Are Cowboys over invested at receiver?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not so much that they took Lamb, it's that they gave up too much for Cooper, ignored the DT and S positions for way too long, and taking Lamb pretty much meant one more year of no D.
Yep..Maybe longer.

Why with our weaknesses on defense would we pay Cooper and use our 1st pick on a WR? It’s a luxury we can’t afford with the holes on defense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep..Maybe longer.

Why with our weaknesses on defense would we pay Cooper and use our 1st pick on a WR? It’s a luxury we can’t afford with the holes on defense.
The Cooper trade was just stupid. You only make that trade if it puts you over the top. We weren't anywhere near the top.

Flamma

Reaction score
You actually believe we would have taken a RB or QB ?

No. I worded that poorly. I'm not even drinking either. I meant they would not because those are positions that do not normally feature two top ten talents. That does not apply to other positions.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
If our efforts of picks have failed on our defense then we must make more effort. Must continue swinging .

How many teams use a 1st round pick fir a WR the same off season they pay their WR1 top 5 money?

Lamb was a luxury pick not a pick of need with 2 strong starting receivers. And with so many needs on defense.

This certainly doesn’t look like a recipe for success.

See here's where I mess everything up because this isn't a Black/White, Wrong/Right discussion. I believe you are right about the team invested in WRs. I believe you are right about Coopers contract. I believe you are right in Lamb being a luxury pick, to an extent. I believe you are right that it is not a recipe for success, to an extent.

I don't believe anyone was anywhere near as close, in value, to Lamb at 17.

I don't believe Dallas could afford to not pay Cooper.

I don't think it's as easy to say this isn't a recipe for success when, with what we are working with, we have the statistics to prove Dallas was wrong with drafting Lamb.

Our argument is, and I'm assuming, that Lamb should not have been the pick at 17 because of the defensive needs. We can't shoehorn Dallas' draft picks into a right/wrong situation based off of their failure to hit off of last busts, or soon to be busts, on the defensive side of the ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
Right now, we are once again seeing the results of a very poor blueprint for drafting. If you don't improve on your weaknesses, doesn't matter how good the players you took are, you're just not going to get there.

Yet another clear sign that drafting BPA does not work.

kskboys

Reaction score
See here's where I mess everything up because this isn't a Black/White, Wrong/Right discussion. I believe you are right about the team invested in WRs. I believe you are right about Coopers contract. I believe you are right in Lamb being a luxury pick, to an extent. I believe you are right that it is not a recipe for success, to an extent.

I don't believe anyone was anywhere near as close, in value, to Lamb at 17.

I don't believe Dallas could afford to not pay Cooper.

I don't think it's as easy to say this isn't a recipe for success when, with what we are working with, we have the statistics to prove Dallas was wrong with drafting Lamb.

Our argument is, and I'm assuming, that Lamb should not have been the pick at 17 because of the defensive needs. We can't shoehorn Dallas' draft picks into a right/wrong situation based off of their failure to hit off of last busts, or soon to be busts, on the defensive side of the ball.
I think you can. Poor D drafting is what got us here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right now, we are once again seeing the results of a very poor blueprint for drafting. If you don't improve on your weaknesses, doesn't matter who good the players you took are, you're just not going to get there.

Yet another clear sign that drafting BPA does not work.
Right

BPA is really about BPA based on team needs.

Once upon a time before Salary Cap and Unlimited FA when teams could basically stockpile talent BPA actually meant BPA despite positions of need. But the definition has changed over time .

Tussinman

Reaction score
They aren't.

Cowboys handled this well. They had corners waiting in the wings in Brown, Chido and Lewis. And drafted Robinson and Diggs. The problem is the corners waiting in the wings never got developed and they just changed staffs. So basically its starting over in their development again. And it doesn't make things any better that they are all hurt.
Agreed

Hell they just replaced there departing 1st round Corner (Byron) with a cornerback in Diggs that had a fringe round 1 grade............

Investment isn't the issue, it's just these defensive players have stunk. Brown/Lewis/Chido never developed, both there top 35 pick linebackers (Jaylon/LVE) are either injured or underperforming, both there DE's that where once again both top 35 picks are awol (Taco and D-law). Safety is really the only defensive position that they've under-invested

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed

Hell they just replaced there departing 1st round Corner (Byron) with a cornerback in Diggs that had a fringe round 1 grade............

Investment isn't the issue, it's just these defensive players have stunk. Brown/Lewis/Chido never developed, both there top 35 pick linebackers (Jaylon/LVE) are either injured or underperforming, both there DE's that where once again both top 35 picks are awol (Taco and D-law). Safety is really the only defensive position that they've under-invested
You’re forgetting DT and S. Both positions which were greater needs than WR this year in draft.

Yes, we’ve used some picks in previous years on defense which has cost us but you have to keep trying instead of making luxury picks.

Tussinman

Reaction score
You’re forgetting DT and S. Both positions which were greater needs than WR this year in draft.
How did I forget safety when I literally said "Safety has been under-invested" :huh::huh:

Safety class was weak this year. The real blunder was last year (Hill over Thornhill) but then you'd just say "uhh why didn't they get a DT"

In regards to DT if Kinlaw had dropped I think they would of taken him but he's the only one they could realisitcally get that had a top 50 grade. DT can't really say under-invested when they have 2nd and 3rd rounder picks on DT. Nothing has really flashed

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How did I forget safety when I literally said "Safety has been under-invested" :huh::huh:

Safety class was weak this year. The real blunder was last year (Hill over Thornhill).

