Archer: How The Cowboys Are Adding Depth, Not Leverage With Andy Dalton

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Dak being hurt was truly the reason Dallas lost to the Eagles with the division on the line then signing Andy Dalton makes sense. It just seems weird they would tender Cooper Rush instead of addressing the position before now.

Dalton wasn't available before now. There has to be someone you want as well as is willing to accept your offer before you can fill a role.

We don't know with any certainty that they didn't pursue someone like Jameis Winston for the role, but got beat out by the Saints.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3zy1bj.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Daltons contract is pretty cheap for a backup. My guess is they didnt want to spend market value on a back up QB. Dalton being willing to take 3M probably changed their minds

I don't know if it's cheap, but like with any player, Dallas is willing to pay what it believes his value to be. Dalton's cost for what he brings to the table was good.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The difference being that Aikman was highly superior to Kosar. The difference between Dak and Dalton is not nearly as much of a divide. Would be interesting to see a real open qb competition in camp. Will never happen though, Jerry loves Dak.

"Hey boss, I love you too. But I want $40 million a year."

"Thanks for the good years, Dak but you can pack your bags and leave. Dalton will take your place at half the price."

BlueStar22

Reaction score
LOL. The panic by insecure Dak slobberers is palpable. They are basically hyperventilating.

This is clearly a leverage move. Archer is a moron, and the media has been wrong about these negotiations for going on two years now. They know nothing. Remember when they were saying the sides were “so close” and then coming back and saying that the two sides haven’t even spoke in months? lol
You're actually showing how unintelligent you are. You hear what the sources have said. You choose to ignore it and believe what you want. From a purely football standpoint, Dalton isn't a very good QB. Those guys don't come free too often. If they do, it is due to unusal circumstances. Winston? Hasn't been good enough to get a second contract. Brady? Goat, but old. Newton? MVP, but oft-injured and new ownership wanted to go in a new direction. Andy Dalton? God a second contract and proved to just be average. He's no threat to Dak Prescott. It's just that simple but you won't let it be.

jjktkk

Reaction score
How is it leverage? No one wants to see Andy Dalton under center for Dallas. Well, maybe i'm wrong.
Because Dalton is a solid, NFL QB who has won in this league. I doubt that Dak would hold out but Dallas could conceivably win games withDalton as their starting QB.

cowboyec

Reaction score
If Dak being hurt was truly the reason Dallas lost to the Eagles with the division on the line then signing Andy Dalton makes sense. It just seems weird they would tender Cooper Rush instead of addressing the position before now.
but...Dalton wasn't available then.
if he had been released just before f/a began...maybe they don't tender Rush.

Section446

Reaction score
Dalton has never had an offense like this one around him,,, maybe there's a reason he's willing to take less to come here.
95 percent of the QB's in the league has never had an offense around them like Dak has had since he got here. If he was drafted by Cleveland, he'd already be on his second or third team by now, the guy has been carried to get to where he is.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
So basically the facts do not matter to you because your gut says he is average and your gut has the power to override reality. The numbers, aka the facts of his 9 year career, do not back your claim. Watching Dalton play does not back your claim. I can offer a plethora of evidence to show Dak is a top 10 QB in the NFL, but I also cannot find a scintilla of evidence to show Dalton as a top 20 right now. That is a BIG deal when it comes to the potential of a team.
I don't need to google anything to know that Dak and Dalton are the same QB. You do to prop up mr average Dak up. Yep my gut but if I wanted to I can find just as much to tell you Dak is average but I'm not here to change your mind. We are all just posters so if you don't like my "gut" take on Dak so be it you'll sleep good tonight just like I will. It doesn't change my pov on him that they are the same player and if Dak doesn't play will be quickly shown that.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It's definitely not leverage for the Cowboys signing Dalton, because all they would be doing (if leverage was the case) would be disrespecting and pissing off Dak. All that would do is encourage Dak to sit out several games to start the 2020 season and prove to the Cowboys how badly they truly need to sign Dak to what he wants.
That would be the stupidest thing for Dak to do. Lets just say that Dalton performs well enough for the Cowboys to say that Dak is not worth 30 million more. Then at best Dak gets to sign with another team but with that comes the loss of everything that goes with being the Cowboy Qb.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That would be the stupidest thing for Dak to do. Lets just say that Dalton performs well enough for the Cowboys to say that Dak is not worth 30 million more. Then at best Dak gets to sign with another team but with that comes the loss of everything that goes with being the Cowboy Qb.
No, the stupidest thing to do is to actually believe Andy Dalton could perform equal to or better than Dak.

aikemirv

Reaction score
No, the stupidest thing to do is to actually believe Andy Dalton could perform equal to or better than Dak.

I did not say that. I said perform well enough..... with the weapons we have, lesser Qbs havegone farther with less - That's for sure. I don't believe they signed him for leverage or to replace Dak at all but the last thing Dak wants to do is give him the opportunity

Last edited:

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Why would it be weird to tender the guy. No reason not to retain his rights. No commitment there at all