Are the Browns really going to pass on Darnold?

TWOK11

Reaction score
They can't be *this* stupid, right? I mean at this point they should truly be abolished. Finally; get the #1 pick and a chance to take a QB, he's right there. They've whiffed on Wentz, whiffed on Watson... here's Darnold...

And they're gonna take Saquon Barkley.

Good God they don't deserve to be in this ******* league anymore. I hate them with every fiber within me

Barkley is a lock and there's not much difference between the top QBs this year. One will be available at 4.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Because if they continue to neglect their OL and QB an RB is not going to make a difference.
They can address the O-line in free agency and in the 2nd and 3rd round. Murray made a big difference for Dallas and EE makes a big difference now. The GM found pretty good O-linemen like Trai Turner in the 3rd when he was at Carolina. Eli on his feet with a solid running game has another year or two.

Pants

Reaction score
if Darnold was there at 19, WE should pass on him, let alone the Browns at #1...color me unimpressed by him.....#1? IMO, they would be foolish to waste #1 on Darnold

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
They can address the O-line in free agency and in the 2nd and 3rd round. Murray made a big difference for Dallas and EE makes a big difference now. The GM found pretty good O-linemen like Trai Turner in the 3rd when he was at Carolina. Eli on his feet with a solid running game has another year or two.

I disagree. They'll have a patchwork OL and Eli is getting worse each year. If they use their top pick on a RB instead of getting their future QB or solidifying their line it will work to their disadvantage.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I disagree. They'll have a patchwork OL and Eli is getting worse each year. If they use their top pick on a RB instead of getting their future QB or solidifying their line it will work to their disadvantage.
Eli’s main problem is getting hit best way to solve that is fix the O-line and get a running game.

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
We as Cowboys fans should want the Browns to take Barkley at 1 do we want to risk him ending up on the Giants at 2.

I disagree. I would rather have the Giants draft Barkley then draft a potential franchise QB. Their O line is awful and Eli is washed up. I can't wait for the Giants to go back to the Dave Brown days at QB for a decade or so. No QB = no chance.

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
I heard the same "issues" about Watson and Wentz though.. now that they're superstars they didn't have issues. Darnold is that guy this year, it's very clear. He is probably better suited for the NFL than even Watson was; as much as I thought Cleveland should have taken Watson this is such a no brainer. How are people paid to do this for a living, day in and day out this incompetent?
Yes I thought they should've taken Watson as well, but he got picked outside of the top 10. Watson was a better prospect than darnold coming out of college. Watson has the same intangibles that darnold has plus he's had more success and is more mobile than Darnold. The only issues for both that are comparable would be the turnovers in there last year of College.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
Barkley is a lock and there's not much difference between the top QBs this year. One will be available at 4.

This to me seems to be where the smart money is. The Browns actually have a real GM now, so they may actually do something intelligent for a change.....but I'm not going to wager my life savings on it.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
If I were running he Browns I would sign Case Keenum. Then I would draft Barkley and Nelson in round 1.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I believe they could take a QB that would be good elsewhere but will stink in Cleveland because they have a sorry team. One win in two seasons.

condoin125

Reaction score
Eli’s main problem is getting hit best way to solve that is fix the O-line and get a running game.
Haha, I don't know if that's actually his main problem but it's certainly not his only problem. Even when there's no actual pressure Eli still panics in the pocket these days and gets rid of the ball fast. Many of this throws are so inaccurate at this point that he rarely puts his WRs in good positions to make plays. There's also a reason the guy has had so many of his wideouts drop passes that turn into interceptions; the guy throws ducks at this point in his career. I sincerely hope the Giants take Barkley and neglect QB.

As for their Oline, yeah it's a mess and it's not as simple as fixing it in free agency. First of all, they don't have a tremendous amount of cap space to begin with; couple that with the fact that OL talent across the league is at an all time low, they'll be in a bidding war trying to grab any of the top OL talent hitting FA. So yes, I really want them to draft the sexy RB and ignore their true problems. Who cares if he gets 100 yards against us (hard to see it behind that line though) if in the long run it hurts their team's chances of competing?

