Are Hybrid cars the future?

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Pretty small sample size, Tesla is consistently one of the least reliable cars on the road. They make nice cars but the number of issues they have turns some buyers off.

"It's reported that Tesla vehicles have an average of 171 mechanical issues per 100 vehicles. For reference, the average number for most automakers hovers around 120 problems per 100 vehicles"
They are everywhere out here (and I mean everywhere) neighbors havent had any issues. The Model X seems to be the only one where I have heard some issues. Look, I dodnt want to like it. But CA gas prices and rebates lured me. It literally blows the doors off most of the Lambos and Porsches, Speed, tech, low maintenance, the worst part is wife drives it 90% of the time, and never plugs it up.
I doubt Id have one in Michigan or Minn, the vampire drain in the cold is real

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I have a Ram and also drive around LA. It is a pain to park anywhere, that city isn’t made for trucks at all. I can’t fit in most parking garages, especially those down below. Parking at a meter and causing a traffic jam? Forget about it :angry:
I am not sure anywhere is made for trucks. I don't drive a truck, but I have watched people trying to park them close to the store entrance here in Indiana. Looks like a pain and they barely fit in the space. And that's just the regular trucks.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They are everywhere out here (and I mean everywhere) neighbors havent had any issues. The Model X seems to be the only one where I have heard some issues. Look, I dodnt want to like it. But CA gas prices and rebates lured me. It literally blows the doors off most of the Lambos and Porsches, Speed, tech, low maintenance, the worst part is wife drives it 90% of the time, and never plugs it up.
I doubt Id have one in Michigan or Minn, the vampire drain in the cold is real
Just curious what year is your Tesla? I have a 2023, living in Ohio, and other than the regen braking being reduced I haven't noticed a change at all in the cold weather. Granted we don't get as cold here as some part of the county we do get a few of those negative degree weeks and even in those the difference in range seems negligible. I wasn't sure if its possible that the more recent models have started to fix this issue or if I'm just oblivious to the issue.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
the performance with full self driving was 72k, but $62K out the door as Tesla still qualified for 7500 fed and 2500 state tax credit at the time.

that was still expensive, but it was the first new car I ever bought as I can stand depreciating assets, but the test drive got me.

we have the tesla insurance, which is tons cheaper in CA, but the downside is it knows how you drive, seatbelt engagement, hard braking etc all the time. I really don't get to open it up often, but you still feel it when trying to pass or punch it to merge
I live in CA and have never heard of that. Interesting. Granted, I don’t drive a Tesla so that’s not something I’ve had to investigate.

rags747

Reaction score
Tesla has been rolling out insurance in all states where it would be relatively easy. Supposedly cheaper but then you have big brother in your passenger seat. Think I’ll pass although not currently available in FL Anyway.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
curious what year is your Tesla? I have a 2023, living in Ohio, and other than the regen braking being reduced I haven't noticed a change at all in the cold weather. Granted we don't get as cold here as some part of the county we do get a few of those negative degree weeks and even in those the difference in range seems negligible. I wasn't sure if its possible that the more recent models have started to fix this issue or if I'm just oblivious to the issue.
2018/19 (bought in Dec 2018). It isnt too bad and we're in Calabasas, so never gets below freezing. We did go to mamoth and and the high desert a few times and it always semd like the next day started off 10-15 miles lower than end of previous day if weather was <10 degrees.
My old boss bouight a Mosel S new in 2013 and he said the only negative was the battery really drained when he went skiing in Utah. The range was lower than and a whole new battery. You could have a point that it is being fixed (sure it is) as battery technology continues to improve

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I live in CA and have never heard of that. Interesting. Granted, I don’t drive a Tesla so that’s not something I’ve had to investigate.

Can only get it if you have a Tesla. It was 30% lower than progreessive and Geico after we debundled from the F150

Mikexike

Reaction score
As of right now, Hybrid tech is far ahead of EV....so if you are looking for a great car thats not full electric, The time frame is now until 5-10 years where EV tech will finally catch up.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
For a couple more years they do. New EV prices are starting to drop as more competition hits the market and the newer models really don’t come with the cold weather charging issues. As the newer models with heat pumps hit the used car market and new EVs become more affordable I think they hybrid run is going to start come to a close. The exception to that IMO will be trucks. The tech for towing just seems far off still. These newer EV cars though are amazing, I actually prefer mine in the winter over my gas car simply because it heats up and defrosts instantly.

1942willys

Reaction score
For a couple more years they do. New EV prices are starting to drop as more competition hits the market and the newer models really don’t come with the cold weather charging issues. As the newer models with heat pumps hit the used car market and new EVs become more affordable I think they hybrid run is going to start come to a close. The exception to that IMO will be trucks. The tech for towing just seems far off still. These newer EV cars though are amazing, I actually prefer mine in the winter over my gas car simply because it heats up and defrosts instantly.
Yeah I have heard the same ol tune
Couple of years
then
Couple of years
then
couple of years

For about ten - fifteen years now

FACT is that EV prices are strictly for upper level yuppies and to be very blunt they are not buying them now either
So keep right on saying couple more years

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
FACT is that EV prices are strictly for upper level yuppies and to be very blunt they are not buying them now either
So keep right on saying couple more years

Not really. There are several EV options under $40k right now which is less than the average new car in America. Still work to be done in the price category but they are coming down rapidly.

In 2022 EV sales made up 5.9% of all new car sales. 2023 that was up to 7.6%.

