Are electric cars the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamma

Reaction score
The entire narrative is a bit unrealistic in my opinion and it can only scale so far.

What about people who live in condos, apartments, townhouses, etc? Where are they going to be charging their electric vehicles?

Are they supposed to be lined up at electric charging stations for hours on end every day or two after work?

Not to mention that the lifespan of the batteries is 7 to 12 years and it is $5k to $15k to replace them. Who wants to be a used car that once had 200 miles of range that now gets maybe 140 miles and the batteries will need to be replaced?
The people in condos use the infrastructure. From what I can tell, charging costs about the same or a little more per mile than 3 dollars a gallon gas using the infrastructure. And it's kind of cheap in the US. In Europe, charging is close to twice the price.

Batteries are a huge deal for buying a used EV. The warrantee on them is around 10 years, but also 100-150k miles. Once you go over that, the battery is on you. So no, I would not be paying a lot for an EV with 50,000 miles on it with a 100k warrantee. I'd have to take the price of the battery off that just in case.

Flamma

Reaction score
Charging stations are being built throughout the country via some government bill. And it’s just the beginning.
Maybe someone from Europe can verify this. They have a much better charging infrastructure than we do. But even they have large backups at charging stations. Especially during the holidays. But I'm just watching videos showing it. I really don't know how big of a problem it is.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
With the ever-growing technology we have in the world today, I oddly find electric cars are the "most feared" (for lack of a better term) technology. It's crazy to me. There are so many people that are pushing back on this evolution and I have no idea what they're so afraid of. I wonder if people in the early 1900s talked down on the production of the automobile? "They'll never replace the horse!".

Yes, they're coming. Yes, they're still in their infancy. Time and tech will improve them. Now they may not be the only option, as I know there have been advancements on alternative fuels (Toyota has been working on Hydrogen vehicles), but ICE are on their deathbed. Sure, it's going to be a gradual process and take some time, but it's in our future. Not only are fossil fuels finite, but we need to start reducing emissions.
I don't think people are pushing back, or are in fear of this technology. People are in fear of, and pushing back on the absolute rush by federal and state governments to mandate the switch.

Here in the very "green" state of Vermont all the major car dealers in the state have recently formed a lobby to petition the state government to back off on their ridiculous mandate to go all electric by a certain date. The people selling these things can clearly see that the tech is just not ready to become the mainstream.

Around here you can count on at least one, multi-day, widespread power outage per winter. We've had two so far this year. 3 days and 5 days. Adding to that all the other aspects of a rural lifestyle in cold country and an EV will just not get it done as a sole vehicle. I wouldn't object to having a, EV commuter car for my wife in addition to something I can count on to run when I can't charge the EV, or need to plow the yard, or need to haul the multitude of things that need hauling, but that is a luxury I am just not willing to pay the exorbitant costs necessary to get in the game. In addition to the cost of the vehicle it would require a major upgrade to my electrical service. It is just not feasible for the many many people in similar situations as us. Maybe someday it will be but it won't be in time to satisfy the ridiculous mandates that are being pushed.

On a side note, I just had to purchase an electric chain saw due to Dr's orders. I bought a top of the line, pro-level saw. I was very impressed with it's cutting ability. It ran as strong as my 50cc two-stroke. Very impressive. But. I had to spend an additional 700 bucks to get two more batteries (state of the art) to get any serviceable length of running time. Battery life is very much a limiting factor on just how useful the saw is in real world medium/heavy use and as impressive as it is, it still can't get the big stuff that a 70cc or 90cc gasser can handle with ease.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes they’re the future. Where that electricity comes from is up for debate. But electric cars are the future.

I also think you’ll see the technology just continue to get better and better rather quickly.

Remember it was only like 20 years ago where computers were expensive and not very powerful.

Now we all have computers 1000x more powerful in our pockets while we are walking around and I am typing this post on one of them.

1942willys

Reaction score
Yes they’re the future. Where that electricity comes from is up for debate. But electric cars are the future.

