Are Cowboys closer to a champ game with McCarthy?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No!
We consistently get outcoach during the playoffs.
What coach other than McCarthy couldn't see the Packers game plan coming?
Three years straight we've been outcoach. Tell me what's going to change in year 4? :huh:

75boyz

Reaction score
The point remains McCarthy hasn’t had any more success in the playoffs. As I started off the original post stated” I’d like to think we are closer”. And added “ 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons and playoff appearances best mark this era”.

But it remains arguable whether we are any closer to a champ game appearance than those 5 years(from 2014-18) with 3 Divisional Round appearances .

Which is remarkable considering what a more deserving , experienced and successful head coach McCarthy is not to mention more regular season success.

The fact Garrett had no qualifications to become a HC and no prospects since punctuates how deflating it is for the rest of our HC’s this era that they haven’t had anymore playoff success nor taken us any closer to a Champ game appearance.
As stated in my post #25...
McCheese wins regular season games more consistently than his predecessor.
The discussion ends there.
McCheese is NOT a playoff gameday advantage as a coach but IS a liability.

As each year passes, his one SB win appears more to be a fluke based on his former 1st ballot HOF QB's talent than ANY coaching that he contributed.

He's a playoff fraud just like his current QB.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That is because Jason Garrett only made the playoffs 3 times in his 10 yr tenure as head coach................he missed the playoffs 70% of the time.

Fat Mike has been here 4 years and has made the playoffs 3 times already and the one year he missed the playoffs was the Covid year.

I'm sorry, but if one coach misses the playoffs 70% of the time and the other coach makes the playoffs 75% of the time and could have been 100% of the time if not for a world wide pandemic, then there is no comparison to be made. Jason Garrett was the most unqualified, untalented, and undeserving head coach the Cowboys have ever had and Fat Mike getting beat in the 1st round every single year does not change that.
OP is desperate for his pet Garrett to be as good as McCarthy. It took Garrett four years to even make the playoffs. Lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OP is desperate for his pet Garrett to be as good as McCarthy. It took Garrett four years to even make the playoffs. Lol.
He’ll never be as good as McCarthy who has a SB Ring and an impressive success rate but unfortunately here in Dallas like other HC this era haven’t been able to lead the Cowboys to anymore success in the playoffs than Garrett.

It’s becoming more of an embarrassment on their behalf than any achievement made by Garrett the fact our least qualified and inexperienced HC in Cowboys history still has more Divisional Round appearances this era.

Hadenough

Reaction score
That is because Jason Garrett only made the playoffs 3 times in his 10 yr tenure as head coach................he missed the playoffs 70% of the time.

Fat Mike has been here 4 years and has made the playoffs 3 times already and the one year he missed the playoffs was the Covid year.

I'm sorry, but if one coach misses the playoffs 70% of the time and the other coach makes the playoffs 75% of the time and could have been 100% of the time if not for a world wide pandemic, then there is no comparison to be made. Jason Garrett was the most unqualified, untalented, and undeserving head coach the Cowboys have ever had and Fat Mike getting beat in the 1st round every single year does not change that.
The scary part is if Jason was so bad which I agree he was. Jerry holding onto him for so long makes Jerry look like an idiot.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It’s becoming more of an embarrassment on their behalf than any achievement made by Garrett the fact our least qualified and inexperienced HC in Cowboys history still has more Divisional Round appearances this era.
Garrett was also here over twice as long. And faced easier divisions. But I guess we'll just ignore those facts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett was also here over twice as long. And faced easier divisions. But I guess we'll just ignore those facts.
Here’s some facts for you .

Gailey 2yrs- zero Div Rds
Campo- 3yrs - zero Div Rds
Parcells-4 yrs- zero Div Rds
Zero playoff wins in 9 years
Phillips - 3 full seasons - 2 Div Rds 1 playoff win.
Garrett- 9 full seasons - 3 Div Rds- 2 playoff wins
McCarthy- 4 yrs- 1 Div Rd- 1 playoff win

Summarize Comparison:

5 HC’s in 16 full seasons 3 Div Rd appearances as Garrett in 9 full seasons .

5 HC’s in 16 full seasons 2 playoff wins same as Garrett in 9 full seasons

I’d also note that Garrett combined as HC and OC has 5 of the 6 Div Rd appearances this era and 3 of the 4 playoff wins in 13 seasons .

It is what it is . Spin it how you will.

The Cowboys have suked this era in the playoffs and failed to reach the Champ game. But despite whatever we think of Garrett we had more success with him the playoffs that the rest combined. Which probably speaks more to the lack of success for the Cowboys this era but nevertheless Garrett record stands above the rest so far. Truly remarkable!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Here’s some facts for you .

