Are the Browns really going to pass on Darnold?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
First pick in the draft will be a QB, whatever team has the pick. A franchise QB is critically important, and very difficult to obtain. If Cleveland waits until pick #4, the top 2 QB's will likely already be gone. They can't "settle" for whoever is left. Using the #1 overall pick on a RB is a poor allocation of resources IMO, no matter how good the RB is. For a team like Cleveland, who desperately needs a QB, to do so would be foolish. That said- they're the Browns so they will work hard to screw it up.

I'm not sold on Darnold as the #1 QB btw....

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
If im the Browns and my scouts are telling me Darnold is a sure-fire Franchise QB, i am taking him over Barkley and not thinking twice.

Even if Barkely is still higher on their board, QB is way more important than RB.

Proof

Reaction score
First pick in the draft will be a QB, whatever team has the pick. A franchise QB is critically important, and very difficult to obtain. If Cleveland waits until pick #4, the top 2 QB's will likely already be gone. They can't "settle" for whoever is left. Using the #1 overall pick on a RB is a poor allocation of resources IMO, no matter how good the RB is. For a team like Cleveland, who desperately needs a QB, to do so would be foolish. That said- they're the Browns so they will work hard to screw it up.

I'm not sold on Darnold as the #1 QB btw....

are you sold on any of them as number one? no one seems to be. so maybe 2 qb's will be gone but since no one can agree on who's the best, it doesn't matter.

In hindsight obviously folks could potentially return to the draft and say who the browns should have taken, but no one can right now. I'd take barkley at 1 and whoevers left, or whoever you like most left at qb with the fourth pick. or take barkley and chubb or nelson. or trade out of 1 for a truckload and draft a qb at 4 still.

honestly the only way i think the browns can browns this is as was stated above if they drafted qb's at both 1 and 4 and both busted while one of the others turns out to be a stud

GenoT

Reaction score
The Browns could take Barkley with the 1st pick.
QB with the 4th pick....especially if it is Baker Mayfield who IMO has more heart and competitive spirit in him that the dog pound would fall in love with him.

They would have a decent oline, wrs, rb, developing te and now a QB who might just be who the Browns and Dogpound fans need.

And they could still get a Vet QB for a short period to let Baker sit on the bench until they fill he is ready.

I don’t question Mayfield’s talent or his heart, but he couldn’t handle opposing fans’ catcalls or opposing teams’ gamesmanship — and that’s at the college level, where he had Okie’s PR department running interference for him with the media.

Everybody knows this kid’s high-strung, so how’s he gonna handle the increased pressure of performing at the pro level, where he’ll be regularly dissed by opposing teams and their fans, while being slagged for even the slightest reactive faux pas by an unforgiving 24/7 media?

Johnny Manziel 2.0, maybe?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would. He’s just a guy with a lot of hype in a mediocre qb class. Watched him a few times this season and saw an inconsistant, guy who threw into coverage way too much, yet everytime he made a good pass the announcers were fitting him for a gold jacket.

Rayman70

Reaction score
They have the 4th overall as well, it is a crap shoot with the top QBs, but on the other hand Barkley is a virtual lock.
Barkley is the right call at 1...and at 4 I think they will pick Mayfield. Darnold is not the end all be all at 1...in fact he may slide into the teens.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If I’m Cleveland, I wouldn’t mind trading down to acquire more picks. That way, I can exit the draft with about 40 picks.

kskboys

Reaction score
CLEV needs a QB. Period. Take the one they deem to be the best, then start getting players around him. CLEV also has three 2nd round picks, including the 1st and 3rd pick in the 2nd.

1. QB
4. Barkley or Bradley Chubb or Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Then use the 2nd round picks to get a LT to replace Thomas when he's done, which won't be too long as he's 33. CLEV also needs help at WR. Didn't they release Gordon?

4th_and_short

Reaction score
CLEV needs a QB. Period. Take the one they deem to be the best, then start getting players around him. CLEV also has three 2nd round picks, including the 1st and 3rd pick in the 2nd.

