Are the Cowboys considering trading up in the second round?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There is no way of knowing if a team is truly 1 player away. If a team is really high on a prospect and have the chance to take him then do it. Of course much will depend on how much you have to give up to move up to get that player.

Teams, unlike fans, pretty much know exactly what their teams can do and if they had that one guy that would push them over the top. All the talking heads on TV and radio say all the time this team or that team is one good player away from going all the way and nobody is saying that about the Cowboys. In fact on a couple of the power rankings the Cowboys have dropped as few spots because of the Gregory and Irvin suspensions so needing a DE and DT. They also say the Cowboys need help at safety and they better start looking for a LT because of Smith's injury problems the past couple of seasons. So to use up badly needed draft picks to mover up to select a single player that won't be that player that will push the Cowboys over the top and waste a pick(s) that they could have gotten more help with is foolishness.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they see someone they like slipping they like they might try and move up, but it's not something they would pre plan without knowing who will be available.

stiletto

Reaction score
I would trade next year's 1st for as high a pick I could get ...... hopefully low 30s

We need a DE/DT and FS and the Draft is loaded at those positions

Get next year's pick a year early..... worked great for ACooper

Why would you trade UP if the positions you need are loaded? You trade down and gain more picks.

visionary

Reaction score
Stephen Jones says they stay away from free agency because you never want to think you want to be thinking you are a player away.

Yet, when it comes to the draft, it is okay to give up the very resources you value to get one player?

Jones will say and do what McClay let's him and like it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Teams, unlike fans, pretty much know exactly what their teams can do and if they had that one guy that would push them over the top. All the talking heads on TV and radio say all the time this team or that team is one good player away from going all the way and nobody is saying that about the Cowboys. In fact on a couple of the power rankings the Cowboys have dropped as few spots because of the Gregory and Irvin suspensions so needing a DE and DT. They also say the Cowboys need help at safety and they better start looking for a LT because of Smith's injury problems the past couple of seasons. So to use up badly needed draft picks to mover up to select a single player that won't be that player that will push the Cowboys over the top and waste a pick(s) that they could have gotten more help with is foolishness.

Many teams have made moves thinking they were close and ended up not being as close as they thought. Gil Brandt was the one who said if you see a player you really like and feel they would fit perfectly into what you are doing you go get them and I have always agreed with that. I also know what you may have to offer up to get that player may be too much of a cost and not worth it. Let me just say if I had to swap my 2nd and a 3rd to move up towards the top of the 2nd to get a player that I felt would be a difference maker then you bet I would.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Probably. I had mentioned this before, but Houston has two picks back to back, 54-55, if Dallas feels the need to jump Philly and NE, who have both been decent drafting teams lately at least as far as value. That'd be draft value with our second 4th rounder.

There is also a possibility of jumping up to the Steelers or Titans (since Philly has another pick right after them), but we'd have to throw in our first 4th and a 5th. That'd take us to 51-52. For the right guy? Maybe.

You have to think trading up more than that is a possibility, although not very probable. Highest I'd go is a 3rd, that could potentially get us into the low 40s. If it's a legitimate guy who has a chance to be a blue chip talent, sure why not. I don't know if I trust them to make this decision, but the option has to be open.

Kinda why you address as many needs as possible in FA, so you can do whatever gets you the best talent in the draft, but that's a different discussion.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Why would you trade UP if the positions you need are loaded? You trade down and gain more picks.
You are not understanding

I want to trade into the late 1st- early 2nd because that area is loaded with talent

I want to keep #58 so I am willing to trade next year's 1st round pick to get a pick this year

stiletto

Reaction score
You are not understanding

I want to trade into the late 1st- early 2nd because that area is loaded with talent

I want to keep #58 so I am willing to trade next year's 1st round pick to get a pick this year

Ok, now I got ya, just didn't read that the way you posted it. You want to trade next year's picks to move up this year? Who do you like so much? If they make the Quinn deal, why move up?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Ok, now I got ya, just didn't read that the way you posted it. You want to trade next year's picks to move up this year? Who do you like so much? If they make the Quinn deal, why move up?
I want to get as many studs added as soon as possible

Why wait a year to cash in that 1st round pick

Someone like the NYG might want to trade #37 to stockpile 1s next year for a QB

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

What are we supposed to be trading up with? I don't think we can get into the 1st with *all* our picks combined.

We traded our first for Cooper. Everyone who loved that should be loving having our first pick late in the second. Feel the love.

Are we just supposed to sell off future draft picks to get some this year? That's the worst. I'd rather get them in trade. Future picks come with a huge time discount. Usually a round. Selling them is giving away long term value. Total loser play.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Nobody knows what the Cowboys are doing. Even the Cowboys don't know what they're doing.

We, The Royal We that is, are being frugal.. We are also hedging our bets at key positions like DE, LB appears to be covered, WR, TE, CB’s which happens to be Your personal favorite to spend on, also appears to be covered. DT and Safety has our attention and we hope to add more..

Oh it just dawned on me, you must mean the Draft.. Well let me ease your mind there Pilgrim, We are going to let it Fall to Us.. We are in Hot Pursuit of another Super Bowl, Jr!!