In regards to DT if Kinlaw had dropped I think they would of taken him but he's the only one they could realisitcally get that had a top 50 grade.
Then we might should have considered trading down for more draft capital instead of using our pick on a position that wasn’t a weakness or priority need .

kskboys

Reaction score

Safety class was weak this year. The real blunder was last year (Hill over Thornhill) but then you'd just say "uhh why didn't they get a DT"

In regards to DT if Kinlaw had dropped I think they would of taken him but he's the only one they could realisitcally get that had a top 50 grade. DT can't really say under-invested when they have 2nd and 3rd rounder picks on DT. Nothing has really flashed
I can say under invested in DT and I will.

Hill was a project that shouldn't have gone before the 4th.

We only take one type of DT and we mostly take them in the mid to late rounds. Thing is, you need a deep and talented DLine rotation to make a deep playoff run. 2 lightly built slashers at DT just get run over in the playoffs sooner or later.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Then we might should have considered trading down for more draft capital instead of using our pick on a position that wasn’t a weakness or priority need .
Then the fans will spin the narrative AGAIN.

Drop down to get an extra pick to draft a bunch of crawford/hill/maliek collins type talent and the fans will cry "why you drafting JAGS instead of getting a day 1 starter in Lamb" ? Especially if they can't keep Gallup (high possiblity) or if Amari gets injured again (once again high possibly) fans will cry "#1 WR was sitting right there but you wanted some picks to get JAGS instead".

No matter what fans will cry that's why I don't mind just going and getting the top 10 talent

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we hadn't been so dumb in the past, Lamb would've been a good pick.
Of course. And why I’ve called it a luxury pick we couldn’t afford to make with so many holes on defense. But many fans don’t wanna hear it. The fact you agree just confirms my instincts . Thanks!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then the fans will spin the narrative AGAIN.

Drop down to get an extra pick to draft a bunch of crawford/hill/maliek collins type talent and the fans will cry "why you drafting JAGS instead of getting a day 1 starter in Lamb" ? Especially if they can't keep Gallup (high possiblity) or if Amari gets injured again (once again high possibly) fans will cry "#1 WR was sitting right there but you wanted some picks to get JAGS instead".

No matter what fans will cry that's why I don't mind just going and getting the top 10 talent
I understand but we can’t fall victim to that rhetoric. Jerry is guilty of that too. Lamb was a popular pick but it didn’t address some of our weaknesses that will prevent us from a deeper run in the playoffs.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I understand but we can’t fall victim to that rhetoric. Jerry is guilty of that too. Lamb was a popular pick but it didn’t address some of our weaknesses that will prevent us from a deeper run in the playoffs.
But it goes both ways. We can't fall victim to the "drafting out of need" rhetoric, especially when truthfully it's a large reason why some of these defensive picks haven't worked out..........

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who pays top 5 money to a WR1 while using their 1st pick at WR when you already have 2 starting receivers with so many weaknesses in other areas?

Who? A team that has a top ten talent fall to them at 17 and has a new HC who prefers to go 3WR.

CD allows us to let Gallup walk in 2022, probably get a 3rd round comp pick for him, and still have two top ten talents at WR.

CD was an A+ pick. NFL ready WR. Complete jackpot at 17.

There wasn't even a credible alternative. We might have picked Diggs with our 1st, and we got him in the 2nd anyway.

Jackpots for us in the draft all day long, and CD was the *biggest* jackpot of them all.

Yeah, I would have rather had a top 10 DT fall to us. But let's not bemoan the universe not handing us an even *better* gift than CD.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who? A team that has a top ten talent fall to them at 17 and has a new HC who prefers to go 3WR.

CD allows us to let Gallup walk in 2022, probably get a 3rd round comp pick for him, and still have two top ten talents at WR.

CD was an A+ pick. NFL ready WR. Complete jackpot at 17.

There wasn't even a credible alternative. We might have picked Diggs with our 1st, and we got him in the 2nd anyway.

Jackpots for us in the draft all day long, and CD was the *biggest* jackpot of them all.

Yeah, I would have rather had a top 10 DT fall to us. But let's not bemoan the universe not handing us an even *better* gift than CD.
I’m not disputing Lambs talent. I’m suggesting it was a luxury pick we couldn’t afford that hasn’t placed us any closer to a championship run this year for not addressing more pressing needs with positions of weakness which will more likely prevent us from a deeper on run.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But it goes both ways. We can't fall victim to the "drafting out of need" rhetoric, especially when truthfully it's a large reason why some of these defensive picks haven't worked out..........
I’d argue those defensive picks were positions of need that didn’t work out. But you have to keep swinging . Or pursue in FA. If not then you end up with an imbalance we are currently facing which arguably has prevented deeper runs .

And in the end if we continue missing then it will be why we are what we are. Conceding that we aren’t able to build a defense settling for only having an offense might be exciting or fun like Fantasy Football but ultimately isn’t going to meet our team goals.