Are Hybrid cars the future?

Flamma

Reaction score
And honestly unless you’re getting a super cheap EV that only has the 100-150 miles of range it’s really a non issue. I had the range anxiety for about a month after I bought my Tesla (250-270 miles) but I make 60-90 minute one way drives for work regularly and it’s a complete non issue, even in the winter.
It can be 20 degrees all night and it will start up no problems sitting out in the driveway?

My current car has about 200k miles on it. I'll probably need a can in another 2 years or so. My eye is on one of those Jaguar V8s before they stop making them. It is a bit pricey though.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
They are everywhere out here (and I mean everywhere) neighbors havent had any issues. The Model X seems to be the only one where I have heard some issues. Look, I dodnt want to like it. But CA gas prices and rebates lured me. It literally blows the doors off most of the Lambos and Porsches, Speed, tech, low maintenance, the worst part is wife drives it 90% of the time, and never plugs it up.
I doubt Id have one in Michigan or Minn, the vampire drain in the cold is real
Electric is no joke in the performance department. The wife and I took a day trip through the mountains last summer in a C8 Corvette. On my way back home, I'm on this one section of highway that is a long straight road going down a hill. I catch up to a VW Bus that is doing a whopping 40 mph down this hill. I kick the car over, look down the road, not a car in sight coming the other way. Perfect. Kick the Corvette down a gear and punch it. As I am passing this guy, I look in my rearview mirror, and here is this white sedan going step for step with me. Come to find out it was a Kia EV9 electric car. The C8 Corvette is no slouch in the fast department, so I won't lie, I was damn impressed by the Kia.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It can be 20 degrees all night and it will start up no problems sitting out in the driveway?

My current car has about 200k miles on it. I'll probably need a can in another 2 years or so. My eye is on one of those Jaguar V8s before they stop making them. It is a bit pricey though.
I wouldn't fault anyone for buying a Jaguar lol, those F types are very cool, but also way out of my price range.

As far as starting though an EV (at least most newer models) wont have significant issues in the cold weather. Most EVs come with heat pumps on the battery now and have minimized the cold weather issues. I live in Ohio and we've had a couple weeks of negative degree weather and mine is in the drive way 90% of the time. With EVs though there really isn't anything to "start" as there is no engine or starter. You really have to think of it more as a computer that's always running, its just a matter of if its fully on or in stand by mode, and how many apps you want running in the background when you're not using it. The cold weather issues I have are pretty minor. The regenerative breaking system doesn't work as well the colder it gets so I actually have to use the break pedal, and if the door handles that pop out get frozen it's a little bit of a pain. Other than that I love my Tesla for cold weather. I turn on the climate control with the push of a button on my phone (or set it to start automatically the night before) and it literally heats up in a matter of minutes as there is no waiting on the engine to warm up first. In the summer I set it to not let the interior temperature ever go above 90 degrees so it's never uncomfortable when I get it or get burned by the metal part of the seat belt.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Big deal. that means 87 PERCENT OF NEW CAR SALES ARE NOT EVs
as regards the taxes
you are paying for it dude
so is everyone else
but I guess that means nothing to you -you sound like someone that has never had to scrach and claw to make the rent and put food on the table like about one third of America has to
Yes 87% of new cars would be non EVs in that scenario....but notice how your previous post it was 92% of new cars would be on EVs. You can start to forecast it out that then in 2025 you might be around the 20% mark of cars sold would be EVs....then 2026 you're probably north of 25%. No one is saying that ICE vehicles will be a thing of the past anytime soon, but it's almost crazy to deny that EVs are not rapidly growing in popularity when you consider that in 2020 just 1% of cars sold were EVs.

As far as taxes go trust me, neither your nor my tax rates are going up because I claimed a $7,500 credit. Look at government spending on wars, loan forgiveness, etc. Also look at the tax credits major corporations are claiming. My EV tax credit isn't the problem. Attacking the little guy who takes advantage of a government program for $7k is the issue. I'm certainly far from rich, part of my reason to buy an EV was to save a few bucks every month.

rags747

Reaction score
I love the electric viking. He's very pro EV. So if he says something you don't like, you know to take that to the bank. He's the one that said the average range loss due to freezing conditions is 29%.