We believe we can go BPA.. Just curious old foe, what QB would u draft at 58 if one of the Top 5 passers was there, and who do you think might actually be there?

We believe We are more than adequate (That’s what she says,) at QB right now but IF somebody, “Better” is there, YOU just never know..

Jr. wipe the fly sheet off of the dash....

Rayman70

Reaction score
Daylon Mack would be trade up worthy, but not into the first round. Like Mack much more than Ferguson at 58. Ferguson is a lot like the guys we already have though. We need a difference maker on the interior, and I think Mack can do the job.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Daylon Mack would be trade up worthy, but not into the first round. Like Mack much more than Ferguson at 58. Ferguson is a lot like the guys we already have though. We need a difference maker on the interior, and I think Mack can do the job.

He plays like a big lb..

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I want to get as many studs added as soon as possible

Why wait a year to cash in that 1st round pick

Someone like the NYG might want to trade #37 to stockpile 1s next year for a QB
Why would you help the giants get extra first round picks to get a franchise QB......

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Gee it never dawned on you that the Cowboys knowing they have no 1st rnd pick visits with a potential 1st rounder just to do what I said? I'll give you a perfect example of how the Cowboys pulled off what I said. They visited Shawn Merriman and leaked out that he was their guy but come draft day they actually selected DeMarcus Ware. After the draft the Cowboys finally said Ware was their guy from the getgo.
Had to reach back 14 years for that one. You realize the FO doesn't really operate the way they did then right?
Have you ever seen the mile long list of players taken as high as #1 pick that turned out to be busts in the NFL? To say that a high or higher pick is some kind of guarantee of not getting a bust is just goes against that mile long list.
Have you seen the roster and where in the draft all the starters were picked at? The FO has had far better results in the early rounds than the later rounds. Not hard to see why they would be more confident in making those selections.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Many teams have made moves thinking they were close and ended up not being as close as they thought. Gil Brandt was the one who said if you see a player you really like and feel they would fit perfectly into what you are doing you go get them and I have always agreed with that. I also know what you may have to offer up to get that player may be too much of a cost and not worth it. Let me just say if I had to swap my 2nd and a 3rd to move up towards the top of the 2nd to get a player that I felt would be a difference maker then you bet I would.

That would be fine IF, that huge word, IF that one player would be the difference maker, BUT, another big word, BUT the Cowboys are not just one player away from winning it all. The Cowboys are already are without a 1st and to then use the next two highest picks to get a single player that won't push the Cowboys over the top because of other big needs is foolish and reckless use of the draft. You also have to remember when Brandt was in the front office there was no free agency and didn't have to worry about losing players. Then, the only time a player switched teams was if he was cut or traded. Once a player was drafted he was that teams property until he was cut or traded. There was one player that did the only other way and that was to sit out a season after his contract was up so he could sign with who he wanted to and that was John Riggins. After retiring he admitted he never recouped the money he lost sitting out that season and if he could have done it over would never have done it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Had to reach back 14 years for that one. You realize the FO doesn't really operate the way they did then right?

You're the one that brought up free agency about Merriman. Hey turn on the light bulb. What I said was what the Cowboys did prior to leading up to the draft and how they publicly said Merriman was their guy knowing that draft day they were going to take Ware.

Have you seen the roster and where in the draft all the starters were picked at? The FO has had far better results in the early rounds than the later rounds. Not hard to see why they would be more confident in making those selections.

So there's never been any All Pros or HOL'ers that have come from the 4th, 5th or 6th rounds? I suppose Brady has no shot at the HOF because he was a 6th rnd pick? So I guess all of the HOF'ers that were draft in the 4th rnd or later don't belong there or all of the players drafted in those rnds that were ALL Pros or went to the Pro Bowl don't count either. Yes the chances are better with higher picks and there are more higher draft choices that make teams all across the league, but that doesn't mean it's smart to use up multiple draft picks to move up when the Cowboys already are without their 1st rnd pick and have several big needs to fill. Lets not forget Romo was a undrafted free agent.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So there's never been any All Pros or HOL'ers that have come from the 4th, 5th or 6th rounds? I suppose Brady has no shot at the HOF because he was a 6th rnd pick? So I guess all of the HOF'ers that were draft in the 4th rnd or later don't belong there or all of the players drafted in those rnds that were ALL Pros or went to the Pro Bowl don't count either. Yes the chances are better with higher picks and there are more higher draft choices that make teams all across the league, but that doesn't mean it's smart to use up multiple draft picks to move up when the Cowboys already are without their 1st rnd pick and have several big needs to fill. Lets not forget Romo was a undrafted free agent.

Sure it they can odds say those late picks will either not make it or end up in special teams but sure some make it. And yes UDFA sometimes make it odds show that is not overly common. If there was a player the Cowboys had to give up a pick to move up and get that they felt was a real difference maker then I would do it. Most of the time a team is not going to move up for a player unless they are really sold on that player to be something more than avg. One last thing there is a reason why the best compensation pick the league hands out are not in the 1st or 2nd rd of the draft