Are the Cowboys considering trading up in the second round?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Sure it they can odds say those late picks will either not make it or end up in special teams but sure some make it. And yes UDFA sometimes make it odds show that is not overly common. If there was a player the Cowboys had to give up a pick to move up and get that they felt was a real difference maker then I would do it. Most of the time a team is not going to move up for a player unless they are really sold on that player to be something more than avg

Yes, but not to use an already shorten supply of draft picks when there are several big needs that need to be filled. If the Cowboys had extra picks from deals from past seasons fine, but not when they are already without their 1st rnd pick and then giving up your 2nd and 3rd picks for a player that won't be the turning point to go all the way. That's using 3 picks for 2 players and not at the over the top point yet.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes, but not to use an already shorten supply of draft picks when there are several big needs that need to be filled. If the Cowboys had extra picks from deals from past seasons fine, but not when they are already without their 1st rnd pick and then giving up your 2nd and 3rd picks for a player that won't be the turning point to go all the way. That's using 3 picks for 2 players and not at the over the top point yet.

Sorry I disagree. I think if you see a player you really want that you feel will make a big impact then you move up and get him. By the same token if at 58 they don't like what they see yet do not want to reach for a player they may trade out of that pick. In the end I'm more interested in having quality over quantity. Evidently we just don't agree on this matter

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Sorry I disagree. I think if you see a player you really want that you feel will make a big impact then you move up and get him. By the same token if at 58 they don't like what they see yet do not want to reach for a player they may trade out of that pick. In the end I'm more interested in having quality over quantity. Evidently we just don't agree on this matter

I agree with you about not reaching, but I still say with not having a 1st to start out with it's foolish to then use the next 2 highest picks for a player that is not going to be the player that pushes the Cowboys over the top. If the Cowboys had extra picks from deals in previous seasons, fine, but not when they are already short of picks. It makes more sense to get 2 players with the 2nd and 3rd picks that fill needs and could help the team than getting just one that won't push them over the top.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree with you about not reaching, but I still say with not having a 1st to start out with it's foolish to then use the next 2 highest picks for a player that is not going to be the player that pushes the Cowboys over the top. If the Cowboys had extra picks from deals in previous seasons, fine, but not when they are already short of picks. It makes more sense to get 2 players with the 2nd and 3rd picks that fill needs and could help the team than getting just one that won't push them over the top.

You don't know that. 1 player can and has in many instance made the difference. Dallas is a good team winning the division 2 out of 3 seasons so in terms of how far are we away? I don't think far and I think a big time playmaker at DT or DE or safety could make a very big impact on getting over the hump. Let me ask how many players are we truly away from a real run?

408Cowboy

Reaction score
You inserted this into the middle of my quote

You're the one that brought up free agency about Merriman. Hey turn on the light bulb. What I said was what the Cowboys did prior to leading up to the draft and how they publicly said Merriman was their guy knowing that draft day they were going to take Ware.

Go back and show me where I said anything about Merriman.

So there's never been any All Pros or HOL'ers that have come from the 4th, 5th or 6th rounds? I suppose Brady has no shot at the HOF because he was a 6th rnd pick? So I guess all of the HOF'ers that were draft in the 4th rnd or later don't belong there or all of the players drafted in those rnds that were ALL Pros or went to the Pro Bowl don't count either. Yes the chances are better with higher picks and there are more higher draft choices that make teams all across the league, but that doesn't mean it's smart to use up multiple draft picks to move up when the Cowboys already are without their 1st rnd pick and have several big needs to fill. Lets not forget Romo was a undrafted free agent.

Never said any of that. I said look at the roster and where the majority of the starters were drafted. The majority have been from the top few rounds. After observing that I can understand their comfort/confidence drafting in those rounds rather than the later ones. Now misconstrue it again so you can give another lecture about the NFL and how it works.

Seriously though show me where I ever mentioned Merriman.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Had to reach back 14 years for that one. You realize the FO doesn't really operate the way they did then right?

