Are Cowboys closer to a champ game with McCarthy?

CWR

Reaction score
mr fivetwos--- i got to agree...when i watched how Chief HC Reid totally outcoach 9ers in second half with inferior team and made them look silly

in the end....shows you how important a HC is....Fat Mike only got lucky in 2010 cause he had Rogers....who can he think he is foolin"...come on man

only shows Jones's are so fat dumb and happy comiserating on their super yacht worth north of quarter billion with an 8 billion dollar team....it starts at top

Jerry needs to humble himself and fire himself once and for all and bring in a real HC....i too am truly sick of his act
I really liked how the defense called the perfect play on 3rd down too. Purdy had zero chance with the pass rush bearing down immediately. It was refreshing to see the call, rather than playing it conservative.

CWR

Reaction score
Not if a key player says "We were tired" at the end of the season, playing the same number of games like the rest of the league. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." Needs to weed out those sucking air.
Fatigue can be corrected with the right coaches. It's a pretty big indictment our staff is too soft on these pansies.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Hey say all you want about D-Law and Dak but please leave the Deer alone!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deer have a certain "gaze" usually when hit with the bright lights of cars, trucks, NFL stadiums, etc.
Jeez, they are too stupid to know any better and panic but on the other hand, they eat grass, and leaves, (Green like the color of money) help out other animals with good gestures whenever they can, and always try to improve themselves and quick to take responsibility if they get run over by a Mack truck.
Save the Deer and Dish the D+D combo!!!
You forgot 'smoke grass' LOL

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
what do you guys want? you can be competitive or you can have dak, choose one, and live with it.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
No!
We consistently get outcoach during the playoffs.
What coach other than McCarthy couldn't see the Packers game plan coming?
Three years straight we've been outcoach. Tell me what's going to change in year 4? :huh:
He and his QB's names are interchangeable at this point.
McPrescott and PresCarthy.

They're one in the same as both are huge playoff frauds.

My broken record continues...
Every single trickle down of negative play is a direct result of the Head Coach and/or QB or both, not performing their job responsibilities properly.

The Dallas Cowboy head coach and quarterback suck at playoff football.
They can't be fixed.

ALL other discussions are secondary to this primary team flaw.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He and his QB's names are interchangeable at this point.
McPrescott and PresCarthy.

They're one in the same as both are huge playoff frauds.

My broken record continues...
Every single trickle down of negative play is a direct result of the Head Coach and/or QB or both, not performing their job responsibilities properly.

The Dallas Cowboy head coach and quarterback suck at playoff football.
They can't be fixed.

ALL other discussions are secondary to this primary team flaw.
Yep!
I just knew Mahomes was going to mount a comeback and Andy Reid was going to call a play tailor-made to produce a touchdown.
That is what legendary quarterbacks and legendary coaches do.

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
Look at some of his postseason performances (Seattle, Giants, 49ers twice) with GB. He had an arguable top 5 QB ever. He still got outcoached and they only got to a SB, albeit a win, once.

MM would need a top two D, elite offense, and stars everywhere to get to a SB.

75boyz

Reaction score
Look at some of his postseason performances (Seattle, Giants, 49ers twice) with GB. He had an arguable top 5 QB ever. He still got outcoached and they only got to a SB, albeit a win, once.

MM would need a top two D, elite offense, and stars everywhere to get to a SB.
Exactly.
Others prop McFraud up while I say he fluked into the one trophy he did win while at the same time "grossly underachieved" with Rodgers in his prime.

McFraud.

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
Exactly.
Others prop McFraud up while I say he fluked into the one trophy he did win while at the same time "grossly underachieved" with Rodgers in his prime.

McFraud.
Oh definitely. The career Mahomes is currently having is what Rodgers was supposed to have. That's obviously not just on Mike. But if he can only get to one SB with prime Rodgers. Well, I don't like his odds getting to one with Dak.

75boyz

Reaction score
Oh definitely. The career Mahomes is currently having is what Rodgers was supposed to have. That's obviously not just on Mike. But if he can only get to one SB with prime Rodgers. Well, I don't like his odds getting to one with Dak.
Exactly.
And the odds don't even exist with SleepNumber at QB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So , how were the Cowboys able to have more playoff success from 2014- 2018 with 3 Divisional round appearances which can be argued took us closer to championship appearances than under MM.

It could be argued 2014 and 2016 we were the closet. Losing one opportunity to the Dez catch that wasn’t in Green Bay and a miraculous 3rd and 20 by Rodgers against same team.

I haven’t seen a Cowboys playoff team under MM which looked as good or on the threshold of advancing as either of those teams . And we didn’t ever lay as big of egg choking in playoffs either.
I think that those teams didn't do better is really an indictment against Garrett. We weren't good enough on defense, but an offense that had the parts to be elite wasn't because of coaching.

Of course, as I say that, I also realize this offense has come up short in our trips under McCarthy (first two years were with a Garrett disciple, though) while the defense has been better than what we put on the field during those Garrett years. Was hoping for different results this year with McCarthy taking the reins but we obviously didn't get them.

My belief is that the primary reason why the results weren't any better, why we've come up short, are the men behind the curtain. Even in the 1990s, we needed to make a move, like trading for Charles Haley, to break down the door. This front office has been headstrong about leaning on the draft and only making small moves outside of that, mostly cheap ones. That's left us short of the few vital pieces we've needed to break through.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think that those teams didn't do better is really an indictment against Garrett. We weren't good enough on defense, but an offense that had the parts to be elite wasn't because of coaching.

