Twitter: Archer: Breakdown of Zeke's Contract

Qcard

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can see this other than a great win for the Cowboys and a decent one for Zeke in terms of security.

Unless I'm missing something completely, as of *right now* this is a 4 year/$50.1m deal (I'll assume we pick up 2021 and 2022 but even that's not guaranteed for something awful happening on or off the field) for an AAV of those 4 years of $12.5m.

Even the 2023 and 2024 years are at a lower annual value around $10.5m average.

Edit: To compare, with his old deal for the next 2 years plus franchise tag of ~$15m in 2021, his AAV over those three years would have been $9.3m

Edit 2: Like @Aerolithe_Lion points out, if you added a second franchise (20% more in 2022) the AAV of that 4 years would have been $11.5m. This isn't a huge raise from that terrible situation and the team gets two cheap years under control in '23 and '24
I Love Stephen Jones... seriously I will kiss him when I see him. Team is protected from the Zeke knuckle head syndrome

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

erod

Reaction score
Looks like Zeke's behavior risks are well accounted for throughout.

coult44

Reaction score
We literally gained nothing. Zeke demolished Jerry in this one.

Zeke pretty much got everything he wanted while being able to have an extra month of vacation.

You’re literally the only one in the football world saying anything like this.

There’s always one.....

coult44

Reaction score
So I just did a quick number crunch on what it would have cost to keep him under his current deal (which he was holding out from) and then to franchise tag him for 2021 and 2022. He was set to cost $17 million on the cap for the next two years, and then cost to tag him for two years would have been at a minimum $15 million a year, and likely a lot more by then.

Add that up, and it's at least $48 million, with absolutely no guarantees afterwards. This deal pays virtually the same thing and gives the club four option years after 2022.

So how did they "lose"?

They didn’t, QuincyCarterEra just ate some bad meatloaf...

Blackspider214

Reaction score
How anyone says that we didn’t get screwed in this deal is beyond me.

This is NOT a win for the cowboys.

What?!

Do you realize in this salary cap era, the goal is to keep all your top players. And we did just that. Let me guess, you are one of those ones who'd rather have younger, cheaper players just because they are cheap instead of trying to accumulate the most talent.

Guess what, talent isn't cheap

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I think a great contract for both sides. Dallas gets Zeke for his best years and Zeke gets security. Dallas can get out at pretty much any time after year 2 if they wanted but at worst a 4 yr 50 million deal. 1 million more than Gurley and that’s not even fully guaranteed

I can live with that! Jerry got what he wanted security wise and Zeke is happy. Great deal for all involved.

endersdragon

Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

Tried to copy this over but no real luck. Interesting to see it in person. Basically it's really a 4 year 57 million dollar deal with a couple more years added on if he is still playing at this level. For some reason that makes me feel a whole lot better about this as I can see him having a really solid 7 year career, not so sure about anything after that with modern running backs being what they are.

endersdragon

Reaction score
P.S. if this was already posted feel free to delete but I didn't see anyone post the actual numbers + year + cap hit to cut + etc. yet and it's not like much else is going on.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Oh one last thing, we should under no circumstances ever try to restructure this contract. I don't want to worry about dead weight in 2025.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

Tried to copy this over but no real luck. Interesting to see it in person. Basically it's really a 4 year 57 million dollar deal with a couple more years added on if he is still playing at this level. For some reason that makes me feel a whole lot better about this as I can see him having a really solid 7 year career, not so sure about anything after that with modern running backs being what they are.

The team committment is 4 years, 50M if the numbers provided by Spotrac are correct.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/realistic-contract-values-for-zeke-vs-gurley.439309/

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh one last thing, we should under no circumstances ever try to restructure this contract. I don't want to worry about dead weight in 2025.
Restructures are just cap space borrowed from future years to pay other players in the current year.

The prorated money is attached to a players name but it was really money used for other players.

It really only matters how the now and future cap hits balance out over all players on the roster.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
After 19, not 21. If the 2020 bonus is truly an *option*, then it is only guaranteed after executing the option.

And the option bonus will be executed on march 22. 2020. Thats why i made the example with 2021. I could have also written "if we cut cut him on march 23. 2020 we will be hit...."

I think we both understand it right. It was just my "bad" example that wasnt precise enough explained. but i am so lazy when it comes to typing ;-).

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And who would know better what those cap numbers will look like than Jerry Jones, the man front and center in the CBA negotiations?
Apparently he thinks the tv deals could go up 50% due to gambling....

aikemirv

Reaction score
Really don't understand why this deal could not have been done 3 weeks ago. I am not sure who caved at the end but the 32 mill at the end to make him the highest paid is just window dressing.

Not sue what the holdup was.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't see a loser in this deal. Zeke is getting what he wants and the way the contract is structured it benefits and protects the Cowboys.