There's your statement in response to what I said about Jones leading up to the draft said Meriman was his guy but on draft day took Ware and later said Ware was the guy from the getgo.

So yes you referenced Merimanand then you also said that Jones doesn't practice sportsmanship anymore when ALL teams still do.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You don't know that. 1 player can and has in many instance made the difference. Dallas is a good team winning the division 2 out of 3 seasons so in terms of how far are we away? I don't think far and I think a big time playmaker at DT or DE or safety could make a very big impact on getting over the hump. Let me ask how many players are we truly away from a real run?

Lets see, the Cowboys need a DE and DL, a safety and another LB because we can't count on Lee staying healthy. Last season it was the defense that was the dominant until and propelled the Cowboys to where they got at least until the rams game Now they have three for sure holes and probably a 4th and as much as I hope and wish the defense will be as good as last season I just don't see it. Games are won and lost on a single play and any play where even a single player doesn't do his job or isn't up to the challenge can be that play that results in a loss. Also as happy as I was/am that the Cowboys won the division last season lets also be truthful that the NFC East was a pretty weak division with 2 teams having only 7 and 5 wins and the other one had 9. It wasn't like the AFC West with TWO teams with 12 wins or the AFC south where 3 out of the 4 teams had winning records, the top 2 had 11 and 10 wins. Lastly the Cowboys won the division in 2016 and then didn't do squat in 2017 so just because they won it last season doesn't mean they'll repeat with a weaker defense. So to use multiple picks for a single player that will not be the what pushes the Cowboys over the top is foolishness.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Lets see, the Cowboys need a DE and DL, a safety and another LB because we can't count on Lee staying healthy. Last season it was the defense that was the dominant until and propelled the Cowboys to where they got at least until the rams game Now they have three for sure holes and probably a 4th and as much as I hope and wish the defense will be as good as last season I just don't see it. Games are won and lost on a single play and any play where even a single player doesn't do his job or isn't up to the challenge can be that play that results in a loss. Also as happy as I was/am that the Cowboys won the division last season lets also be truthful that the NFC East was a pretty weak division with 2 teams having only 7 and 5 wins and the other one had 9. It wasn't like the AFC West with TWO teams with 12 wins or the AFC south where 3 out of the 4 teams had winning records, the top 2 had 11 and 10 wins. Lastly the Cowboys won the division in 2016 and then didn't do squat in 2017 so just because they won it last season doesn't mean they'll repeat with a weaker defense. So to use multiple picks for a single player that will not be the what pushes the Cowboys over the top is foolishness.

I don't agree Cowboys could move up 10 spot using a 4th rd pick if you look at the point value chart and if doing that gets them a player they feel can help them a lot then would gladly give up a 4th. Again it is not just getting bodies but players you feel that can benefit you. You seem to think if a team has 6 picks in the draft you just take 6 players I don't if I have to give some later picks to get guys I want that means a lot more than just getting a set number of players. Let me say it may be the case that Dallas stays at 58 depending on how the draft plays out but should a player slide to a spot where the Cowboys see a chance to get him then I am in favor of it. I would also not have an issue moving back in the draft again depending on how it plays out and who is there at 58

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don't agree Cowboys could move up 10 spot using a 4th rd pick if you look at the point value chart and if doing that gets them a player they feel can help them a lot then would gladly give up a 4th. Again it is not just getting bodies but players you feel that can benefit you. You seem to think if a team has 6 picks in the draft you just take 6 players I don't if I have to give some later picks to get guys I want that means a lot more than just getting a set number of players. Let me say it may be the case that Dallas stays at 58 depending on how the draft plays out but should a player slide to a spot where the Cowboys see a chance to get him then I am in favor of it. I would also not have an issue moving back in the draft again depending on how it plays out and who is there at 58

Talking heads on draft day talk a lot about the "chart" but when it come right down to it, that chart doesn't mean squat. Tell me the last time a team was able to move up to a high 2nd rnd pick giving up just their low 2nd and a low 4th. The teams with the high 2nd want more than just an extra low 2nd and a low 4th. They could care less about that chart. The draft isn't done in some perfect lab where everything goes by your chart.
./

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They should keep all options open.

