Are Gateway computers any good?

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Any good? I will be buying a new desk top computer around the first of the year and am researching options. I'm thinking about a "all in one" type. I'm also considering a iMac. (never had/used a Mac)
The computer will be used for surfing the web and photo/video storage and editing. No gaming. Only simple word processing.

Any advice on memory or HD size? I would like to keep the price around $1000.00 and have at least a 23 inch monitor.

Thank's.
:)

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
My wife has one(Gateway)...It's had no problems, it's solid...But I'd spend more and get the iMac.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Bonecrusher#31;3594087 said:
My wife has one(Gateway)...It's had no problems, it's solid...But I'd spend more and get the iMac.

You can get a iMac with a 21.5 in display and 4 gb of memory and I think a 500gb hard drive for 1200 bucks or so. But I'm afrade it would be like trying to fly a Vulcan shuttle.;)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Pretty much every computer is built with the same parts. It's the warranty and tech support that makes the difference. To be honest I didn't realize Gateway was still in business.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Gateway used to be the corporate computer of choice. Then they started cutting corners to increase margins and that ended up producing absolute garbage quality wise and corporate buyers switched to buying HP and Dell.

That was almost a death sentence for Gateway. Personally, I know not a single person who has purchased a Gateway in probably close to ten years. Because of that I cannot comment on their quality today.

Of course, their history tells me not to purchase from them. As noted though that doesn't mean they haven't turned it around.

I would Google for reviews before making that purchase.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Gateway is the perfect of example of greed at the corporate level. Once upon a time they had a stable clientele and good profits. Then certain idiot moronic greedy SOBs decided to go for the quick profits and have all but killed the company.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Okay, axe Gateway. :(

Now, how hard is it to switch from Windows to Mac? I'm really liking what I'm reading about the iMac.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;3594197 said:

Now, how hard is it to switch from Windows to Mac? I'm really liking what I'm reading about the iMac.

when you boil it down, the differences between the two are so small its such an easy switch.

WHat are some of your worries?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
We purchased a Gateway laptop about eight months ago. I installed the Samsung software to wirelessly link it to my LED in the living room. HD quality is good and it plays all of the games my son has tried so far. I have had no regrets to date.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

If all you do is browse the web for the most part, the switch should be rather simple. If you use more advanced applications, there is more to consider before you switch.

Figure out what you actually use the computer for. Once you have that list, check out the options Macs offer to do the same thing. What I mean by check them out is not just "see if something exist to do it" as much as ensure it will do what you need it to. Not only do it, but be compatible, and acceptable to your liking/needs. Just because someone says "there is a tool to do that", doesn't mean that tool is acceptable. This is an issue many people attempting to switch to Linux have a problem with too. Linux probably has more tools than any OS on the planet, but they aren't always acceptable to use for everyone.

Like I said though. If you mostly browse and use multimedia, it should be a rather easy switch. There is some learning curve to some things, but basic browsing and media are easy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Are Gateway computers just a step to get you into harder, more addictive computers?

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
nyc;3594248 said:
If all you do is browse the web for the most part, the switch should be rather simple. If you use more advanced applications, there is more to consider before you switch.

Figure out what you actually use the computer for. Once you have that list, check out the options Macs offer to do the same thing. What I mean by check them out is not just "see if something exist to do it" as much as ensure it will do what you need it to. Not only do it, but be compatible, and acceptable to your liking/needs. Just because someone says "there is a tool to do that", doesn't mean that tool is acceptable. This is an issue many people attempting to switch to Linux have a problem with too. Linux probably has more tools than any OS on the planet, but they aren't always acceptable to use for everyone.

Like I said though. If you mostly browse and use multimedia, it should be a rather easy switch. There is some learning curve to some things, but basic browsing and media are easy.

The web, and photo editing/storage mostly. Will be using photoshop and some Canon photo apps.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;3594275 said:
The web, and photo editing/storage mostly. Will be using photoshop and some Canon photo apps.

If you own Photoshop, you had better make sure you can install the Mac version without having to pay a second time. (unless warez is where you got it :laugh2: )

I'm sure Canon has Mac versions of the software you use, but always double check.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Hostile;3594250 said:
Are Gateway computers just a step to get you into harder, more addictive computers?

:nono2:

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score

I got the family an iMac for Christmas last year and we absolutely love it. There are some small but noticeable differences in how you do things between the two. But Apple has great support and you can make an appointment any time to go into the local Apple store and get help learning to use it if you need.

There is a program called VMWare fusion that lets you run your old Windows programs on your Mac, and it appears as though they are running natively. It's far cheaper than purchasing all new version of office and Photoshop.

You can always PM me or post questions here or elsewhere to get help if you need.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;3594056 said:
Any good? I will be buying a new desk top computer around the first of the year and am researching options. I'm thinking about a "all in one" type. I'm also considering a iMac. (never had/used a Mac)
The computer will be used for surfing the web and photo/video storage and editing. No gaming. Only simple word processing.

Any advice on memory or HD size? I would like to keep the price around $1000.00 and have at least a 23 inch monitor.

Thank's.
:)

They are just E-machines they merged with them about 3 years ago now they are solid.

You still want 2-4 gig of rams if you are doing video and photos you want a large hard drive and then a large external hard drive or one of the online backup solution to back up all those files

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Hostile;3594250 said:
Ask the Dell boy, he was pulled from being their mascot due to drug issues. :)

On February 9, 2003, Curtis was caught attempting to buy a bag of marijuana on Manhattan's Lower East Side.[2] Curtis was arrested and charged with criminal possession of marijuana. Due to recognizability of Curtis, word of the arrest spread quickly through the media. A chain email of the story even cropped-up as it was forwarded around the internet using the iconic parodied phrase "Dude, you're getting a cell!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Curtis_(actor)

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Also, the big difference between iMac and your traditional PC comes down mostly to user interface. Since you don't play games the swap won't be difficult. There are quite a few Mac holdouts due to the gaming reason alone, but that's not an issue with you.

I've used a "Mac" before (Leopard) by installing it on my PC, aka Hackint0sh and it's nice but takes some adjusting. I think my biggest adjustment was the minimize/maximize functionality of windows and its placement in the title bar.