1. QB
4. Barkley or Bradley Chubb or Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Then use the 2nd round picks to get a LT to replace Thomas when he's done, which won't be too long as he's 33. CLEV also needs help at WR. Didn't they release Gordon?

The last two seasons of the NFL have shown that the RB position is making a comeback. The Jags rode Fournette all the way to the AFC championship with Bortles as their QB this year. Dallas did the same with Elliott in 2016. Cleveland has a decent line already and bringing in Barkley will actually help whatever QB they end up with. The learning curve isn’t as steep at that position so they get a bonafide game changer. It’s a no-brainer imo.

There might be one QB off the board by the time they pick again at 4, Barkley won’t be. Passing him up when they can for sure have him would be idiotic.

Carter

Reaction score
If they are smart they take Barkley #1 and than there will be basically all but one of the Top QBs available at #4.

If im them i take Barkley #1 and Allen/Rosen/Mayfield #4 or Package one of my three 2nd Round Picks to move to #2 and take the QB i want.

Thought Darnold really had a poor Combine. Hes also a high risk high reward Player. Not Sure that this skillset is useful on the Browns.

Last edited:

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
are you sold on any of them as number one?

No, but if I had the #1 pick in the draft, I would be watching film until I had a favorite.

I might go with Rosen if I had to make that pick today.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they are smart they take Barkley #1 and than there will be basically all but one of the Top QBs available at #4.

If im them i take Barkley #1 and Allen/Rosen/Mayfield #4 or Package one of my three 2nd Round Picks to move to #2 and take the QB i want.

Thought Darnold really had a poor Combine. Hes also a high risk high reward Player. Not Sure that this skillset is useful on the Browns.
Since Darnold didn't throw at the combine, what makes you say that?

kskboys

Reaction score
The last two seasons of the NFL have shown that the RB position is making a comeback. The Jags rode Fournette all the way to the AFC championship with Bortles as their QB this year. Dallas did the same with Elliott in 2016. Cleveland has a decent line already and bringing in Barkley will actually help whatever QB they end up with. The learning curve isn’t as steep at that position so they get a bonafide game changer. It’s a no-brainer imo.

There might be one QB off the board by the time they pick again at 4, Barkley won’t be. Passing him up when they can for sure have him would be idiotic.
I don't believe the RB position ever lost importance. I think it was perceived as having lost importance, but that was primarily due to using teams like NE as the example. And that's the worst example you can use, as they have a top 10 all time QB. The more talented your QB is, the fewer weapons you need for him. Plus, NE uses the short passing game as the running game, mostly, so NE doesn't need a topflight RB. It does not follow that other teams do not. And Blount was very helpful to NE in their super bowl winning run, being the guy that gets the tough yds. If he was a complete back, he'd be a top 10 RB.

Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Brandon Jacobs, James Starks, Marshawn Lynch, all were instrumental in their team's super bowl runs. As were the RB's in ATL, and if they would've been used profusely late in the 4th, ATL wins leaning on them.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
I don't believe the RB position ever lost importance. I think it was perceived as having lost importance, but that was primarily due to using teams like NE as the example. And that's the worst example you can use, as they have a top 10 all time QB. The more talented your QB is, the fewer weapons you need for him. Plus, NE uses the short passing game as the running game, mostly, so NE doesn't need a topflight RB. It does not follow that other teams do not. And Blount was very helpful to NE in their super bowl winning run, being the guy that gets the tough yds. If he was a complete back, he'd be a top 10 RB.

Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Brandon Jacobs, James Starks, Marshawn Lynch, all were instrumental in their team's super bowl runs. As were the RB's in ATL, and if they would've been used profusely late in the 4th, ATL wins leaning on them.

I am using the most recent examples of backs specifically drafted in the Top 5.

kskboys

Reaction score
I am using the most recent examples of backs specifically drafted in the Top 5.
Oh, that's fine, I just vehemently disagree that the RB position ever lost importance. It's not you I'm disagreeing w/, it's the ones who originally spewed that idea that had millions repeating it. Meanwhile, Ray Rice and Brandon Jacobs and James Starks were instrumental in their team's super bowl wins.

Maybe it was because there were several 1st/2nd round busts at RB.