Are Cowboys over invested at receiver?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
BPA leading us to yet another 8-8.
I mean......the draft was never going to prevent us from going 8-8 though lol. There was no defensive player out there that was going to have that much of a impact his rookie year unless it was Chase Young.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we weren't looking at it as a rebuild, that's simply more dumbness from this org. You can call a duck a mongoose, but it's still a duck.
I get that. And you’re probably right.

But that dumbness is the status quo we must follow . And it’s certainly something we can call out like other idiocies from our organization.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes

But it would've been really tough to pass on CeeDee at 17. Certainly, the plan was not to invest yet another 1st rounder at WR, but he was too good to pass up at 17.

It' the best young WR group we have ever had and it may not even be close. Most expensive too if you include draft capital

26 year old Cooper---1st round pick AND 15 mil/yr
21 year old Lamb--1st round pick
24 year old Gallup--3rd rd pick

And then you add possibly the best RB in the league this year.....
That’s great if it’s a building block to a championship. I see it more as a luxury pick putting off shoring up this degense which puts us at least another year away from seriously contending while we obtain another shiny wheel on a wobbly wagon.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t agree with your assumption we were looking at this defense like a “ rebuild”. I’d call what you’re describing as more of a retooling.

2 years from now is a long time. Much can change. I’m only referring to this season. This is the first I’ve heard of a “ rebuild”.

That's what you do though. A rebuild doesn't take one offseason. I say two years because I'm not sure what cap constraints they will have next year but you better believe they will spend resources on the draft and add even more defensive pieces.

I'd call it a retool if they had a solid core of guys they planned on keeping but as of now I don't see any veterans that will be on this team a year or so from now. A lot of these players don't fit this personnel.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That’s great if it’s a building block to a championship. I see it more as a luxury pick putting off shoring up this degense which puts us at least another year away from seriously contending while we obtain another shiny wheel on a wobbly wagon.
I see it that way too, but unless you can get huge value in a trade down (way better than what the 17th pick brings) then I think you have to take a talent like that.

I was almost wishing that he'd get taken before us but just can't fault them for getting this guy long term. They can part with Cooper soon enough.

No denying at all that it is WR overkill when we had so many other needs.

But I'm guessing we would've taken DE Chaisson if he was gone and as it turns out, we look pretty good at DE now too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They did have a void at receiver. You need 3 or 4 solid receivers and we knew we had 2 but we didn't know what Wilson and Brown were or if they'd even be healthy.
Surely we could have found a viable slot receiver in 3rd round or so to compliment our starting cast. And we also knew we had Wilson and Brown returning.

Until this defense is addressed properly our championship hopes will be on hold.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see it that way too, but unless you can get huge value in a trade down (way better than what the 17th pick brings) then I think you have to take a talent like that.

I was almost wishing that he's get taken before us but just can't fault them for getting this guy long term. They can part with Cooper soon enough.

No denying at all that it is WR overkill when we had so many other needs.
Yep

Drafting Lamb would have been the right decision if we let Cooper go. No doubt.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They of course didn't want to get Lamb. They didn't think they'd have a shot at him. They tried to get Christian Kirk this offseason. They signed Cooper thinking they'd have a void even in a deep receiver draft.
I understand . But if we aren’t any closer because of our inept defense then these decisions will be called out as they should be.

That’s what we do here on a fan forum and the critics in media. We second guess and play Monday Morning QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Surely we could have found a viable slot receiver in 3rd round or so to compliment our starting cast. And we also knew we had Wilson and Brown returning.

Until this defense is addressed properly our championship hopes will be on hold.
They could've. They also could've addressed cornerback and defensive lineman in the 2nd and 3rd rounds which is what they did. We knew Brown and Wilson were returning but they were coming off injuries and we didn't know exactly what they were.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I mean......the draft was never going to prevent us from going 8-8 though lol. There was no defensive player out there that was going to have that much of a impact his rookie year unless it was Chase Young.