Of course, as I say that, I also realize this offense has come up short in our trips under McCarthy (first two years were with a Garrett disciple, though) while the defense has been better than what we put on the field during those Garrett years. Was hoping for different results this year with McCarthy taking the reins but we obviously didn't get them.

My belief is that the primary reason why the results weren't any better, why we've come up short, are the men behind the curtain. Even in the 1990s, we needed to make a move, like trading for Charles Haley, to break down the door. This front office has been headstrong about leaning on the draft and only making small moves outside of that, mostly cheap ones. That's left us short of the few vital pieces we've needed to break through.
I’m not really trying to break down the causes of why this team hasn’t had more success reaching as many divisional rounds than prior HC but merely the fact they haven’t yet.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I’d like to think so. Our 1st three consecutive playoff appearances and 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons are definitely our best mark this era.

But if playoff success is the ultimate measurement and getting closer to appearing in a championship game , are we really closer?

We have only made it to the Divisional round once under McCarthy in this 3 year streak. And he still only has 1 playoff win.

MM is arguably our best HC this era , at least since Bill. He at least came to us with a SB ring and long history of success in Green Bay. And I think most would or have argued this is our most talented roster this era or at least since Bill. And who knows if Jethro would attract a more experienced or named HC.

So , how were the Cowboys able to have more playoff success from 2014- 2018 with 3 Divisional round appearances which can be argued took us closer to championship appearances than under MM.

It could be argued 2014 and 2016 we were the closet. Losing one opportunity to the Dez catch that wasn’t in Green Bay and a miraculous 3rd and 20 by Rodgers against same team.

I haven’t seen a Cowboys playoff team under MM which looked as good or on the threshold of advancing as either of those teams . And we didn’t ever lay as big of egg choking in playoffs either.

I obviously wouldn’t want to go back but in the end if we don’t have any more success with this team I think there could come a time we give some props to our most under qualified and least experienced HC in Cowboys history. One who at least so far had the best 5 year stretch ( if we are counting playoff success) this era.

Which might be a stronger argument in how bad this era has been that a HC like that would have had the most playoff success this era.
First, I would LOVE to be wrong. If next year's team advances to the NFCC, I'll be delighted if other fans can tell me, "See, I told you so." If, when McCarthy was hired, you had told me the future, that McCarthy would coach the team to a 12 and 5 record three years in a row, and you told me nothing else, I would have been thrilled. For sure having such a good record consistently would translate to playoff success, right? Unfortunately, it's translated to exactly ONE playoff victory in a wildcard game, and several embarrassing and awful losses, especially that total collapse against a 9 and 8 Green Bay team. One thing we saw from the teams that did advance to their conference championship games was that clock management was of paramount importance. Either of the two teams that advanced to the Super Bowl would have destroyed this Cowboys team. However, if somehow we had kept it close, McCarthy would have blown it via poor clock management. We saw happened in OT when the 49ers gave the ball back to Mahommes with only two minutes left, and that 49er team has a much better defense than we do. If by some miracle, this Cowboys team had been in the Super Bowl and kept it close, McCarthy would have given the game away via bad time management. But we wouldn't even have gotten that far. If we had gotten to the NFCC game, San Fran probably would have trounced us like they did in the regular season. However, if we had managed to keep it close, would you really want McCarthy in charge of our clock management? The victory over the Lions was a gift, not because of bad reffing. It should have never even gotten to that point. We had the ball with a 4-point lead and could have run the ball to wolf down most of the clock, leaving the Lions with only seconds to somehow get a TD. Instead, McCarthy calls three passes in a row, including that ridiculous low-percentage one to the endzone. The Lions should have never gotten an opportunity to score with that much time. We won anyway because Dan Campbell is a coach as ridiculous as McCarthy, just in different ways. Campbell has an ultra trouser bulge for aggressiveness. He goes for it to his team's detriment, and we lucked out that he was that stupid.
There's a lot that I like about McCarthy. I think it's obvious is a lot better than Garrett, and many coaches that this team has had. But if the goal is a championship, he's not going to get it done without a major overhaul in how he manages the clock. Jerry needs to also butt out and quit stepping on his coaches toes in those interviews which he should not even do, but that's another subject.
No, we don't have the right head coach.
And, no, we don't have the right GM.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I’d like to think so. Our 1st three consecutive playoff appearances and 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons are definitely our best mark this era.

But if playoff success is the ultimate measurement and getting closer to appearing in a championship game , are we really closer?

We have only made it to the Divisional round once under McCarthy in this 3 year streak. And he still only has 1 playoff win.

MM is arguably our best HC this era , at least since Bill. He at least came to us with a SB ring and long history of success in Green Bay. And I think most would or have argued this is our most talented roster this era or at least since Bill. And who knows if Jethro would attract a more experienced or named HC.

I obviously wouldn’t want to go back but in the end if we don’t have any more success with this team I think there could come a time we give some props to our most under qualified and least experienced HC in Cowboys history. One who at least so far had the best 5 year stretch ( if we are counting playoff success) this era.

Which might be a stronger argument in how bad this era has been that a HC like that would have had the most playoff success this era.
Better question is:
Can we even make a NFCCG with our current GM.
28 years says no.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Of course it is. OP is cherry picking the best five-year period Garrett had and comparing that to MM who hasn't even been here five years yet. He's ignoring the first three years when Garrett couldn't even get nine wins in a pitiful division and the end when he failed as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

That’s a fair analysis.

So who’s done more with less ?

Most would argue this is an overall more talented or better team. And we definitely have a more experienced and proven HC.