Archer: How The Cowboys Are Adding Depth, Not Leverage With Andy Dalton

Kwyn

Reaction score
They are dumping Dalton because he was not good.
I disagree. If Dalton has been on any other team, he is exactly the type of player Cinci would love to have as a backup to their new franchise QB and they might well hav explored signing him to join them as Burrow’s backup.

His knowledge, experience, intelligence and strong character are precisely what you want in your QB room with a young star in the making.

The only reason they let him go is because you just can’t easily demote your starter for 11 years. It’s not particularly respectful to the player, it causes confusion and issues with the fans if the new star has serious struggles as a rookie and, let’s face it, Dalton being cut saves them 17m. Unless you try to strong arm him into a renegotiation, there’s no way out of that 17m without cutting him.

All kinds of reasons to let him go that have little or nothing to do with us performance.

it’s too bad for Dalton that they held onto him for so long because they pretty much cut him off at the knees when it came to him finding a new team but it worked out great for the Cowboys.

I think it’s good for Andy too. He gets to be home every day with his wife and two young children for the next year before he has to decide what’s next.

I think he wants to be a starter again in the league, but I’d be thrilled with a new deal next off season for him. He’s the perfect NFL backup.

if things with Dak go a completely different direction than what’s planned, we’d need to look at finding a new starter, because I’m not sure Andy is going to be able to carry a team the tonite way, but for now? This is perfection.

If nothing else happens this offseason, this right here is the cherry on top of a a great series of personnel moves

Kwyn

Reaction score
How is it leverage? No one wants to see Andy Dalton under center for Dallas. Well, maybe i'm wrong.
You’re right but also wrong :)

Most sane fans would never choose Dalton over Dak. I’m right there with you on that

The move doesn’t necessarily allow a Jerry to make a power move and say “sign or not, we don’t care. Sit out a year if you want, we have Dalton!”

not does; however, give the Cowboys a less terrible Plan B if Dak does, for some crazy agent driven reason, go scorched earth and hold out or pull a Leveon Bell. Now, I think the chances of that are minuscule, but if his agents decide to go that route, I feel better about the season with Andy Dalton then I did with Cooper Rush.

Kwyn

Reaction score
but...Dalton wasn't available then.
if he had been released just before f/a began...maybe they don't tender Rush.
Don’t you have to tender your own free agents before the actual FA period begins?

In any event, tendering Rush doesn’t require any actual committment so it’s likely they would have done the exact same thing even if they thought Dalton would be here.

Adreme

Reaction score
I disagree. If Dalton has been on any other team, he is exactly the type of player Cinci would love to have as a backup to their new franchise QB and they might well hav explored signing him to join them as Burrow’s backup.

His knowledge, experience, intelligence and strong character are precisely what you want in your QB room with a young star in the making.

The only reason they let him go is because you just can’t easily demote your starter for 11 years. It’s not particularly respectful to the player, it causes confusion and issues with the fans if the new star has serious struggles as a rookie and, let’s face it, Dalton being cut saves them 17m. Unless you try to strong arm him into a renegotiation, there’s no way out of that 17m without cutting him.

All kinds of reasons to let him go that have little or nothing to do with us performance.

it’s too bad for Dalton that they held onto him for so long because they pretty much cut him off at the knees when it came to him finding a new team but it worked out great for the Cowboys.

I think it’s good for Andy too. He gets to be home every day with his wife and two young children for the next year before he has to decide what’s next.

I think he wants to be a starter again in the league, but I’d be thrilled with a new deal next off season for him. He’s the perfect NFL backup.

if things with Dak go a completely different direction than what’s planned, we’d need to look at finding a new starter, because I’m not sure Andy is going to be able to carry a team the tonite way, but for now? This is perfection.

If nothing else happens this offseason, this right here is the cherry on top of a a great series of personnel moves

I was not implying he is not a good backup, but merely that he is not a good starting QB. I would also contest that the main reason they dumped him is you do not want to pay your backup QB 17m. That seems a tad unreasonable.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
There are no stats, there is no film, there is NOTHING to support that Dalton is even in the same league as Dak. I cannot find a single number that supports such a claim. If they were the same QB Dalton would have SOMETHING on Dak. I picked one year for Dak and its better than ANY of the 9 years for Dalton who was also surrounded with amazing offensive talent for most of his career. If they were the same that should absolutely not be the case, but they arent because Dalton is not in Dak's league and if Dalton is starting the team wins between 2-4 less games and is not a true contender. Unfortunately all that means in the long run is you are terrible enough to not contend, but due to the talent on this roster not so terrible you can really attempt to play QB roulette for one of the possibly good QBs.
Dak isn't even in the same league as you think he is. I understand though because like I said most of y'all are used to nice things so any ole,average thing looks way better. You're still living in 2016 its 2020 your QB is average at best. Dalton is the same exact player as Dak but I understand it hard to hear your idol is just not that good.

cern

Reaction score
If dak holds out and doesn't practice with mac and team, advantage (leverage) dak. If team is able to practice with dalton, leverage team. Not the preferred scenario but better than cooper rush.

