Twitter: Archer: Rico running with the ones

JustChip

Reaction score
Here is what I have seen with regards to Rico's blocking: a willing blocker, but often taking bad angles and using poor leverage. Again, these are things that can be taught and improved upon.

As an aside -- and, maybe I am just cranky this morning -- I don't get the comments that he is finally been "given" the opportunity with the first team. Opportunity is something that is earned, something that is seized. I am not sure he has earned anything yet.

:hammer:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This offense has not demonstrated the creativity required to showcase a guy like rico. The TE's in Garrets offense have designated assignments and routes. The TE has to adapt to the offense. Its never going to be the other way around.
what!!! show case a guy like Rico!!! what has Rico done to need to be show cased...... he hasn't done squat and hasn't been capable of doing squat...he himself admits that he should know the playbook better...after freaking 3 years on the team!!!! give me a break. he is a myth in the minds of the rico fan club.

JustChip

Reaction score
They IRed him so technically he cannot do any football related activities like practice route running or blocking during the season, hence why it was stupid to have him on the 53 man last year. His lost time is more detrimental than for other players.
No, but he could spend time in the film room studying and learning. Maybe he did, I don't know. But considering he hasn't played organized football since 8th grade, that would be paramount for him in my opinion.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
if the other team played their 3rd and 4th stringers, you might be right...

and all of this for maybe potentially 1 or 2 TD in a season in redzone...maybe....damn the rest of the game.

May be they're trying to get some other team to bite on a potential trade. May be trying one last ditch look to see if he can handle the tight end job. May be they have set on their starter(s) and are trying to mislead other teams as to who will be the starter.

Wouldn't read too much into his running with the 1s, doesn't mean they think he's going to be the no. 1 tight end come season opener...

garyv

Reaction score
Ol Rico “No shot” Gathers is what some of them zone boys whisper
I actually love his pass catching ability and get excited in the red zone. I've heard his blocking is bad and sometimes he blocks the wrong guy. But geez as at least the 3rd TE. He brings value in red zone they can't leave him alone which opens up things for Zeke.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what!!! show case a guy like Rico!!! what has Rico done to need to be show cased...... he hasn't done squat and hasn't been capable of doing squat...he himself admits that he should know the playbook better...after freaking 3 years on the team!!!! give me a break. he is a myth in the minds of the rico fan club.

Rico might be the greatest TE never to play the game. :)

Kidding aside, my point is that there is no way Rico can play TE in this offense. He can't block which is a cornerstone of what TE's do in this offense. So, if the plan is to use him , Garret would have to design packages that showcase what Rico can do which I assume is catch the ball..........its not happening.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It seems the staff and this organization has given him 2 years and slowly bringing him in this preseason to give him every chance to have learned what he needs to make it. Now is the time. It’s coinciding with the 3rd game (the dress rehearsal). Put him in with the 1s and let him go.

One hold back could be injuries to starting O-Line. If we hold Fred and Martin out (precaution) then Dak won’t play the whole first half. He may not get the full chance he wants.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jerry on the radio this morning talking about how awesome Rico is.

They're starting to change their tune and acknowledge the obvious.

Pretty much saying teams will have to double him because of just how big and athletic he is.

6'8 with a 41 inch vertical and a natural receiver.

Tell Swaim or whatever scrub to sit tight on the waiver wire while nobody picks them up and keep Rico.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He's not shown much other than getting high pass receptions, but which of the other guys have lit it up?

They will probably keep 3 tight ends on the roster, if he's number 3 on the depth chart, he won't play much anyway.

Not too concerned if he does make the final 53, tight end on this team is the weakest position, his height and leaping ability might be important in a close game...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It seems the staff and this organization has given him 2 years and slowly bringing him in this preseason to give him every chance to have learned what he needs to make it. Now is the time. It’s coinciding with the 3rd game (the dress rehearsal). Put him in with the 1s and let him go.

