Are Dak's Problems Mostly Mental or Physical?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I expect myself beyond the laughter(I've cried enough) Dak will provide this coming season to actually feel bad for him as the pressures in a non Coop and Collins world will become insurmountable for him!!!!
naw, he's a big mother, who got paid he's ready to play now since he got paid. Isn't that what he said, so let him play as other QBs do without the best offensive lines and WRs and RBs. if he's worth a crap he can elevate the new guys, if he isn't then get him on out of here. sheesh. this is a football team, not a daycare.

OhReally

Reaction score
Ok, Dak may not be the answer, but his completion percentage is higher than Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, and right there with Drew Brees, considered one of the most accurate passers ever. Many of those passer's numbers got better as they got older, so it is possible Dak's completion percentage ends up considerably higher than all of them. His YPA is higher than Brady's and right there with Rodgers and I would guess Dak gets much less of his yardage from RAC than either of them so it is really hard to point at him being inaccurate.

You can argue that he isn't clutch and have a better chance of proving your theory.

Also, you do know that Dak didn't call that play at the end of the game, right? That came from wonder boy Moore.

Dak gets less YAC because he's always late with the ball. He holds the ball to long. There are many plays he's just too late to throw and there are throws for big plays that could've been touchdowns. When wr make their breaks the ball usually isn't on time.

nobody

Reaction score
Daks problems are 100% mental. Anyone who watches him have those extreme highs and lows can see that. When he’s in his head his mechanics go away, he thinks way to much and his accuracy goes out the window. He needs figure that out just like Romo did.

100% this. It's all mental. He can do it and is a good QB. Unfortunately sometimes he overthinks it and messes up.

I don't know what was in his head the back half of last season, but it was mental.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
naw, he's a big mother, who got paid he's ready to play now since he got paid. Isn't that what he said, so let him play as other QBs do without the best offensive lines and WRs and RBs. if he's worth a crap he can elevate the new guys, if he isn't then get him on out of here. sheesh. this is a football team, not a daycare.
BABY DAK BABY DAK BABY DAK we love you!!!!:muttley:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think we have a double whammy situation with Dak, i.e., he has both mental and physical problems. On the one hand he has weird mechanics and this results in worm burners and passes sailing over the outstretched arms of receivers. On the other hand, his inaccuracy has clearly affected his confidence, to the point he never attempts difficult passes especially in clutch situations, culminating in that wonderfully comic slide to end last season.
What do the rest of the zoners think?
kool, another Bash Dak thread.

OK, he sucks. we get it. there is like 18202 thread on this subject.

What's your plan? if you don't have any...then you have nothing.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
he's as good as he will ever get, and that isn't good enough. *shrugs*
:hammer:

exactly. not sure the enjoyment Dak haters get in bashing Dak every other day, 1000 different way. he is as good as he can be. its not good enough, that's not his fault, its not like he does it on purpose.

the sad part is that none of these pundits have any plans

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Daks problems are 100% mental. Anyone who watches him have those extreme highs and lows can see that. When he’s in his head his mechanics go away, he thinks way to much and his accuracy goes out the window. He needs figure that out just like Romo did.
It's not all 100% mental.

Dak was a 4th round talent for a reason and it was because he was a dual-threat QB in college. His ability to run the ball saved him. Dak would have never been drafted based on his arm talent and ability to read a defense.

He has since given up that side of him and he is a worse QB for it. He'd rather try and fit it into a tight window to Noah Brown on 3rd and 4 instead of running for the 1st down.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
When the game is on the line you would pick those other QBs over him. It used to be only physical and that was getting better. Now the physical has gotten worse and there is an added mental aspect limiting his dual threat ability
exactly. anyone would be nuts not to pick Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes. they are elite of the elite...in fact, those 3 get picked over 50 other QBs.......

that wasn't enlightning at all as you had intended.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kool, another Bash Dak thread.

OK, he sucks. we get it. there is like 18202 thread on this subject.

What's your plan? if you don't have any...then you have nothing.