As far as the other things go. Don't take future projections at face value. The Tesla Cybertruck was supposed to get like 500 miles range for under 40k. What they released wasn't even close in price or range.
300 miles seems to be the sweet spot. It really does not make sense to go for 500 miles because then you would have to carry around a larger and heavier battery which makes no sense.

rags747

Reaction score
Do not know about your neck of the woods but my general area has seen many updates.

New roads and highways. Some more in various towns over others but it has been quite a bit.

Also in the last few years our area has a large electric grid update. Larger power line towers with better equipment. Occasional loss of power where I live was something we worried about during an storm or large snow days.

However in the the last two years I think the power only went off twice.

Also large amount of time and money put into the towns drainage systems.

So as I have said, it might be different in your area but It really has been a major amount of time and money to upgrade the infrastructure in my area. That also holds true for the neighboring counties in my state.
Understood, same thing in Fl. I guess what I’m talking about are moonshot type projects. Are there any airports in the US that are best of class in the world? Are there any Bullet Trains in the US that are best of class in the world? Why is so much of our infrastructure in disrepair and about 75 years too old? Richest Country in the world and yet one could ask what do we have to show for it. Healthcare…..H Ha Ha! We can stop it here. Thx…

Flamma

Reaction score
I wouldn't fault anyone for buying a Jaguar lol, those F types are very cool, but also way out of my price range.

As far as starting though an EV (at least most newer models) wont have significant issues in the cold weather. Most EVs come with heat pumps on the battery now and have minimized the cold weather issues. I live in Ohio and we've had a couple weeks of negative degree weather and mine is in the drive way 90% of the time. With EVs though there really isn't anything to "start" as there is no engine or starter. You really have to think of it more as a computer that's always running, its just a matter of if its fully on or in stand by mode, and how many apps you want running in the background when you're not using it. The cold weather issues I have are pretty minor. The regenerative breaking system doesn't work as well the colder it gets so I actually have to use the break pedal, and if the door handles that pop out get frozen it's a little bit of a pain. Other than that I love my Tesla for cold weather. I turn on the climate control with the push of a button on my phone (or set it to start automatically the night before) and it literally heats up in a matter of minutes as there is no waiting on the engine to warm up first. In the summer I set it to not let the interior temperature ever go above 90 degrees so it's never uncomfortable when I get it or get burned by the metal part of the seat belt.
That I had no idea about. Very interesting info.

Flamma

Reaction score
Are there any Stanley Steamers we can purchase? I heard they moved pretty quick too.

1942willys

Reaction score
Yes 87% of new cars would be non EVs in that scenario....but notice how your previous post it was 92% of new cars would be on EVs. You can start to forecast it out that then in 2025 you might be around the 20% mark of cars sold would be EVs....then 2026 you're probably north of 25%. No one is saying that ICE vehicles will be a thing of the past anytime soon, but it's almost crazy to deny that EVs are not rapidly growing in popularity when you consider that in 2020 just 1% of cars sold were EVs.

As far as taxes go trust me, neither your nor my tax rates are going up because I claimed a $7,500 credit. Look at government spending on wars, loan forgiveness, etc. Also look at the tax credits major corporations are claiming. My EV tax credit isn't the problem. Attacking the little guy who takes advantage of a government program for $7k is the issue. I'm certainly far from rich, part of my reason to buy an EV was to save a few bucks every month.
Its still our money but go ahead and rationalize it all you want

and you are really unrealistic about the whole subject so I will not waste any more time

I laugh at your claims about the next couple of years; just shows you are just as much in fantasy world as the other EV fanatics

BUT why do you not talk about the market of used EV vehicles. Which is critical as well.

I am waiting.

1942willys

Reaction score
Is your main buggy a 1942 Willys? People are asking…
Actually I have a 1943 Ford GTB Marine Weapons Carrier. I keep it as it was; no upgrades
And guess what? It passed the 1996 California Emissions Standards
Which goes to show how stupid THOSE are

My regular vehicle is a 2000 Acura Integra
My mom drove a 1995 Toyota Tercell from 1996 until her death in 2016. Great little car with excellent gas mileage; averaged 35 MPG

I leased a 2009 Hyundai for four years to commute to work before I retired. Excellent little car and averaged 40 MPG. Is it not interesting that in 14 years they only improved slightly in mileage despite tremendous bells and whistle and technological advances?
One can accurately say IC vehicles are a mature tech, but also that Tercell was a very basic vehicle and very simple. One wonders why all that money spent made so little difference; and why was all that money spent? Even today's vehicles are little improved over that Tercell as regards mileage. And by the way it passed the 2015 California Emissions Standards.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Its still our money but go ahead and rationalize it all you want

and you are really unrealistic about the whole subject so I will not waste any more time

I laugh at your claims about the next couple of years; just shows you are just as much in fantasy world as the other EV fanatics

BUT why do you not talk about the market of used EV vehicles. Which is critical as well.