Adreme

Reaction score
Dak isn't even in the same league as you think he is. I understand though because like I said most of y'all are used to nice things so any ole,average thing looks way better. You're still living in 2016 its 2020 your QB is average at best. Dalton is the same exact player as Dak but I understand it hard to hear your idol is just not that good.

In 2019 he was not average. In 2019 every statistic he was near the top of the league in almost every measurable. 2019 Dak is WAY better than 2016 Dak and its not close. I get that you WANT to say Dak is the same as Dalton but the facts, and by extension reality, show that Dak is FAR better than Dalton ever was. That is what reality shows. To say they are the same is not to argue with me or with other posters, its to argue with the facts and with reality and reality is kind of stubborn.

Kaiser

Reaction score
he only reason they let him go is because you just can’t easily demote your starter for 11 years. It’s not particularly respectful to the player, it causes confusion and issues with the fans if the new star has serious struggles as a rookie and, let’s face it, Dalton being cut saves them 17m. Unless you try to strong arm him into a renegotiation, there’s no way out of that 17m without cutting him.

Exactly, there has never been a QB in history that took an 85% paycut and then just sat quietly on the bench.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
In 2019 he was not average. In 2019 every statistic he was near the top of the league in almost every measurable. 2019 Dak is WAY better than 2016 Dak and its not close. I get that you WANT to say Dak is the same as Dalton but the facts, and by extension reality, show that Dak is FAR better than Dalton ever was. That is what reality shows. To say they are the same is not to argue with me or with other posters, its to argue with the facts and with reality and reality is kind of stubborn.
In 2019 he was pretty average but like I said you're not used to top shelf stuff so Dak average self impressed you. Jameis was also near the top of the league in almost every measurable so that shows you how much that truly means. Stop letting espn stats nerds control your pov and use your own brain sir. Reality shows your delusional and don't want to accept your football hero is the same as Dalton. I'm not arguing I'm telling you the facts Dak is eh and you just want to delude yourself. Go ahead but stop trying to get me to buy in to that bs

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I agree totally with what Todd Archer has said. The signing of an experienced vet is something that should have been done years ago. The C'boys proved at the end of 2019 how much confidence they have in Cooper. They leaned upon their ailing QB to help them in the playoffs, rather than relying upon their #1 backup for help. That situation won't be likely to happen going forward. I have no illusions about Andy being here to relieve Dak of his starting job. Jerry and Stephen tried their best to make that clear from the very start.

It's entirely possible and in fact, likely, that Mike McCarthy preferred to acquire Dalton rather than be forced to look to Cooper for backup help in the future. I really believe our fans are making something of this Dalton signing that actually isn't the case. It wasn't intended to replace Dak with Andy, so much as simply having a better backup QB option for Dak. In the event that Dak is unavailable in the future for whatever reason, a better option will be available than what we formerly had in Cooper Rush. The opportunity presented itself and the team took advantage of it.

Last edited:

RandyOh

Reaction score
Its mostly a depth signing but yes it does give Stephen and Jerry SOME leverage in this situation. Before they had none what so ever. Now they have a vet QB that has taken his team to the playoffs 5 times in his 9 years with the Bengals and is a 3 time Pro Bowler. If they want to draw a line at a certain number and say no we are not paying a penny more over 34 or 35 mil then they now have a backup plan for the season and allows them to stick to their guns instead of caving in at the thought of Cooper Rush starting an entire season. Now for those saying rescind the franchise tag and go with Dalton are talking crazy. Dalton is a last resort that really doesn't kill the teams playoff hopes. I can see Dalton being good enough to win the NFC east but thats not really saying much now is it lol

Adreme

Reaction score
In 2019 he was pretty average but like I said you're not used to top shelf stuff so Dak average self impressed you. Jameis was also near the top of the league in almost every measurable so that shows you how much that truly means. Stop letting espn stats nerds control your pov and use your own brain sir. Reality shows your delusional and don't want to accept your football hero is the same as Dalton. I'm not arguing I'm telling you the facts Dak is eh and you just want to delude yourself. Go ahead but stop trying to get me to buy in to that bs

Except that Winston threw 30 INTs which you knew. Throwing 30 INTs kind of is a red flag. Dak did not have that red flag. He did not have to throw 30 INTs to get his passing totals. I watched pretty much every team at least once. Reality showed Dak to be in that 7-13 range of QBs. The very top last year was Wilson, Jackson, Mahomes, and Watson. Dak was in the tier right after that. The numbers support that. The facts support that. Andy Dalton has NEVER done what Dak did. He had 9 years to try and has not. Even when Dak was having his sophmore slump, not uncommon in the NFL, he was STILL putting up numbers that would be better than most of Dalton's seasons.