It's the most PRESTIGIOUS position in the NFL......Tell Dak and his groupies (you) if they can't take the heat to get out of the kitchen!!!!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
People underestimate the the injury he had.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Dak gets less YAC because he's always late with the ball. He holds the ball to long. There are many plays he's just too late to throw and there are throws for big plays that could've been touchdowns. When wr make their breaks the ball usually isn't on time.

I am a fan of Dak but I agree with this. He needs to trust the receivers’ breaks and deliver the ball earlier. On the flip side Romo used to get burned with those option routes where they weren’t on the same page. I would argue that 75% of Tony’s picks were option route plays.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Apples and Oranges. . . it is not the same league any more. . . the rule changes allow for all these ridiculous stats

Drew Brees retired just a year ago, and he is one of the "one time SB winners", who's a lock for the HOF as well. Aaron Rodgers is still playing, might win another SB but might not, it's been 11 years since he won his. Phillip Rivers is a likey HOFer, and he just retired recently.
And there are others.

Players change with the rules, and learn to win within the rules, as you said. So it's not "apples and oranges", it's still football, and every player and team play with the same rules,

My point is still valid, regardless of the era,,,,

RonnieT24

Reaction score
…..I wonder how many offensive coordinators he’s gonna run through before he’s gone?

To my knowledge Dak has only had two.. Linehan and Moore. I've not been real crazy about either.. But we all know how important continuity is for a QB. It's why the Patriots never changed offensive systems in Brady's career.. rather they always promoted their own guys when the OC got a HC job. It's why the Colts essentially let Manning be his own OC.. and then Denver did the same. To be fair I don't think there is really anything necessarily wrong with Moore's "system." I just happen to think he falls into predictable patterns too much. As well as trying to get cute far too often when it's not warranted.. If he doesn't break those two habits, the Cowboys will never get where they want to go regardless of who the QB is.

ondaedg

Reaction score
100% this. It's all mental. He can do it and is a good QB. Unfortunately sometimes he overthinks it and messes up.

I don't know what was in his head the back half of last season, but it was mental.

I’m not sure there was something “mental” going on in that second half of the season. Seemed to me that our offense struggled with 7 and 8 guys in coverage on pretty much every single play. Even guys like Rodgers and Mahomes would have a tough time if their offense had become as one dimensional as ours. The one thing Dak has to do is look to run more to keep those safeties honest.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To my knowledge Dak has only had two.. Linehan and Moore. I've not been real crazy about either.. But we all know how important continuity is for a QB. It's why the Patriots never changed offensive systems in Brady's career.. rather they always promoted their own guys when the OC got a HC job. It's why the Colts essentially let Manning be his own OC.. and then Denver did the same. To be fair I don't think there is really anything necessarily wrong with Moore's "system." I just happen to think he falls into predictable patterns too much. As well as trying to get cute far too often when it's not warranted.. If he doesn't break those two habits, the Cowboys will never get where they want to go regardless of who the QB is.

Ronnie is back baby!!!

200.gif

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I am a fan of Dak but I agree with this. He needs to trust the receivers’ breaks and deliver the ball earlier. On the flip side Romo used to get burned with those option routes where they weren’t on the same page. I would argue that 75% of Tony’s picks were option route plays.

This criticism comes up a lot and sometimes it's accurate and sometimes not. You mention Romo's penchant for throwing picks .. Dak is the opposite because he DOESN'T put the ball in harm's way very often. There is a delicate balance to be struck between knowing when to take chances and when to be safe. Dak seems to be still trying to find that sweet spot. Frankly until he does I would much rather he continue to not throw picks in bunches like Romo did. Especially early in his career. There is this constant talk on here that Dak can't get any better at playing QB. That's just stupid talk. Of course he can get better and I believe he will. Frankly I think some of the "he's too dumb" talk is people with Jim Crow leanings outing themselves.. But I digress. Maybe Dak's not getting MENSA invites but he seems more than intelligent enough to play NFL football. Someone argued earlier that he didn't have a strong arm "like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning." Anybody that thinks either of those two had/have strong arms should disqualify themselves from any QB discussion. Neither of those guys ever had anything but maybe slightly above average arm strength. They were great because they processed defenses quickly and got the ball out quickly and accurately. They were never about throwing the ball through a brick wall.