One hold back could be injuries to starting O-Line. If we hold Fred and Martin out (precaution) then Dak won’t play the whole first half. He may not get the full chance he wants.

Neither will play before the season opener, and maybe not even then...

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Wow... The guy that can't block who can catch passes is running with the first team.... Unbelievable. You can actually play a Tight End who doesn't block at all because he's basically an extra receiver and make it work. You can do this Dallas.... 30 other teams do
The Eagles do it with Ertz because they line him up as a slot receiver (opposite side of Agholor) and run out of the gun, usually a 5 man line vs. a 6 man box which gives the offense a huge advantage if the o-linemen do their job. If Ertz has to block, it's usually him blocking a small linebacker or a safety, never a 240+ pounder.

Ertz, Jimmy Graham, or Rico can block smaller guys just fine.

It's much, MUCH better than going stupid tights-pair 22 formation and running against 8 and 9 man boxes... just stupid.

jrumann59

Reaction score
No, but he could spend time in the film room studying and learning. Maybe he did, I don't know. But considering he hasn't played organized football since 8th grade, that would be paramount for him in my opinion.
I agree but film study only goes so far, without the ability by NFL rules to put that to practical use with some people it does not stick.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Rico might be the greatest TE never to play the game. :)

Kidding aside, my point is that there is no way Rico can play TE in this offense. He can't block which is a cornerstone of what TE's do in this offense. So, if the plan is to use him , Garret would have to design packages that showcase what Rico can do which I assume is catch the ball..........its not happening.

If the receiving corps is as bad as some think here, then Rico will be considered a wide receiver, like Tony Gonzales was. Of course having said that, Gonzales never played in a SB, so using Rico that way might not be worth while...

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Call me crazy, but when I see Rico, I think of Harold Carmichael. Rico is a lot heavier, of course and Carmichael, from what I recall, was more fluid.

Carmichael was a multi-sport athlete, competing in football, basketball and track. Did you know, he actually began his career as a TE with the Eagles before moving to WR?

At this point on their careers, Carmichael was the more polished player.

What's my point? I just remember what a match-up nightmare Carmichael was with the Eagles. It would be incredible if Rico could develop a la Carmichael.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Knock us out. It’d be huge if the guy could actually play.
It's what I've said all along, even in May, June... April.

Gathers, Gallup, Antwan Woods (base downs only), Gregory (mostly pass downs), and C. Williams should all be starters... I don't give a rat's *** that they are younger or less tenured, you put your best players out there to win.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's what I've said all along, even in May, June... April.

Gathers, Gallup, Antwan Woods (base downs only), Gregory (mostly pass downs), and C. Williams should all be starters... I don't give a rat's *** that they are younger or less tenured, you put your best players out there to win.

I would actually go with Taco over Gregory on earlier downs.

Charlton looks good this year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but when I see Rico, I think of Harold Carmichael. Rico is a lot heavier, of course and Carmichael, from what I recall, was more fluid.

Carmichael was a multi-sport athlete, competing in football, basketball and track. Did you know, he actually began his career as a TE with the Eagles before moving to WR?

What's my point? I just remember what a match-up nightmare Carmichael was with the Eagles. It would be incredible if Rico could develop a la Carmichael.

Carmichael played 4 years of football in college, Rico is so far behind Carmichael coming into the NFL I seriously doubt he'd ever be nearly as good as Carmichael, just too much to learn and not enough time, especially since he has missed so much due to injuries.

At best he'll be a spot player, not that teams don't have spot players who provide value to the team, but to expect him to be a major threat to defenses is unrealistic, imho...

Plankton

Reaction score

What I remember best about Harold Carmichael are two things:
  1. His at-the-time NFL record for consecutive games with a catch was ended by the Cowboys at Texas Stadium in 1980. Dennis Thurman laid him out on the sidelines, and knocked him out of the game.
  2. He ended his career with the Cowboys in 1984.