Are Cowboys over invested at receiver?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have 20+ million of unused Cap space right now. So you would have preferred to let Cooper walk? I can see that. But , the front office would’ve gave up a 1st round pick for a year and a half of play. You knew they weren’t going to let that happen.
You’re right. It was a typical short term move that paid off in 2018. But by chasing Cooper with a second contract, he made it a bad move IMO. We don’t need Amari Cooper to build a great team. The thinking that says we do is what gave us the last 25 years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cooper has been really good. But I would argue Gallup is close to being the best receiver now. And he costs about $17 million less a year. Just my opinion, as good as Cooper is, he’s not the key to a turnaround here.
I won't say key to a turnaround but I also remember very well what this team looked like in 2018 without him and it was a MESS. Also make no mistake when these receivers lineup Cooper is their first concern. He's being guarded by the best teams corner not Gallup.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
You’re right. It was a typical short term move that paid off in 2018. But by chasing Cooper with a second contract, he made it a bad move IMO. We don’t need Amari Cooper to build a great team. The thinking that says we do is what gave us the last 25 years.
It’s a two year 40 million dollar deal. Don’t let that 5 year 100 million dollar contract number fool you.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Then if we make that investment and have these others how do we justify another shiny toy ( Lamb)at the position that’s already strong with so many weaknesses at other positions?
What would've been a better pick? Chaisson? Who would've been a backup?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
In hindsight it seems like they should have kept Byron Jones and let Amari walked, but who knew we were going to get Lamb.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know how...the defense sucked last year too. Only difference is they didn't see Russel and Matt Ryan last year to light them up.
They weren’t giving up 38 points a game. Last time we did that in back to back games was 1988.

I’d bet statistically our defense is much worse than last year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They weren’t giving up 38 points a game. Last time we did that in back to back games was 1988.

I’d bet statistically our defense is much worse than last year.
It is. But the difference is they are building up a new defense. Last year had no excuse.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
We invested with high draft picks on the defense. Problem is, they have all been worthless. Jaylon, LVE, Taco, Gregory, Awuzie, T. Hill. All of these are 1st and 2nd rd picks. Taco is not here anymore. Gregory never plays. LVE is not long for this game. Awuzie is not good. Jaylon is terrible. T. Hill is below average. These guys should be developing to be the core of this defense but they are anything but. Not only that, how much great talent did we pass on? Drafting Taco over TJ Watt should be criminal and cause this front office to lose their jobs. Problem is, Jerry is the GM and Stephen is his son and he runs the Cowboys like a local grocery store. No one is ever held accountable. They make boat loads of money at the end so no one really cares.

I think we definitely over invested on the OL. We went all in to try and build this great wall and it has backfired.

Flamma

Reaction score
Would we have passed on Top 10 talent if it was a RB or QB?

Yeah because you don't have two starting QBs or RBs that are top 10 talent. Any other position Dallas probably would have taken. Besides, who was left at DB to justify not taking Lamb?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah because you don't have two starting QBs or RBs that are top 10 talent. Any other position Dallas probably would have taken. Besides, who was left at DB to justify not taking Lamb?
You actually believe we would have taken a RB or QB ?

kskboys

Reaction score
Would we have passed on Top 10 talent if it was a RB or QB?
It's not so much that they took Lamb, it's that they gave up too much for Cooper, ignored the DT and S positions for way too long, and taking Lamb pretty much meant one more year of no D.