I don't think they should go onto this draft focused on trading up; however they should not lock themselves out of the trade up option.

If a player that they have rated as a 1st round pick drops to #48 then they should consider trading up.

If a player they have rated at #38 drops to #48 then they should avoid trading up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They should keep all options open.

I don't think they should go onto this draft focused on trading up; however they should not lock themselves out of the trade up option.

If a player that they have rated as a 1st round pick drops to #48 then they should consider trading up.

If a player they have rated at #38 drops to #48 then they should avoid trading up.

and that is all I am saying. Cowboys need to keep their option open since no one knows how this draft will play out. Guys rise and fall in the draft and if there is a player the Cowboys are very high on and do not want to risk losing them then you I would expect them to go get him

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Talking heads on draft day talk a lot about the "chart" but when it come right down to it, that chart doesn't mean squat. Tell me the last time a team was able to move up to a high 2nd rnd pick giving up just their low 2nd and a low 4th. The teams with the high 2nd want more than just an extra low 2nd and a low 4th. They could care less about that chart. The draft isn't done in some perfect lab where everything goes by your chart.
./

It is not just talking head that chart is used by teams around the league and I have heard GM talk about it

408Cowboy

Reaction score
There's your statement in response to what I said about Jones leading up to the draft said Meriman was his guy but on draft day took Ware and later said Ware was the guy from the getgo.

Reach back 14 years referenced the example you gave.

So yes you referenced Merimanand then you also said that Jones doesn't practice sportsmanship anymore when ALL teams still do.

I never once said they don't practice sportsmanship anymore. I gave an example as you did when you referenced the Ware/Merriman situation.
You're the one that brought up free agency about Merriman. Hey turn on the light bulb. What I said was what the Cowboys did prior to leading up to the draft and how they publicly said Merriman was their guy knowing that draft day they were going to take Ware.

That is you saying I brought up Merriman. Now when asked to clarify that you say it was a response to you bringing it up. Your reading comprehension is horrible.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It is not just talking head that chart is used by teams around the league and I have heard GM talk about it

Then why do most trades for 1st and 2nd round picks don't jive with the "chart" as know when the talking heads point this out. You keep believing in your chart while the teams continue to do trades based on what they are willing to give up.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

That is you saying I brought up Merriman. Now when asked to clarify that you say it was a response to you bringing it up. Your reading comprehension is horrible.

You're the one that needs help in the comprehension department. I brought up Merriman in the draft, you were the one that brought up free agency and I'll quote you. "Had to reach back 14 years for that one. You realize the FO doesn't really operate the way they did then right?"

BTW, free agency today still works the very same way it did then the only difference is now players or their agents can start to negotiate contracts 3 days before free agency starts, but it's still negotiating for free agents which wasn't what I originally referred to Merriman about. IT WAS ABOUT THE DRAFT!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Then why do most trades for 1st and 2nd round picks don't jive with the "chart" as know when the talking heads point this out. You keep believing in your chart while the teams continue to do trades based on what they are willing to give up.

They do and most team every team uses them. I have heard GM talk about it. This was not made up by fans.

Little tidbit

Developed by Jimmy Johnson when he was the coach of the Dallas Cowboys in the late 1980s and early 1990s, this is the chart that NFL general managers often consult before making draft-day trades. It assigns every pick# in the draft with a specific point value, making it easier to compare the relative value of draft picks in different rounds

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index91c0.html?page_id=6682

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They should be trading down. If you’re not going to be active in free agency, you need the draft picks to fill out your roster. Losing a first round pick is essentially losing more than half your draft value, picking up some additional pieces will serve better than whoever that second round pick would have been.
The 2009 Cowboys draft (no 1st round pick but lots of later round picks) proves your theory wrong.

Sheffielder74UK

Reaction score
If there is an edge or safety worthy or starting I see them doing a Lawrence type move to get up in the 2nd. I don’t see them moving for a position we have our starter on the depth chart