Twitter: Archer: Rico running with the ones

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Carmichael played 4 years of football in college, Rico is so far behind Carmichael coming into the NFL I seriously doubt he'd ever be nearly as good as Carmichael, just too much to learn and not enough time, especially since he has missed so much due to injuries.

At best he'll be a spot player, not that teams don't have spot players who provide value to the team, but to expect him to be a major threat to defenses is unrealistic, imho...

If Rico can score TD's and bully guys when he gets the ball in his hands then he can be a huge asset to us.

We don't need him to be a master of the position. Just go put points on the board in the tightest area of the field.

If I can get Gronk in the passing game and the stipulation is he'll miss some assignments here and there then i'll sign for it right now.

Also, it's not like Rico is a 29 year old player. He can still learn things. Sitting him out all last season was stupid but we had to have our Swaim out there.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm pulling for him; he has the talent. I don't see him making it.

The other guys may not have his physical ability but they are 100% football players. I'm not sure Rico knows what he is.

Well, he knows how to beat his own "booster drum" -- that's for sure!! ;)

glimmerman

Reaction score
Neither will play before the season opener, and maybe not even then...
Don’t say that. Season opener is what I am hoping they are shooting for. I heard he they could play if needed. It all precautionary. Martin is getting a second looksy. All normal sounding.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the receiving corps is as bad as some think here, then Rico will be considered a wide receiver, like Tony Gonzales was. Of course having said that, Gonzales never played in a SB, so using Rico that way might not be worth while...

So, only TE's who have played in Super Bowls are being used correctly ? Pretty bizarre opinion.

JustChip

Reaction score
I agree but film study only goes so far, without the ability by NFL rules to put that to practical use with some people it does not stick.
Agreed. Personally, I learn better from practical experience and he may be that way. But, and it's a big but, he has to want to learn, too, whether from film or on the field. His past actions have created the perception that he doesn't. I've been encouraged by his comments the last few weeks, but it could be too little, too late, or just lip service.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I actually love his pass catching ability and get excited in the red zone. I've heard his blocking is bad and sometimes he blocks the wrong guy. But geez as at least the 3rd TE. He brings value in red zone they can't leave him alone which opens up things for Zeke.
as the 3rd TE he has to play special teams...and he doesn't do that.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry on the radio this morning talking about how awesome Rico is.

They're starting to change their tune and acknowledge the obvious.

Pretty much saying teams will have to double him because of just how big and athletic he is.

6'8 with a 41 inch vertical and a natural receiver.

Tell Swaim or whatever scrub to sit tight on the waiver wire while nobody picks them up and keep Rico.
acknowledge the obvious? perhaps he is trying to make a sale and get a trade..... cheap attempt to off load him to somebody else....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow... The guy that can't block who can catch passes is running with the first team.... Unbelievable. You can actually play a Tight End who doesn't block at all because he's basically an extra receiver and make it work. You can do this Dallas.... 30 other teams do

Can't block at all? No, other teams aren't using TEs that can't block at all, and especially not teams that have a heavy run element to their offense. That's the key some don't seem to get. Our offense is very run heavy, and as such blocking is vital. A more pass heavy team is more able to use TEs that are really just larger receivers. A run heavy team requires more well rounded TE's. If Rico were Gronkowski that would be different, but despite the fact some fans seem almost ready to declare him to have that kind of talent, it would be wrong to assume that.

That said, maybe the Cowboys are seeing enough improvement in his blocking to give him more of a shot. Maybe that's why he is seeing some first team reps now.

Something else to remember is that the shortcoming may not be entirely about blocking. Rico is missing about 9-10 years of fundamental learning, and developing instincts and understanding details and nuances of the game that everyone else has. Hopefully the fact he is getting some first team reps is a sign that is coming along as well.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Carmichael played 4 years of football in college, Rico is so far behind Carmichael coming into the NFL I seriously doubt he'd ever be nearly as good as Carmichael, just too much to learn and not enough time, especially since he has missed so much due to injuries.

At best he'll be a spot player, not that teams don't have spot players who provide value to the team, but to expect him to be a major threat to defenses is unrealistic, imho...
well, you don't get it. Rico has the same height and is bigger, so he is better (so says Rico fan club)....just stop with your meaningful Logic and follow the frenzy!!!! :facepalm:

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Used correctly as a red zone target, there shouldn't be anyone in the league who should be able to catch a ball at a higher point than Rico. Just throw the ball up and he should come down with it.

It's up to Rico to be able to be more than that and I hope he does.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Looking forward to ABC playing this song once Rico makes an endzone TD catch...and they cut off to commercial. :D:cool:
:flagwave::yourock:
RRRRIIIICCCCOOOO SSSSUUUUAAAAVVVVE

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Can't block at all? No, other teams aren't using TEs that can't block at all, and especially not teams that have a heavy run element to their offense. That's the key some don't seem to get. Our offense is very run heavy, and as such blocking is vital. A more pass heavy team is more able to use TEs that are really just larger receivers. A run heavy team requires more well rounded TE's. If Rico were Gronkowski that would be different, but despite the fact some fans seem almost ready to declare him to have that kind of talent, it would be wrong to assume that.

The Cowboys acknowledge he can block. It's just who to block is the problem.

Rico has been very Gronk like in the pass game for us in the pre-season.

Redzone threat and a bully with the ball in his hands.

He's shown more then our other 3 tight ends combined ever have. I'm sure they block well though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Used correctly as a red zone target, there shouldn't be anyone in the league who should be able to catch a ball at a higher point than Rico. Just throw the ball up and he should come down with it.

It's up to Rico to be able to be more than that and I hope he does.

Just that alone has tremendous value.

He's also shown that he's hard to bring down after the catch.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I heard Jerry on the radio this morning. I get he feeling that Rico just might squeeze into the final 53.
Going to be real dicey on who makes this team this year. Very hard to keep 4 TEs and no way they through in the towel on the rookie Shultz.
They may need to keep more WRs than normal too.
I also doubt they want to risk losing Mike White from the PS, though he seems the logical choice to go there.
So many other spots contested too
Tough stuff.

JustChip

Reaction score

Hmmm.....why don't we just sign Manute Bol or Yao Ming? :)

It's up to Rico to be able to be more than......

That is an absolutely spot on statement.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think they are planning on keeping him if he gets his assignments down. I don’t think they are talking him up to trade him. You wouldn’t get anything for him in a trade. A 6th or 7th? He made a great play reaching over that db and grabbing the ball. It bailed Dak out of a int.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think they are planning on keeping him if he gets his assignments down. I don’t think they are talking him up to trade him. You wouldn’t get anything for him in a trade. A 6th or 7th? He made a great play reaching over that db and grabbing the ball. It bailed Dak out of a int.
Uhhhh, you lost me at "Dak", Glim. o_O

millennial_legend

Reaction score
That was Mike White. Terrible throw.

Don't insult Dak like that. We were winning 10-0 with Dak and based on how great our defense played, it would have been 20-0 or better in our favor if we had kept Dak out there the whole first half. If we also had Zeke and the full OL... probably 31-0.

Yes, we technically lost the game, but that's a game we win in a blowout if we were regular season. Moral loss for the Bungles.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Yeah yeah sure kid... What has he been doing the past two and a half years besides recording silly *** rap tracks? I have no problem with what you do outside of football but you better understand blocking concepts and proper route running after damn near three years.