It’s true EV sales have started to dip but that’s because all new car sales have dipped. If we see interest rates decline throughout 2024 as expected those sales will be there once again and probably increase from that 7.3%.

There were 1.2m EVs sold in the US in 2023. That’s a remarkable amount when you consider that there are only about 2.5m EVs registered in this country. Assuming just linear growth EVs should make up around 1/3rd of new car sales by 2030.

Flamma

Reaction score
Not really. There are several EV options under $40k right now which is less than the average new car in America. Still work to be done in the price category but they are coming down rapidly.
The thing is, do you want to spend that much on one of those cars? Imagine spending over 30k on a Leaf or mini Cooper EV. They are battery powered toys. If you want one with 350-400 range, I'm pretty sure they're over 40k.

Flamma

Reaction score
My reason for not buying an EV right now is that I don't need another car, and I won't for some time. My gasoline-powered Honda Civic only has about 44K miles on it, and I don't drive all that much. It should last me quite a while. I expect that the earliest I might need to shop for a car would be 5 years from now, and it may very well be much longer than that. If I do go for an EV when I eventually need another car, it will be based on what the EV situation is at that time, not how it is now.
Very good point. I'll need a car within the next 2 years, and I will not be sitting on a battery pack. I don't see much changing in that time frame. I just don't want any of the hassle. I don't want any inconvenience.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the last big infrastructure project that you have seen completed? Airports, train stations, schools? I cannot think of one. How many shovel ready projects have we seen money thrown at And yet I cannot point anything out.
Do not know about your neck of the woods but my general area has seen many updates.

New roads and highways. Some more in various towns over others but it has been quite a bit.

Also in the last few years our area has a large electric grid update. Larger power line towers with better equipment. Occasional loss of power where I live was something we worried about during an storm or large snow days.

However in the the last two years I think the power only went off twice.

Also large amount of time and money put into the towns drainage systems.

So as I have said, it might be different in your area but It really has been a major amount of time and money to upgrade the infrastructure in my area. That also holds true for the neighboring counties in my state.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The thing is, do you want to spend that much on one of those cars? Imagine spending over 30k on a Leaf or mini Cooper EV. They are battery powered toys. If you want one with 350-400 range, I'm pretty sure they're over 40k.
Several really good EVs under the 40k mark. The Volvo EX looks pretty nice, VM has a pretty nice one, the mustangs are expected to dip under 40k this month. The Kias I think are ugly but I've heard good things from people that own them. I just bought a Tesla Model 3 this past year for 38k and just got back 7.5k in tax credits....not sure if that's still a thing or not though. Regardless I would do it again without hesitation as it's by far the best car and most fun car I've ever owned. Several other models that are right in that 40-45k range that may start to get get under that 40k threshold the next couple years too.

If you really need 350-400 miles of range then yeah you'll be over the 40k price point, but unless you're taking several long distance trips through rural areas each year it typically isn't an issue at all. Something in the 250-300 range is more than enough for most people unless you aren't set up to charge at home. Really just depends on what your needs are and what your set up looks like and this is where I see a ton of misconceptions. For most EV owners there really isn't any inconvenience in owning one after the first week once you understand the thing. It's certainly a change but trust me it's a change for the better for most people.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Volvo is ok. From what I've seen, the Mach E has issues. Especially in the cold. Gun to my head, I'd go with exactly what you got. It has the best infrastructure. Does the Model 3 get 250kw charging? I know I saw a Tesla get 200 miles range in just under 20 minutes. I just forget which one.

Here's the thing about the range. You don't need to go through rural areas to go through 200 miles. I live in NJ, a small state. Many times have I gone from exit 98 to exit 4, Wildwood. Or Atlantic city. You'd be surprised how many miles you can put on a car in one night without realizing it.

Then I have to consider wind, elevation, cold, air conditioner, and or heat. I realize this varies depending on the car. And without a doubt I'd need a home charger. I don't worry about any of these things with the car I drive. I hate stopping for gas now, I can't imagine stopping for a half hour charge.

1942willys

Reaction score

In 2022 EV sales made up 5.9% of all new car sales. 2023 that was up to 7.6%.

It’s true EV sales have started to dip but that’s because all new car sales have dipped. If we see interest rates decline throughout 2024 as expected those sales will be there once again and probably increase from that 7.3%.

There were 1.2m EVs sold in the US in 2023. That’s a remarkable amount when you consider that there are only about 2.5m EVs registered in this country. Assuming just linear growth EVs should make up around 1/3rd of new car sales by 2030.
Tax breaks. Another expense you EV fanatics don;t talk about as regards how much EVs cost.
NONE of you ever admit just how much more it all costs when you look at everything which your side is claiming is what matters; I mean carbon footprint and all that
AND once again so what if 8% of sales are EVs.
That means 92% ARE NOT
So tell me friend what trend is THAT?
THE VAST MAJORITY OF AMERICANS CANNOT AFFORD THEM.

Flamma

Reaction score
Tax breaks. Another expense you EV fanatics don;t talk about as regards how much EVs cost.
NONE of you ever admit just how much more it all costs when you look at everything which your side is claiming is what matters; I mean carbon footprint and all that
AND once again so what if 8% of sales are EVs.
That means 92% ARE NOT
So tell me friend what trend is THAT?
THE VAST MAJORITY OF AMERICANS CANNOT AFFORD THEM.
They can afford them. Get yourself a Leaf. After all, most people don't drive more than 20 miles a day.

But even if they could afford the good ones, what of those without home charging capabilities?