Are the Cowboys considering trading up in the second round?

cern

Reaction score
Have you ever seen the mile long list of players taken as high as #1 pick that turned out to be busts in the NFL? To say that a high or higher pick is some kind of guarantee of not getting a bust is just goes against that mile long list.
it only appears that way because so many more players are taken after the first round. tyron smith, freddy, zack, zeke, Amari cooper were all first round picks and all panned out. and while a tom brady can be found in the 6th round, most top qb's are first round picks. ryan leaf and art schlichter notwithstanding.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The players projected to go before the Cowboys pick are the players they should focus on.

If they focus on 20 players projected to be drafted 20 or less spots before their pick then at least 1 of those players is likely to make it to #58.

reddyuta

Reaction score
yeah not a big fan of this but if they do it will be for a Safety.

RS12

Reaction score
Of all the 30 visits Andre Dillard is the one that doesnt fit in comparison to their draft position. They would have to trade mid to late first round to have a shot at him IMO.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's enough talent to go around without moving up and foolishly wasting otherwise valuable draft picks to do so. Let's not hamstring ourselves.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you ever seen the mile long list of players taken as high as #1 pick that turned out to be busts in the NFL? To say that a high or higher pick is some kind of guarantee of not getting a bust is just goes against that mile long list.
No guarantees but they're a lot easier to hit on the higher up they're picked. But I agree, lots o misses in the 1st round and at that 1st pick. At least the Cowboys know they've got a starter, and a good one, with their 1st this time.

The biggest surprise in this draft to me would be sticking at 58 and the second would be taking a DT, the consensus wish for the forum, with the 1st pick. Been over 25 drafts since that happened.

I find to hard to believe Booger can just stand by, idly, and watch the 1st day go by and halfway into the 2nd round before doing something. They show the war room during the 1st round and he'll be in a cot in the corner, curled up in the fetal position.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
it only appears that way because so many more players are taken after the first round. tyron smith, freddy, zack, zeke, Amari cooper were all first round picks and all panned out. and while a tom brady can be found in the 6th round, most top qb's are first round picks. ryan leaf and art schlichter notwithstanding.

Here's a couple more to remember. #1 over all jamarcus russell and #2 over all tony mandarich. Busts have happened in every round at every position. The point I was making is just because a player is selected high in the draft is no guarantee that he won't be a bust and added to that long long list and certainly is no guarantee that this draft pick will be better than a player that already proved that he can play in the NFL. Yes, most draft picks are not busts but it does happen and even a large percentage of them take longer to develop that originally thought. Example, Taco.\

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No guarantees but they're a lot easier to hit on the higher up they're picked. But I agree, lots o misses in the 1st round and at that 1st pick. At least the Cowboys know they've got a starter, and a good one, with their 1st this time.

The biggest surprise in this draft to me would be sticking at 58 and the second would be taking a DT, the consensus wish for the forum, with the 1st pick. Been over 25 drafts since that happened.

I find to hard to believe Booger can just stand by, idly, and watch the 1st day go by and halfway into the 2nd round before doing something. They show the war room during the 1st round and he'll be in a cot in the corner, curled up in the fetal position.

You lose most of your credibility when you exaggerate and/or push your hatred of the Cowboys owner and/or coaches and scouting staff, on a cot in the corner. Unfortunately for you and others here, what may be the general consensus, whether you are right or wrong, has NEVER entered in to who the cowboys have or will draft in the future. No matter who gets drafted in what year in what round there will always be some who like the pick and some that will complain about the pick. Fans always think they know what's best for their team and so when a player or position that is drafted isn't the player or position they thought they should have they start to complain. Fans do it, I've done it on occasions.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If there is a player they really like and it requires them to use a pick to move up and get him then do it. I would not expect Dallas to move up unless they really liked the player they were interested in. I think the job that the scouts and Will McClay have done gives me confidence in their judgement.

That may work if the Cowboys were just a single player away from winning it all but they need help at several positions so giving up what would probably be at least 2 picks to move up is saying the heck with the rest of some of their needs because they don't have those picks to try and find more players. What good is possibly filling one need but not being able to fill more needs. Are those other needs just going to go away and not affect the outcomes of any games? I remember a team that thought they were just one player away from winning it all and traded ALL their picks to move up and take a player and guess what, they didn't even come close to winning it all. It was the saints and Ricky Williams. As it turned out they had several other needs but Ditka though Williams would more than cover those other needs.

pansophy

Reaction score
They should be trading down. If you’re not going to be active in free agency, you need the draft picks to fill out your roster. Losing a first round pick is essentially losing more than half your draft value, picking up some additional pieces will serve better than whoever that second round pick would have been.
I can't remember the last time trading up paid off for us. I can remember lots of times that trading down did -- as well as failing to trade up (i.e., Paxton Lynch).

lostar2009

Reaction score
They should be trading down. If you’re not going to be active in free agency, you need the draft picks to fill out your roster. Losing a first round pick is essentially losing more than half your draft value, picking up some additional pieces will serve better than whoever that second round pick would have been.

