Are electric cars the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamma

Reaction score
That is going to be interesting, charging stations anywhere near high crime areas. And enough people every year drive off with gas hoses still attached so it will be the same there.
I'm asking for a specific reason. Because if there is a fail safe, like you're unable to start your car while charging, that presents a safety issue.

You're only at a gas station for 5 minutes. And you can drive off with the pump attached in an emergency. With charging, you can be there from 20 minutes to an hour and a half. What if you can't drive off while connected? You're a sitting duck.

DZSierra

Reaction score
I'm asking for a specific reason. Because if there is a fail safe, like you're unable to start your car while charging, that presents a safety issue.

You're only at a gas station for 5 minutes. And you can drive off with the pump attached in an emergency. With charging, you can be there from 20 minutes to an hour and a half. What if you can't drive off while connected? You're a sitting duck.
Jersey is one of 7 states that will make the gas powered car illegal to sell in the future. Needless to say, more states will follow.

The government has already been regulating the HVAC industry which no one really follows. Starting January 1st, 2025, all HVAC systems sold in the US will no longer be 410A based, but R32 or R454B based. Certain most here hadn't even noticed the SEER2 requirements on residential HVAC systems that started in 2023.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jersey is one of 7 states that will make the gas powered car illegal to sell in the future. Needless to say, more states will follow.

The government has already been regulating the HVAC industry which no one really follows. Starting January 1st, 2025, all HVAC systems sold in the US will no longer be 410A based, but R32 or R454B based. Certain most here hadn't even noticed the SEER2 requirements on residential HVAC systems that started in 2023.
Yeah, I live in NJ. I think the goal is 2035. I doubt it happens. But I really can't predict what will happen 11 years from now. I just know it won't happen on its own. I'm interested in seeing what they do to compel people to buy EVs. While the west coast and northeast can be similar in some regard, they are very different when it comes to being environmentally conscious. The east coast doesn't care. I'm in my 50s. I'll move out of NJ if need be. I'll be dead long before the entire country goes mad.

The HVAC situation is for new construction only, right?

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s a little tougher when time is not on societies side.
You seem really aggressive and emotional in this thread. Not really sure why.
You struck a nerve with the post above. I chose not to comment. There are people very passionate about climate change, and others equally rolling their eyes. Me personally, I do not think there's a pressing short term need. I am borderline on this being climate change related. There are so many consequences related to these mandates that raises red flags. You can't just take everything told to you at face value. People lie. It's very easy to fool someone. But much more difficult to get people to believe they've been fooled.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Yeah, I live in NJ. I think the goal is 2035. I doubt it happens. But I really can't predict what will happen 11 years from now. I just know it won't happen on its own. I'm interested in seeing what they do to compel people to buy EVs. While the west coast and northeast can be similar in some regard, they are very different when it comes to being environmentally conscious. The east coast doesn't care. I'm in my 50s. I'll move out of NJ if need be. I'll be dead long before the entire country goes mad.

The goal of 2035 will be met on the cars IMO.

I'm laughing, no, what I mentioned for HVAC is not for new construction only. Next year if you need a new HVAC system, it will either be R32 or R454B. Now, what happens if only your air handler or coil needs to be replaced as the outdoor unit is still running fine? Not a issue, both indoor and outdoor units need to replaced because you're now stuck with R454B.

It was around 2003 when R22 became "extinct" and 410A was introduced. However, the government allowed you to run through existing inventory to sell the existing R22 equipment. Come January 1st, 2025, R410 systems will be illegal to sell. There is a caveat in the wording that can be used as a loophole to replace only one piece of equipment, the issue is both manufacturers and distributors will not be wanting ANY 410A equipment in inventory going into November and December of 2024 (only 10 months away).

I work in the HVAC industry and see this crap with the government all the time. 80% gas furnaces are now on the chopping block. I'm certain no one noticed PSC motors ceasing to exist in gas furnaces a couple of years ago.

I lived all over the North East (considering Pennyslvania my home state as that's were my parents are from) and I moved to south in 2001. No regrets and never moving back to the North East ever again, and my wife is a native Vermonter and she agrees.