I am waiting.
All I've done is share my personal experience with an EV and share data around the subject. Not sure how the actual data is fantasy world but OK. Denying that EV demand is going up is the same as denying email was becoming more popular back in 1996. You're still welcome to put a stamp on an envelope and mail whatever you need to, but for 99% of tasks that's not necessary.

I see no reason why the used market wont start to increase as well. It's only rational to think that as more new EVs sell, the used market will increase as the inventory does. We also are seeing that Teslas are pretty commonly making it 300,000 miles or more so i don't see an issue there. Other than just a few companies they haven't been making EVs long enough to know if there will be longevity issues so there is some level of unknown there. Also of course the used market is going to lag behind a couple of year since EVs really just hit the million car per year mark domestically the last couple of years. Tough to sell used cars if you don't have the inventory there. I think the average ownership of a car in the US is something in the 6-8 year range so it'll be interesting to see if current EV owners stick to that time frame or look to upgrade early. My gut tells me that a lot of people who bought over the last few years are going to struggle with trade in value since newer EVs are starting to come down in price and may end up holding onto their cars for longer, especially as they become upside down on their loans.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/news/used-ev-market-to-double

Looks like they're expecting the EV used market to flirt with a million sales this year, but of course that's not as big of a number in the used market as it is the new market.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
if you like living in a fantasy world go ahead
Nah, I’m just not a luditej
Actually I have a 1943 Ford GTB Marine Weapons Carrier. I keep it as it was; no upgrades

My mom drove a 1995 Toyota Tercell from 1996 until her death in 2016. Great little car with excellent gas mileage; averaged 35 MPG

I leased a 2009 Hyundai for four years to commute to work before I retired. Excellent little car and averaged 40 MPG. Is it not interesting that in 14 years they only improved slightly in mileage despite tremendous bells and whistle and technological advances?
One can accurately say IC vehicles are a mature tech, but also that Tercell was a very basic vehicle and very simple. One wonders why all that money spent made so little difference; and why was all that money spent? Even today's vehicles are little improved over that Tercell as regards mileage. And by the way it passed the 2015 California Emissions Standards.
luulz.

rags747

Reaction score

Like this? What do you do with it and why?
https://www.militarytrader.com/.ima...zk3Nzc2MjU5/gtb-1943-gene-spicer-dsc_0445.jpg

Flamma

Reaction score
Looks like they're expecting the EV used market to flirt with a million sales this year, but of course that's not as big of a number in the used market as it is the new market.
I noticed the warrantee on the batteries are around 8 years or 120,000 miles. Whatever comes first. That would worry me about buying any used EV over a couple of years old. If the battery goes, the car is pretty much done.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I noticed the warrantee on the batteries are around 8 years or 120,000 miles. Whatever comes first. That would worry me about buying any used EV over a couple of years old. If the battery goes, the car is pretty much done.
Good point. Certainly a major difference in buying an EV with 40k miles compared to 100k miles, even more so than an ICE vehicle. From what I understand though it seems pretty rare that an EV battery dies completely. 99% of them just slowly lose range similarly to a phone batter keeping less and less charge every year.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Understood, same thing in Fl. I guess what I’m talking about are moonshot type projects. Are there any airports in the US that are best of class in the world? Are there any Bullet Trains in the US that are best of class in the world? Why is so much of our infrastructure in disrepair and about 75 years too old? Richest Country in the world and yet one could ask what do we have to show for it. Healthcare…..H Ha Ha! We can stop it here. Thx…
Good point about the bullet trains.
Never have understood why the US does not have that type.
Who knows maybe someone like Amtrack blocks that kind of thing.

But it is curious how European and Asian areas have these trains that are so efficient and great for traveling long distances. Yet we do not have that type of thing. Have no clue of the quality of train services like Amtrack anymore, although it does seem like they have quite a few wrecks over the years. Grey Hound lines are the only other cheaper long distance travel options and I do not know if they are cheap anymore. I do know the last time I was on one in 91 or so headed to a duty station....it was nasty and very sketchy.