Gailey 2yrs- zero Div Rds
Campo- 3yrs - zero Div Rds
Parcells-4 yrs- zero Div Rds
Zero playoff wins in 9 years
Phillips - 3 full seasons - 2 Div Rds 1 playoff win.
Garrett- 9 full seasons - 3 Div Rds- 2 playoff wins
McCarthy- 4 yrs- 1 Div Rd- 1 playoff win

Summarize Comparison:

5 HC’s in 16 full seasons 3 Div Rd appearances as Garrett in 9 full seasons .

5 HC’s in 16 full seasons 2 playoff wins same as Garrett in 9 full seasons

I’d also note that Garrett combined as HC and OC has 5 of the 6 Div Rd appearances this era and 3 of the 4 playoff wins in 13 seasons .

It is what it is . Spin it how you will.

The Cowboys have suked this era in the playoffs and failed to reach the Champ game. But despite whatever we think of Garrett we had more success with him the playoffs that the rest combined. Which probably speaks more to the lack of success for the Cowboys this era but nevertheless Garrett record stands above the rest so far. Truly remarkable!!
No spin required. What this shows beyond any doubt is that talent matters.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The scary part is if Jason was so bad which I agree he was. Jerry holding onto him for so long makes Jerry look like an idiot.
I remember after like year three Jerry being asked if Garrett should be fired.

The response was something to the effect of ‘probably, but then we would lose all the time invested in being a head coach in training.’

I should have known better at that moment and jumped ship but he usually says dumb things and I wasn’t ready at that point. I’m about there now though.

Every team has holes in its roster. It comes down to masking your own and exploiting that of others, which falls entirely on coaching….which we are always the loser on because it’s more important for Jerry to be able to do what he wants than have talented enough coaches to outscheme opponents.

I’m truly sick of his act.

TooTallEddie

Reaction score
Our offense sometimes looks like world beaters, flying up and down the field with abandon. But when we are having a bad day, or the defense playing well against us, we really look bad. We can't run the ball, our receivers can't get open, the oline can't block the pass rush, and Dak can't handle pressure.

Great teams dominate the opposition. They impose their will on others. We have really good moments, but I don't feel like we are dominant on offense, certainly not on defense when the big games are played.

How do we get there? This is McCarthy's last chance to figure it out or let the next guy try.

LysleE

Reaction score
I don’t see why the upcoming season will be any different than previous seasons…regardless of who is coaching, or playing QB. Although the physical talent is there there is no accountability and the culture promotes mediocrity, inconsistently and complacency.
Of course the players play a part in this, but I think the bulk of the blame has to be shared by the FO and MM…they set the standard, especially when the players are unable (or unwilling) do that themselves.
So unless there is a material shift in the culture within the organization I am expecting to maintain status quo.
I mean can you imagine any of the 90s Cowboys admitting they lost a playoff game because they were tired or burned out…isn’t that why you play the game?

GORICO

Reaction score
I’d like to think so. Our 1st three consecutive playoff appearances and 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons are definitely our best mark this era.

But if playoff success is the ultimate measurement and getting closer to appearing in a championship game , are we really closer?

We have only made it to the Divisional round once under McCarthy in this 3 year streak. And he still only has 1 playoff win.

MM is arguably our best HC this era , at least since Bill. He at least came to us with a SB ring and long history of success in Green Bay. And I think most would or have argued this is our most talented roster this era or at least since Bill. And who knows if Jethro would attract a more experienced or named HC.

So , how were the Cowboys able to have more playoff success from 2014- 2018 with 3 Divisional round appearances which can be argued took us closer to championship appearances than under MM.

It could be argued 2014 and 2016 we were the closet. Losing one opportunity to the Dez catch that wasn’t in Green Bay and a miraculous 3rd and 20 by Rodgers against same team.

I haven’t seen a Cowboys playoff team under MM which looked as good or on the threshold of advancing as either of those teams . And we didn’t ever lay as big of egg choking in playoffs either.

I obviously wouldn’t want to go back but in the end if we don’t have any more success with this team I think there could come a time we give some props to our most under qualified and least experienced HC in Cowboys history. One who at least so far had the best 5 year stretch ( if we are counting playoff success) this era.

Which might be a stronger argument in how bad this era has been that a HC like that would have had the most playoff success this era.
mr Die---now that i realize you are probably older than me and i am 65...i must show cowboy respect...but

to answer your question...one word...actually 6...big Fat Negatori with Fat Mike

Brax

Reaction score
How long after someone punches you in the face does it take you to realize you ve been punched in teh face? for many, dont let them lie to you, it takes a long time.
Apparently 8 years and counting

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
McCarthy is not the dude.

The Jones know it too. They just aren't willing to do aything about it. They either don't want to admit that they made yet another awful coaching decision or they are too cheap to pay two head coach salaries.

You pick which is worse.