Heck, my old company wanted to give me a promotion and move back to NY to the Albany area. Everyone was wondering why I turned them down and when I told them it was illegal for me to move some of my guns back to the state in the Albany area, it really confused them. I knew sooner or later my time was up because I was no longer considered a "company man" LMAO. Besides that, I'm up to over 10 cans now :)

Last edited:

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a leap will have to happen at some point. Not quite like the chip in computers, but a significant leap in tech. I heard solid state batteries are supposed to be better, but I don't know where they are with that.

The other thing I would find super annoying is that you need your phone to charge. And apps if you're not driving a Tesla. I know most people have their phones surgically attached, I just don't like it being a requirement. I take my phone to work, that's it. So I can watch you tube all night. I even forget it sometimes. Imagine how that can play out if you need a charge. No reason to make things more complicated.
My wife has to ensure her phone is charged because her car doesn't have a charging port.

Last edited:

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one forced me to get solar. No one will force you to buy an EV. It’s all up to you.
When it's the only game in town then you are forced to buy an EV. Used ICE cars are going to get extremely expensive, which will force poor people into one choice of a vehicle.

Last edited:

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Electric-powered technologies and devices need 3 things to gain widespread traction with the public ..

1) low or affordable costs (money)
2) long-lasting charges (money, time and convenience)
3) widely available fast-charging process (time and convenience).

The mistake is that so many people and companies are pushing electric vehicles (EVs) when they should be pushing for a better energy generation and distribution system first.

I am sure the idea was to use EV demand to drive innovation and modernization of our energy generation and distribution systems, but we already have a lot of technology that uses electricity so the smart strategy would be to focus heavily on completely replacing our very old electric energy systems first.

If we could generate a lot more electric power through whatever methods (solar, wind, hydro, nuclear, etc.) to the point where there is more than enough power for everyone all of the time (no rolling/planned blackouts) and where energy costs drop so low that no one thinks twice about using electric devices as often as they want, then a lot more people would be open and even excited to invest in EVs as well as many other technological advances.
This should have been the first response to this thread.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
When it's the only game in town then you are forced to buy an EV. Used ICE cars are going to get extremely expensive, which will force poor people into one choice of a vehicle.
It’s not the only game in town so you’re not forced to do anything.

Creeper

Reaction score

I think NJ will eventually extend or kill this EV mandate. What one governor decides another can overturn. I'll be 83 by the time this law takes effect so it probably will never impact me. But I will keep my ICE vehicle until I die. Then they can bury me in it for all I care.

DZSierra

Reaction score
It’s not the only game in town so you’re not forced to do anything.
No now. Even when the state you live in outlaws gas vehicles, you should still have the option to buy out of state.

The issue is when Manufacters see where the money is at in the future due to goverment restrictions, and sooner or later, the only option is buying something you don't really want to begin with.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
No now. Even when the state you live in outlaws gas vehicles, you should still have the option to buy out of state.

The issue is when Manufacters see where the money is at in the future due to goverment restrictions, and sooner or later, the only option is buying something you don't really want to begin with.
It’s not being forced on you. Quit acting like it is until that ACTUALLY HAPPENS.

DZSierra

Reaction score
It’s not being forced on you. Quit acting like it is until that ACTUALLY HAPPENS.
Try buying a R410A HVAC systm in 2025.

That said, you may have no clue what I'm talking about. or refering to

Through laws and the businesses that HAVE to follow those laws, you can be forced to by anything.

Thing is, no one cares about HVAC unti you need it for your own home. EVERONE needs a car if they expect to work to earn money.

1942willys

Reaction score
You seem really aggressive and emotional in this thread. Not really sure why.
disgusted with you and others is more the case
I notice those that whine about others being aggressive and emotional are exactly that
And WHY should I care that you think so?
I am disgusted with the lap dogs of the current social media and trends

HungryLion

Reaction score
You struck a nerve with the post above. I chose not to comment. There are people very passionate about climate change, and others equally rolling their eyes. Me personally, I do not think there's a pressing short term need. I am borderline on this being climate change related. There are so many consequences related to these mandates that raises red flags. You can't just take everything told to you at face value. People lie. It's very easy to fool someone. But much more difficult to get people to believe they've been fooled.
So yawn is a mature and appropriate response?

HungryLion

Reaction score
disgusted with you and others is more the case
I notice those that whine about others being aggressive and emotional are exactly that
And WHY should I care that you think so?
I am disgusted with the lap dogs of the current social media and trends
Disgusted sure is emotional.

Thanks for confirming.

Status
Not open for further replies.