Trade down to the third round? Nah I would rather this team grab one or two players that can actually help this team. Recall the famous 2009 draft?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You lose most of your credibility when you exaggerate and/or push your hatred of the Cowboys owner and/or coaches and scouting staff, on a cot in the corner. Unfortunately for you and others here, what may be the general consensus, whether you are right or wrong, has NEVER entered in to who the cowboys have or will draft in the future. No matter who gets drafted in what year in what round there will always be some who like the pick and some that will complain about the pick. Fans always think they know what's best for their team and so when a player or position that is drafted isn't the player or position they thought they should have they start to complain. Fans do it, I've done it on occasions.
You mean I had credibility to begin with? And I lost most of it?

Ya know, Booger curled up in the fetal position on a cot in the corner because he has to wait until 58 is a humorous thought to me but then again, I think figuratively more than literally. And I left out sucking on his thumb and muttering "where are the cameras".

I don't hate them because I do not know them. And I've got nothing against the coaching or scouting staff and feel for the challenged.

Fans complaining? Nooooooooo, say it isn't so. The majority complain about something and that's OK, part of the experience. They're already complaining about FA and the draft will not be any different and some of them will be right.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That may work if the Cowboys were just a single player away from winning it all but they need help at several positions so giving up what would probably be at least 2 picks to move up is saying the heck with the rest of some of their needs because they don't have those picks to try and find more players. What good is possibly filling one need but not being able to fill more needs. Are those other needs just going to go away and not affect the outcomes of any games? I remember a team that thought they were just one player away from winning it all and traded ALL their picks to move up and take a player and guess what, they didn't even come close to winning it all. It was the saints and Ricky Williams. As it turned out they had several other needs but Ditka though Williams would more than cover those other needs.

I don't say we are 1 or 2 or 3 players away, I think this team can and will compete. This is a young team and who enter next season much more experienced as individual and as a team. That 1 or 2 players can and do make a difference. If Cowboys see a player they feel can make an instant impact you go get him. Nowhere did I say Dallas needs to trade away all of our picks including next year’s #1 as Ditka did

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You mean I had credibility to begin with? And I lost most of it?

Ya know, Booger curled up in the fetal position on a cot in the corner because he has to wait until 58 is a humorous thought to me but then again, I think figuratively more than literally. And I left out sucking on his thumb and muttering "where are the cameras".

I don't hate them because I do not know them. And I've got nothing against the coaching or scouting staff and feel for the challenged.

Fans complaining? Nooooooooo, say it isn't so. The majority complain about something and that's OK, part of the experience. They're already complaining about FA and the draft will not be any different and some of them will be right.

If people make fun about the owner,. coaches or scouting staff that is their dislike for those coming out. I poke fun at people I know all the time but the thing is we know each other and they know it's in fun, but when you do it in a public forum like this where people don't know you personally it can come across as just ripping on whoever you are poking fun at.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don't say we are 1 or 2 or 3 players away, I think this team can and will compete. This is a young team and who enter next season much more experienced as individual and as a team. That 1 or 2 players can and do make a difference. If Cowboys see a player they feel can make an instant impact you go get him. Nowhere did I say Dallas needs to trade away all of our picks including next year’s #1 as Ditka did

I didn't say you did say or imply doing a Ditka. I only pointed out that unless a team is truly just one player away to go out and sign free agents or trade for players before resigning our own players that the Cowboys have already said are they top priority is foolishness.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I didn't say you did say or imply doing a Ditka. I only pointed out that unless a team is truly just one player away to go out and sign free agents or trade for players before resigning our own players that the Cowboys have already said are they top priority is foolishness.

There is no way of knowing if a team is truly 1 player away. If a team is really high on a prospect and have the chance to take him then do it. Of course much will depend on how much you have to give up to move up to get that player.

Beaker42

Reaction score
We can only move up in the 2nd. Not enough bullets in the cylinder to get into the 1st. We NEED our 2nd and 3rd this season so it needs to be 4th or later picks we give up this draft and or future picks in ‘20 draft.