I also think you’ll see the technology just continue to get better and better rather quickly.

Remember it was only like 20 years ago where computers were expensive and not very powerful.

Now we all have computers 1000x more powerful in our pockets while we are walking around and I am typing this post on one of them.
I have the problem with the government forcing this and wasting money and some people being just fine with it
And its about twenty years off at best not like some here claim

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have the problem with the government forcing this and wasting money and some people being just fine with it
You’re entitled to feel that way. Personally, I think it’s exciting more than anything. I love technological advances.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It’s here and it’s now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't think people are pushing back, or are in fear of this technology. People are in fear of, and pushing back on the absolute rush by federal and state governments to mandate the switch.

Here in the very "green" state of Vermont all the major car dealers in the state have recently formed a lobby to petition the state government to back off on their ridiculous mandate to go all electric by a certain date. The people selling these things can clearly see that the tech is just not ready to become the mainstream.

Around here you can count on at least one, multi-day, widespread power outage per winter. We've had two so far this year. 3 days and 5 days. Adding to that all the other aspects of a rural lifestyle in cold country and an EV will just not get it done as a sole vehicle. I wouldn't object to having a, EV commuter car for my wife in addition to something I can count on to run when I can't charge the EV, or need to plow the yard, or need to haul the multitude of things that need hauling, but that is a luxury I am just not willing to pay the exorbitant costs necessary to get in the game. In addition to the cost of the vehicle it would require a major upgrade to my electrical service. It is just not feasible for the many many people in similar situations as us. Maybe someday it will be but it won't be in time to satisfy the ridiculous mandates that are being pushed.

On a side note, I just had to purchase an electric chain saw due to Dr's orders. I bought a top of the line, pro-level saw. I was very impressed with it's cutting ability. It ran as strong as my 50cc two-stroke. Very impressive. But. I had to spend an additional 700 bucks to get two more batteries (state of the art) to get any serviceable length of running time. Battery life is very much a limiting factor on just how useful the saw is in real world medium/heavy use and as impressive as it is, it still can't get the big stuff that a 70cc or 90cc gasser can handle with ease.
All electric semi.

https://www.freightliner.com/trucks/ecascadia/

IMG-0455.png

sbark

Reaction score
I believe the federal government is installing powering stations throughout the country as we speak.
While at the same time they are forcing coal plants out of business.
Our grid cannot handle mass influx of ev, let alone if coal generation keeps getting cut.

Why doesn’t China worry about climate?
....cause the already have a type of govt that uses it to force change onto others

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
While at the same time they are forcing coal plants out of business.
Our grid cannot handle mass influx of ev, let alone if coal generation keeps getting cut.

Why doesn’t China worry about climate?
....cause the already have a type of govt that uses it to force change onto others
Solar and wind power are adding significantly to the grid and increasing daily.

1942willys

Reaction score
Yeah charging stations but how many cars can recharge at each station at the same time? Most service stations can refuel AT LEAST four vehicles at a time. Many 8 and more.
Once again you use lawyering to hide reality

Flamma

Reaction score

I've had several power outages as well. I wonder if it will be a good excuse not to go to work.

Speaking of electric chainsaws, I love them. I only need it for light work and some firewood. One with a "16 bar and 40mph chain speed is more than enough for me. Also a lot more convenient. But I bought the tool only because two 20V batteries cost more than the tool itself. I use the batteries and charger I already have from another tool. A 20V 4ah battery costs 100 bucks. A 20V 6ah battery costs 150 bucks. I'm not paying that for any additional batteries. When I buy more batteries I buy the Chinese knockoffs. They're 50-60 dollars for two, as opposed to 200-300 dollars. They're not quite as good. But they're not too far off.

Landscaping businesses would have the biggest problem due to run time. Batteries have short run times unless you spend a fortune.

Flamma

Reaction score
You’re entitled to feel that way. Personally, I think it’s exciting more than anything. I love technological advances.
Technological advances are great. But the key word is at the end of that sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.