Are the Cowboys just a better defense away from being contenders?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We had a top offense last year with Dak and have secured our franchise QB and multiple weapons with a proven OL if it can stay healthy .

But what must improve is a defense which was statistically one of the worst in our franchise’s history

How much better does our defense need to be for this team to become more of a contender ? Will average be enough assuming our offense is top 5? Your thoughts !!
This team is several years away. We have changed just about everything you can change except ownership. We will play well at times but not every week as good teams can do. Sit back and wait like the rest of us.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We had a top offense last year with Dak and have secured our franchise QB and multiple weapons with a proven OL if it can stay healthy .

But what must improve is a defense which was statistically one of the worst in our franchise’s history

How much better does our defense need to be for this team to become more of a contender ? Will average be enough assuming our offense is top 5? Your thoughts !!
Yes

plasticman

Reaction score
No.

The chemistry isn't there. This team lacks the culture of winning, the all out commitment to Super Bowls, nothing less. They lack focus, the mentality that nothing will hold them back. They don't have an identity, the "All for one, one for all" togetherness that is most often a characteristic of championship teams.

This team needs to be led by by true leaders that demonstrate their determination by their actions. I think they have all the ingredients, they just need the right cook. I don't believe in McCarthy, but would love to be proven wrong.

Jipper

Reaction score
No.

The chemistry isn't there. This team lacks the culture of winning, the all out commitment to Super Bowls, nothing less. They lack focus, the mentality that nothing will hold them back. They don't have an identity, the "All for one, one for all" togetherness that is most often a characteristic of championship teams.

This team needs to be led by by true leaders that demonstrate their determination by their actions. I think they have all the ingredients, they just need the right cook. I don't believe in McCarthy, but would love to be proven wrong.

They lackED that in previous teams....the makeup of this team has yet to be determined....I have optimism that we're going to see a spark and a change...just have to wait and see

Scotman

Reaction score
This kid played defense better than we did last season. So a lot better.....
200.gif

This doesn't even look like football! Of course, our defense didn't look like it was playing football either.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
They were 13 and 3 just a few years ago and they certainly were a contender in the Dez catch game a couple of years before that.

Never thought so even in those years. 14 the defense was trash and they still made too many mistakes. 2016 was a fun season but the schedule wasnt rough or anything

ESisback

Reaction score
Will people please give the "average" defense thing a rest?

The last 9 SB winners were top 10 in scoring offense AND scoring defense - not average. The same is true of all 5 Cowboys SB winners.

If you want to lose in the playoffs, "average" will get that done. If you want another Lombardi, "average" is merely a step in the right direction.

I could agree with that, but we’ve also seen SB teams with average QBs, teams backing in with 9-7 records, and a team or two who were other-worldly on one side and average on the other.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dallas is no different with Dak than Dalton.. Neither guy is a difference making player.

Id up grade from both. Fields, whom I’m not a a huge fan of, would be better than both because of upside and cap number.

Oh yah buddy. They are same with Dalton as with Dak. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

GURU!!!!!

Batman1980

Reaction score
Compare career numbers - winning percentage, QB numbers, so on and so forth. I can already tell you who they favour.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Actually they were slightly better at winning with Dalton.

No you are right...............when Dak is playing playoff teams and Dalton plays 3rd string QB scrub teams then the team results are about the same. :muttley:

But you want QB results? Dak 37 points a game, Dalton 21. Similar QB play? Sorry bozo, you lose.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Dak was shattering every single franchise passing record before he blew out his wheel. If Dalton had even come within a shadow of that, maybe the Cowboys would've had a leg to stand on during franchise negotiations.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak was shattering every single franchise passing record before he blew out his wheel. If Dalton had even come within a shadow of that, maybe the Cowboys would've had a leg to stand on during franchise negotiations.

Bozo would take Dalton. He is our board QB guru. Same guy that told us Beatherd and Kaaya were going to be better pro QB's than Mahomes.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
[QUOTE="CATCH17, post: 10961829, member: 109"]Dallas is no different with Dak than Dalton.. Neither guy is a difference making player. Id up grade from both. Fields, whom I’m not a a huge fan of, would be better than both because of upside and cap number.

Bozo thought Beatherd and Kaaya were better than Mahomes a few years back. He is the QB guru.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dallas is no different with Dak than Dalton.. Neither guy is a difference making player.

Id up grade from both. Fields, whom I’m not a a huge fan of, would be better than both because of upside and cap number.
A candidate for the most ignorant post of the year. Your all consuming hate for Dak has turned you into a vegetable of a brain.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
A candidate for the most ignorant post of the year. Your all consuming hate for Dak has turned you into a vegetable of a brain.

I don’t hate him.

He just puts us at a competitive disadvantage because of the cap space he consumes vs the quality of player he is.

He’s a rip off.. Bad value.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bozo thought Beatherd and Kaaya were better than Mahomes a few years back. He is the QB guru.

No I thought their game translated better to the Pro’s because they played in pro style offenses and Mahomes played in a college offense that didn’t translate to the NFL at the time.

You can’t comprehend that statement because you just don’t know enough about football and I laugh how you’re so hung up on it. Maybe if you keep paying attention to my posts you’ll learn something but for now you just ain’t there yet.