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Haha, I don't know if that's actually his main problem but it's certainly not his only problem. Even when there's no actual pressure Eli still panics in the pocket these days and gets rid of the ball fast. Many of this throws are so inaccurate at this point that he rarely puts his WRs in good positions to make plays. There's also a reason the guy has had so many of his wideouts drop passes that turn into interceptions; the guy throws ducks at this point in his career. I sincerely hope the Giants take Barkley and neglect QB.

As for their Oline, yeah it's a mess and it's not as simple as fixing it in free agency. First of all, they don't have a tremendous amount of cap space to begin with; couple that with the fact that OL talent across the league is at an all time low, they'll be in a bidding war trying to grab any of the top OL talent hitting FA. So yes, I really want them to draft the sexy RB and ignore their true problems. Who cares if he gets 100 yards against us (hard to see it behind that line though) if in the long run it hurts their team's chances of competing?

I think they will be the favorite to land Norwell guard from the Panthers but maybe they get Nate Solder.
1 Barkley
2 Hernandez
3 Connor Williams
4 Frank Ragnow
5 Malik Jefferson

O-line improves get a great RB and pick up a solid Lb. I don’t think this happens but it is plausible.

I think the Browns are taking Barkley and the Giants will trade back to get more picks and fix their O-line and get a back in the second or third.

condoin125

Reaction score
I think they will be the favorite to land Norwell guard from the Panthers but maybe they get Nate Solder.
1 Barkley
2 Hernandez
3 Connor Williams
4 Frank Ragnow
5 Malik Jefferson

O-line improves get a great RB and pick up a solid Lb. I don’t think this happens but it is plausible.

I think the Browns are taking Barkley and the Giants will trade back to get more picks and fix their O-line and get a back in the second or third.
Honestly, that plan you have listed is not bad at all. Even if it worked out that way though you're still leaning a lot on some rookies and I really don't think they'll land the the Panthers Guard....maybe Solder who will cost less.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Honestly, that plan you have listed is not bad at all. Even if it worked out that way though you're still leaning a lot on some rookies and I really don't think they'll land the the Panthers Guard....maybe Solder who will cost less.

Being their GM came from the Panthers I think they have a shot at Norwell. I think guys like Hernandez and Ragnow are plug and play guys and will give a lot of value their rookie year but yes relying on rookies can be risky. Like I said I think Barkley is going to the Browns and the Giants will trade back since they don’t have many picks. I am just showing it is plausible to pick Barkley and fix the O-line for the Giants.

condoin125

Reaction score
Being their GM came from the Panthers I think they have a shot at Norwell. I think guys like Hernandez and Ragnow are plug and play guys and will give a lot of value their rookie year but yes relying on rookies can be risky. Like I said I think Barkley is going to the Browns and the Giants will trade back since they don’t have many picks. I am just showing it is plausible to pick Barkley and fix the O-line for the Giants.
I say they don't have a chance with Norwell because of the cost. Giants have about 22M I believe in capspace and 5-6 of that will have to go to their first round pick. Some of that will also go to other draft picks and that leaves a very tight window to plug a few holes and possibly keep anyone else they already have on their team who's hitting FA. Norwell gonna get in the area of 9-10 a year and I just can't see them dishing that out.

Edit: of course, I'm also not sure what moves they can make internally in order to create more space.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I say they don't have a chance with Norwell because of the cost. Giants have about 22M I believe in capspace and 5-6 of that will have to go to their first round pick. Some of that will also go to other draft picks and that leaves a very tight window to plug a few holes and possibly keep anyone else they already have on their team who's hitting FA. Norwell gonna get in the area of 9-10 a year and I just can't see them dishing that out.

Edit: of course, I'm also not sure what moves they can make internally in order to create more space.
I figured they would be able to free up cap space with guys like Vernon, JPP, and the CB they signed a few years ago.