The fact that you had to try and ignore a 30 INT season to try to make the case that the numbers are faulty is silly. The 30 INTs ARE NUMBERS and can be measured. When you look at ALL of Dak's numbers they are better than Dalton and Dalton cannot say he did not have talent when he had a top 3 WR for most of his career.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Except that Winston threw 30 INTs which you knew. Throwing 30 INTs kind of is a red flag. Dak did not have that red flag. He did not have to throw 30 INTs to get his passing totals. I watched pretty much every team at least once. Reality showed Dak to be in that 7-13 range of QBs. The very top last year was Wilson, Jackson, Mahomes, and Watson. Dak was in the tier right after that. The numbers support that. The facts support that. Andy Dalton has NEVER done what Dak did. He had 9 years to try and has not. Even when Dak was having his sophmore slump, not uncommon in the NFL, he was STILL putting up numbers that would be better than most of Dalton's seasons.

The fact that you had to try and ignore a 30 INT season to try to make the case that the numbers are faulty is silly. The 30 INTs ARE NUMBERS and can be measured. When you look at ALL of Dak's numbers they are better than Dalton and Dalton cannot say he did not have talent when he had a top 3 WR for most of his career.
Except nothing. He had similar stats Dak fanboy. Reality shows Dak to be on the same level as Dalton and Kirk Cousins. Dak is junk and I guarantee he’ll never win nothing aka a SB as a starter because he’s average and we can bet whatever on that

Adreme

Reaction score
Except nothing. He had similar stats Dak fanboy. Reality shows Dak to be on the same level as Dalton and Kirk Cousins. Dak is junk and I guarantee he’ll never win nothing aka a SB as a starter because he’s average and we can bet whatever on that
30 INTS makes them not similar hater. That is a VERY big distinction. If Winston had 8-15 INTs he would be a starting QB with a starting job right now cashing in on his own mega deal. I believe you are smart enough to know that. I simply believe you are being intentionally dishonest rather than the alternative of you do not know how football works and what an INT is.

I took ALL the stats of Dak and compared them to the best seasons of Dalton and one season of Dak was better than any season Dalton put together in 9 years. Dalton is a solid backup but he is not in the same league as Dak. That is reality.

Wanting something to be true does not make it true and the facts and numbers do not back your claim unless you do what you did which actually undermined your point because the only way you could find to create a shortcoming was knowingly try to cherry pick stats to create an argument that they are in any way similar which showed there is no factual argument against Dak as a top 7-13 QB right now

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh it’s leverage..

Dallas can play the season without Dak now and have minimal if any drop off at the QB position.
Lmao Decision making alone you couldn’t be more wrong

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
30 INTS makes them not similar hater. That is a VERY big distinction. If Winston had 8-15 INTs he would be a starting QB with a starting job right now cashing in on his own mega deal. I believe you are smart enough to know that. I simply believe you are being intentionally dishonest rather than the alternative of you do not know how football works and what an INT is.

I took ALL the stats of Dak and compared them to the best seasons of Dalton and one season of Dak was better than any season Dalton put together in 9 years. Dalton is a solid backup but he is not in the same league as Dak. That is reality.

Wanting something to be true does not make it true and the facts and numbers do not back your claim unless you do what you did which actually undermined your point because the only way you could find to create a shortcoming was knowingly try to cherry pick stats to create an argument that they are in any way similar which showed there is no factual argument against Dak as a top 7-13 QB right now
The stupidity and inaccuracies in this post, as well as the run on sentences, are mind blowing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Put Dak in Cincy and he may have never seen a 2nd contract.

Dalton in Dallas can get Dak Prescott like results because the foundation here is much more optimal for a QB to play in then the worst franchise in all of pro sports that is the Bengals.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
In 2019 he was pretty average but like I said you're not used to top shelf stuff so Dak average self impressed you. Jameis was also near the top of the league in almost every measurable so that shows you how much that truly means.

Yeah, it means they would've been in the playoffs if he hadn't thrown 30 interceptions. You ignore stats when they don't suit you and jump on them when they do - that's a form of confirmation bias. It's illogical.

Just stick with "Dak sucks and I don't like him" and stop cherry-picking ways to pretend it's anything more than your feelz. You're not fooling anyone.