over his probation and he wasn't arrested and there is no police report. Four games and holding Pacman over the football extinction fire seems extreme to me.

Let me ask you this:

If the Dallas Police Department doesn't leak this "scuffle" to the media, is it all over ESPN?

Why did they have to leak it?