Twitter: Archer: Rico running with the ones

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is amazing. We might actually have a dangerous offense.
!!?? why? because Rico, who has never played and NFL game and never had a catch and has been injured half his time in dallas and is a 4th stringer is now getting 1st team snaps!!! lets measure him for a yellow jacket and get his bust ready for canton!!!

kool it people. he still sucks

Blake

Reaction score
Well, at least he's getting an opportunity to build up his resume for the other teams. Thanks coach Jones.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Exactly. You think the teams care if Gronk, Graham, Gates, Gonzalez, Kelce, etc are great blockers or not? Absolutely not. For one, those TEs make up for that with how they stretch the field and another, the slow, blocking TE are becoming a thing of the past.
they are good blockers not great.....ther in lies the rub....rico can't block worth a craaap...those guys are complete TEs...rico is an almost has been

jrumann59

Reaction score
Year 1 - His first year in football
Year 2 - Injured and then IRed

Rico should be further along, but the coaches share some responsibility for that. Management is a job too.

This year he seems to have gotten it that he needs to learn to block. I'd like him to be farther along, but he only has one accrued season. If he's showing progress, I'd stick with him.
They IRed him so technically he cannot do any football related activities like practice route running or blocking during the season, hence why it was stupid to have him on the 53 man last year. His lost time is more detrimental than for other players.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
This I believe.

The guy has acted like a spoiled brat ever since they signed him. You know how to handle spoiled brats? You do whatever necessary to instill work ethic in them, stop feeding their ego and make them earn anything & everything moving forward. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't have the respect of your peers, you're just an average Joe. This guy needed to mature, needed to learn how to appreciate the tools he was given and needed to become humble. As a coach in any sport, what is the best way to enforce these 'life lessons' into a player? Sit him on the bench, throw him in right field, make him IA for games or throw him with the 4th team. From someone who has been in his shoes, to a much lesser degree, you learn really quick the lessons noted above. 'This I believe' X's 2, my man!!!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
For those of you saying the guy can't block, you clearly don't care about the potential we have in him and haven't been watching him block his *** off this preseason when given the opportunity to do so.

I'm sure his walking papers last year were to work on his blocking in the off-season and it is clear to me he has done that.... 20 20 vision here.

jrumann59

Reaction score
they are good blockers not great.....ther in lies the rub....rico can't block worth a craaap...those guys are complete TEs...rico is an almost has been
They were adequate, their teams were pretty good at making sure they did not block as much as Witten did. All those guys are usually in patterns inside the 20, because most of their teams were passing teams.

CWR

Reaction score
Wow... The guy that can't block who can catch passes is running with the first team.... Unbelievable. You can actually play a Tight End who doesn't block at all because he's basically an extra receiver and make it work. You can do this Dallas.... 30 other teams do

Hes a capable blocker if he knows his damn assignments. He has hands as well, if he knows his damn routes. Rico's problems are Rico's problems. Its hard to blame the organization for his lack of work ethic. Hopefully he's overcome that and is ready to be for real. Id hate to waste his talent.

Frozen700

Reaction score
!!?? why? because Rico, who has never played and NFL game and never had a catch and has been injured half his time in dallas and is a 4th stringer is now getting 1st team snaps!!! lets measure him for a yellow jacket and get his bust ready for canton!!!

kool it people. he still sucks

Nah because we might actually have a legit redzone threat

JustChip

Reaction score
Wow... The guy that can't block who can catch passes is running with the first team.... Unbelievable. You can actually play a Tight End who doesn't block at all because he's basically an extra receiver and make it work. You can do this Dallas.... 30 other teams do
Ok, so which is the other team that doesn't do it?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This offense has not demonstrated the creativity required to showcase a guy like rico. The TE's in Garrets offense have designated assignments and routes. The TE has to adapt to the offense. Its never going to be the other way around.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Here is what I have seen with regards to Rico's blocking: a willing blocker, but often taking bad angles and using poor leverage. Again, these are things that can be taught and improved upon.

As an aside -- and, maybe I am just cranky this morning -- I don't get the comments that he is finally been "given" the opportunity with the first team. Opportunity is something that is earned, something that is seized. I am not sure he has earned anything yet.

JustChip

Reaction score
This.

They were talking about it on local sports radio yesterday. He made a great block on one play. Unfortunately, the block was on his fellow TE, Schultz.
I heard the same. It was a rub route and he picked Schultz instead of the defender. I also heard JJT say he was told by member of the coaching staff that Rico can't identify the difference between an over-front and an under-front. If that's the case, there's no way to know who to block. The problem with simply saying we don't need Rico to block is that he has to be able to recognize what the defense it doing so he can act/adjust accordingly, be it as a blocker or receiver.