I am firmly of the mind that you can never have too many great football players, regardless of position with the possible exception of QB. Lamb has the potential to and a higher likelihood of becoming a great player than any defender there at 17 this year. That's not to say that none of the guys drafted after him will become great.. but the odds are that none of them will become greater than he will. Give me great football players and I will figure the rest out. The injuries on the defensive side of the ball have risen to such a ridiculous level that NOW Lamb looks like a luxury pick. But who the hell saw 2 of 3 starting LBs, 3 of your top 4 corners and 2 of your top 4 d-linemen would get hurt already. If you saw that coming then go ahead and buy some lotto tickets because you're clearly seeing the future.

Frankly I am fine with the talent at receiver given the way the game is played these days. Coming off the abbreviated training camp I expect guys to miss time as the season wears on. That's just football. What I didn't expect was that all of the top 3 tackles would be out this early in the season and we'd lose the starting TE just for good measure.

There is time to figure this out and getting healthy will go a long way towards helping us forget about all the superstars we passed on to draft Lamb.. ;-)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I understand . But if we aren’t any closer because of our inept defense then these decisions will be called out as they should be.

That’s what we do here on a fan forum and the critics in media. We second guess and play Monday Morning QB.
This defense was going to be inept whether we drafted Lamb in the 1st round or if we drafted Chassion or whoever else you guys wanted.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They could've. They also could've addressed cornerback and defensive lineman in the 2nd and 3rd rounds which is what they did. We knew Brown and Wilson were returning but they were coming off injuries and we didn't know exactly what they were.
We knew what they could be if healthy. If we didn’t think they had potential we shouldn’t have retained them.

Sorry, but if you can’t see we are over invested at WR then we will have to simply disagree.

Unfortunately our team appears to have taken a step back . And if this holds up then our priorities in the draft will be called out as not addressing bigger concerns and positions of weakness while fluffing up a position already strong.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This defense was going to be inept whether we drafted Lamb in the 1st round or if we drafted Chassion or whoever else you guys wanted.
That’s purely speculative because we didn’t attempt . More importantly it could have been a step in the right direction to shore it up.

Bottomline is we don’t appear to be headed in a better direction or any closer to our team goals as a result.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We knew what they could be if healthy. If we didn’t think they had potential we shouldn’t have retained them.

Sorry, but if you can’t see we are over invested at WR then we will have to simply disagree.

Unfortunately our team appears to have taken a step back . And if this holds up then our priorities in the draft will be called out as not addressing bigger concerns and positions of weakness while fluffing up a position already strong.

This ignores the fact that they went out and signed four former pro bowl d-linemen in the offseason. McCoy, Poe, Griffen and Smith were supposed to significantly upgrade the pass rush and the run defense and help the secondary not have to cover for 5 seconds. Losing McCoy clearly hurt. Then having Lawrence get dinged in week one made things worse. We already had Crawford coming off two offseason surgeries so we had no reason to expect big things out of him. Poe has been a huge disappointment and I don't think Griffen and Lawrence are comfortable in this scheme yet. Going into games Lewis, Worley and a rookie as our top three corners should scare the hell out of us. Let's pray that doesn't remain the case much longer. If it does then 40 ppg from the offense is our only chance.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Wasn't about that. They went into camp and WON their jobs. Wilson and Brown weren't given anything they won them.

You can say they are over invested but it wasn't intentional. It wasn't that they did it intentionally. They fell into it. I'm not gonna fault them for it. They get a cheap slot receiver for the next 5 years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s purely speculative because we didn’t attempt . More importantly it could have been a step in the right direction to shore it up.

Bottomline is we don’t appear to be headed in a better direction or any closer to our team goals as a result.
Its not speculative. This is why I asked you who could they have drafted at 17 that would've made a day 1 impact? There's no one. Chase Young could've came in and made a huge impact. Defensive guys just don't come right in and make impacts especially at the 17th spot but even then there was no one there but Chaisson and some corners.