Twitter: Archer: Cowboys won't be taking Ruiz

HungryLion

Reaction score
Good. Ruiz is a good player. But they need to give McGovern and Looney a chance before spending a first rounder on a replacement.

no reason Looney or McGovern can’t get the job done.

phildadon86

Reaction score
So are they telling us they have 3 great guys to replace Frederick or are they telling us they'd rather settle for a guy than actually draft one? I do agree I wouldn't take a center but don't tell me you have 3 guys you feel that can start for you. Looney has the history. McGovern hasn't played a down of football and Williams......he's going to hop from Tackle to guard to center?
Honestly the reason we built that oline was to cover up coaching deficiencies in Garrett. He wanted to rebuild the Great Wall of Dallas from his glory days. Now that we have a coach that can actually coach up talent we hopefully won’t see stockpiling of talent at certain positions and just draft great players that fit the system regardless of position

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I've wondered for a while if Williams might make a good center. I'm not any good at evaluating that position, but it seems like his strengths could serve him well as a C in a zone scheme. I believe out of those three they have a solid starter though.

All that said, I guarantee they take a flier on a C later in the draft.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We will see how happy fans are when Looney starts rolling snaps back to the QB again this season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Honestly the reason we built that oline was to cover up coaching deficiencies in Garrett. He wanted to rebuild the Great Wall of Dallas from his glory days. Now that we have a coach that can actually coach up talent we hopefully won’t see stockpiling of talent at certain positions and just draft great players that fit the system regardless of position
Yea I hope so. I will say that I do like drafting a lineman every draft. I think its smart. But I don't think you should have to invest high in one every time though.

Gaede

Reaction score
Well, that does make sense. I'm not optimistic about the trio of Looney and the two Connors, however. Maybe one of the Cs will fall to Saturday

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I dont think they take Ruiz either, I think they get a player who drops to 17 at a position of higher need.

With that said though I wouldn't feel comfortable saying anything is definitive for the cowboys tonight. Theyve got to be one of the most unpredictable teams tonight and could go a number of ways.

They can get away without taking a C high, but this o line has a lot more questions than I think people want to actually admit. McGovern is an unknown, looney has been mostly a backup in his career, William's has been inconsistent, smith/martin have had injury concerns the last couple years. Adding a high pick would go a long way in solidifying the group as you could move McGovern or looney to a backup interior role and make William's a backup for both tackle spots.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
We will see how happy fans are when Looney starts rolling snaps back to the QB again this season.

It'll be McGovern though. Dallas had already protected themselves against the loss of Frederick in the previous draft, and now they'll play their insurance policy.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Maybe PhillBill Vol.13 and Big Mike feel confident in the players Dallas has along the Oline.

Only one way to find out!!

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
So are they telling us they have 3 great guys to replace Frederick or are they telling us they'd rather settle for a guy than actually draft one? I do agree I wouldn't take a center but don't tell me you have 3 guys you feel that can start for you. Looney has the history. McGovern hasn't played a down of football and Williams......he's going to hop from Tackle to guard to center?

They know more about Mcgovern than they do someone they would draft tonight.