Twitter: Archer: Breakdown of Zeke's Contract

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Restructures are just cap space borrowed from future years to pay other players in the current year.

The prorated money is attached to a players name but it was really money used for other players.

It really only matters how the now and future cap hits balance out over all players on the roster.

I'm not sure a lot of fans will ever understand this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Don't worry , Zeke will hold out on year 3 .

This. This was my first, and really only concern, as I read over this contract. This is another early payout deal, just like his Rookie deal. Zeke and his agent could easily hold out again, after the guaranteed money is paid. But that's the risk you run and it's been pointed out over and over. Jerry decided to run the risk so we will see what happens.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
I too am confused about how an "Option bonus" can be guaranteed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This. This was my first, and really only concern, as I read over this contract. This is another early payout deal, just like his Rookie deal. Zeke and his agent could easily hold out again, after the guaranteed money is paid. But that's the risk you run and it's been pointed out over and over. Jerry decided to run the risk so we will see what happens.

Yeah, but the flip side to that is that the team now has several years to plan for that day, if it ever comes. They can assess what they have and what they need and have a succession plan in place and ultimately it may be they who decide when to move on, rather than having to worry about another holdout.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I too am confused about how an "Option bonus" can be guaranteed.
It's guaranteed once they exercise the option.

Keep him past the March option date, and that option bonus becomes guaranteed but is not paid until a later date.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
It's guaranteed once they exercise the option.

Keep him past the March option date, and that option bonus becomes guaranteed but is not paid until a later date.

Then it's not actually guaranteed at this point. I wonder if the league will have a problem with the structure of this contract. I've never seen anything like it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Really don't understand why this deal could not have been done 3 weeks ago. I am not sure who caved at the end but the 32 mill at the end to make him the highest paid is just window dressing.

Not sue what the holdup was.

General negotiation problem. Both sides are trying to squeeze more out of the other. They can a) give in or b) try to wait out the other guy. While the cost of delay is less than the cost of giving in, they wait.

Also, the more information both sides have when they make the deal, the less they risk new information coming out that will make them less happy with the deal.

The NFL could help negotiations by enforcing a mutually requested time limit for negotiations. I wonder why they don't do that. Maybe they prefer, on balance, for the negotiations to stringing to increase the drama and thereby the eyeballs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And the option bonus will be executed on march 22. 2020.

Will it? If it's actually an *option* bonus, then they would have the *option* to execute the option or not.

Everyone is implicitly assuming that they will execute that option.

What if they don't?

Looks to me like the Cowboys get Zeke on the field this year for 8.25mil out of pocket, with no further commitments.

If I actually have the *option* next March, I'll take waving goodbye to Zeke over an additional 3 years at a cost of 41.75mil.

Or at least I might. It's easy to go back and forth on Zeke's value, and we'll know more about the cap and the state of the team by then. If we win a SB, I'll probably be more willing to mortgage a little more of the future to keep the band together.

J-man

Reaction score
Wait... so you didn't want to see a crazy deal like Gurley's since it was really bad... then we gave an even worse(bigger in every aspect) one to Zeke and you really like it?

That's... well that's I don't even know.

You are just mad that they gave Zeke a new deal when he was acting like a 5 yr old to get one. I agree with you there. But you aren't even looking at the details of the deal at all. Yes the numbers look big but in fact they way it is structured is a HUGE win for JJ and The Dallas Cowboys, period.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You are just mad that they gave Zeke a new deal when he was acting like a 5 yr old to get one. I agree with you there. But you aren't even looking at the details of the deal at all. Yes the numbers look big but in fact they way it is structured is a HUGE win for JJ and The Dallas Cowboys, period.

No, it's not, PERIOD.

Not being able to get out of a contract until after four years, barring suspension is losing a contract at its finest. On top of shattering the market in every applicable way.

X550i

Reaction score
Yes he did. They have their franchise running back locked up for as long as they want him.

That’s exactly right, and it was also true before the new deal. That’s why Elliott held out now to get the guaranteed money.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s exactly right, and it was also true before the new deal. That’s why Elliott held out now to get the guaranteed money.

How was it "true before the new deal"?

J-man

Reaction score
No, it's not, PERIOD.

Not being able to get out of a contract until after four years, barring suspension is losing a contract at its finest. On top of shattering the market in every applicable way.

Can show me a contract extension that lets teams get out of a deal without some loss/pain unless the player does something that warrants it? I didn't think so.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Can show me a contract extension that lets teams get out of a deal without some loss/pain unless the player does something that warrants it? I didn't think so.

Are you ****ing kidding? LMAO

Name a player on the Cowboys and we can get out of his contract before four years.
Lawrence extended this offseason, yep
La'el? Oh hell yes
Tyron? Yep
Martin? Yes sir

Yeah, I didnt think so

I dont want to drag this out anymore. But I would just leave you with the wisdom to learn contracts. They're complicated but you should be able to pick up some understanding of them. As of now, you have none.

J-man

Reaction score
Are you ****ing kidding? LMAO

Name a player on the Cowboys and we can get out of his contract before four years.
Lawrence extended this offseason, yep
La'el? Oh hell yes
Tyron? Yep
Martin? Yes sir

Yeah, I didnt think so

I dont want to drag this out anymore. But I would just leave you with the wisdom to learn contracts. They're complicated but you should be able to pick up some understanding of them. As of now, you have none.

I think about 98% of the people on here and everywhere else, agree with me about Zeke's deal being a very good one for Dallas. Even with my, according to you, apparent 0 knowledge about contracts. Maybe you should actually read the parameters of the contract instead of blindly hating and insisting that you're right about it.

Reading, understanding and rationality are beautiful things. Maybe someday you'll get that.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Huge Cowboy victory IMO.

$7.5MM signing bonus guaranteed that we will never get back. Everything else can be taken from Zeke if he screws up. If he does not screw up, then it is a fair contract.