Are the Cowboys just a better defense away from being contenders?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don’t hate him.

He just puts us at a competitive disadvantage because of the cap space he consumes vs the quality of player he is.

He’s a rip off.. Bad value.
Ok so you don’t think he can lead the team to the Super Bowl. Right?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bozo would take Dalton. He is our board QB guru. Same guy that told us Beatherd and Kaaya were going to be better pro QB's than Mahomes.

Dalton is mediocre. Daks a little better than mediocre.

Neither guy is the reason a team wins or loses because they aren’t overcomes on the field.

One guy gets paid to his true value and the other gets paid like he’s a top NFL QB.

Now inject some kind of stat about a game we were getting blown out or playing a trash squad to validate him being paid.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ok so you don’t think he can lead the team to the Super Bowl. Right?

Dak can win a Super Bowl. I just don’t like his chances with him taking up that much cap space.

Elite QBs struggle to do it.. Like.. HOF caliber QBs struggle.. Much less the Dak’s.

Maybe he’ll get lucky like Eli but we all know Eli’s Dline is why he won anything and I don’t think Dallas prioritizes those kind of players and we aren’t winning anything with Dak’s arm.

The team was better when it featured Zeke and not the pass game.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dak can win a Super Bowl. I just don’t like his chances with him taking up that much cap space.

Elite QBs struggle to do it.. Like.. HOF caliber QBs struggle.. Much less the Dak’s.

Maybe he’ll get lucky like Eli but we all know Eli’s Dline is why he won anything and I don’t think Dallas prioritizes those kind of players and we aren’t winning anything with Dak’s arm.

All great QB’s got a big first contract. Check the history and then get back to me to try and justify your hate.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All great QB’s got a big first contract. Check the history and then get back to me to try and justify your hate.

Yeah but most of them won on rookie deals. The only guy consistently winning on new deals is Brady and he takes below market rate. Dak wanted every penny.

Dak isn’t great either.. He just plays not to lose. A high end game manager.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yeah but most of them won on rookie deals. The only guy consistently winning on new deals is Brady and he takes below market rate. Dak wanted every penny.

What do you mean when you say “most of them won rookie deals?”

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
The defense needs to finish top 15 and the offensive line must stay healthy and play better than they have the past 2-3 seasons.

It’s actually asking a lot. We’re probably at least 1 year away from being real contenders. The defense needs time. Unfortunately our offense doesn’t really have time. The O-line could implode at any moment.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Sorry , I didn’t clarify. I didn’t necessarily mean SB contenders .

Contenders was a vague description.

I meant more can we win our division and possibly make a push in playoffs . Doesn’t mean we could win SB. I agree our defense would have to improve much more than it’s probably capable in one season.
lol so your asking if dallas can be as good as they were in 2018?;) sure it is possible:thumbup:
however that isnt asking for much lol.

My stance is I have doubts about this team and its coaches, to win consistently in a 17 game season, and then do good in playoffs.
Better defense, doesnt guarantee anything, people here keep going on about the defense and mostly blame the defense,
but they cant explain the games dallas loses like the rams game 1 last year they lost 17-20 was that on our defense??
I dont think so, and there are quite a few games where the offense didnt preform well or put up enough points.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
The defense needs to finish top 15 and the offensive line must stay healthy and play better than they have the past 2-3 seasons.

It’s actually asking a lot. We’re probably at least 1 year away from being real contenders. The defense needs time. Unfortunately our offense doesn’t really have time. The O-line could implode at any moment.

Had the defense and oline 17,18,19. I agree I say dallas is 2-3 years away from being contenders still.

Flamma

Reaction score
Assuming our offense can continue averaging 30+ with a healthy Dak/OL, yes.

If our defense is just top 20 with that offensive output we should win 11-12 games in this division.

You can average close to 30 PPG and still be 8-8. We've done it already.

Flamma

Reaction score
What do you mean when you say “most of them won rookie deals?”

Wentz was on a rookie deal when the Eagles won. Goff was on a rookie deal when they got there. Mahomes was currently on a rookie deal both times. I think the exception was Matt Ryan.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No I thought their game translated better to the Pro’s because they played in pro style offenses and Mahomes played in a college offense that didn’t translate to the NFL at the time.

You can’t comprehend that statement because you just don’t know enough about football and I laugh how you’re so hung up on it. Maybe if you keep paying attention to my posts you’ll learn something but for now you just ain’t there yet.

How did their games translate to the NFL? Wow, you are really a QB guru. :muttley:

So I dont pay enough attention to you? You must enjoy getting kicked around the board by everyone. :flagwave:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dalton is mediocre. Daks a little better than mediocre.

Neither guy is the reason a team wins or loses because they aren’t overcomes on the field.

One guy gets paid to his true value and the other gets paid like he’s a top NFL QB.

Now inject some kind of stat about a game we were getting blown out or playing a trash squad to validate him being paid.

The QB GURU Speaks!!!!

FYI................Dalton isnt even mediocre.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
lol so your asking if dallas can be as good as they were in 2018?;) sure it is possible:thumbup:
however that isnt asking for much lol.

My stance is I have doubts about this team and its coaches, to win consistently in a 17 game season, and then do good in playoffs.
Better defense, doesnt guarantee anything, people here keep going on about the defense and mostly blame the defense,
but they cant explain the games dallas loses like the rams game 1 last year they lost 17-20 was that on our defense??
I dont think so, and there are quite a few games where the offense didnt preform well or put up enough points.
I’d argue after missing the playoffs in consecutive seasons that a return to 2018 form would be welcomed.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I don’t hate him.

He just puts us at a competitive disadvantage because of the cap space he consumes vs the quality of player he is.

He’s a rip off.. Bad value.

How dare you talk about Zeke like that. I agree, though. Never pay runningbacks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Actually we’ve had several QB’s win after their Rookie deals besides Brady.

Rodgers, Peyton and Eli Manning, Rothleisburger and Brees all consistently won and even won a Super Bowl after their Rookie contract.

And that doesn’t count other QB’s from Cap era who’ve also won after Rookie deals like Elway, Warner and Favre. These are just off the top of my head. Flacco won a Super Bowl after his Rookie deal too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How did their games translate to the NFL? Wow, you are really a QB guru. :muttley:

So I dont pay enough attention to you? You must enjoy getting kicked around the board by everyone. :flagwave:
He’s just a Dak troll. Splatters crap that isn’t true. Big man behind the keyboard. Something the internet allows you to do.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He’s just a Dak troll. Splatters crap that isn’t true. Big man behind the keyboard. Something the internet allows you to do.

lol.. People talk trash to me.. I never start it with them.. Like you speaking trash here when I’ve never said anything to you.. So don’t get upset when big man behind the keyboard says something back.

Cowboyroy is a little weirdo who is obsessed with my posts and follows me all over the forum like the little weirdo he is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Well your entitled to your opinion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Actually we’ve had several QB’s win after their Rookie deals besides Brady.

Rodgers, Peyton and Eli Manning, Rothleisburger and Brees all consistently won and even won a Super Bowl after their Rookie contract.

And that doesn’t count other QB’s from Cap era who’ve also won after Rookie deals like Elway, Warner and Favre. These are just off the top of my head. Flacco won a Super Bowl after his Rookie deal too.

I’ve acknowledged that other QBs have won in the post you quoted.. I said Brady is the only one consistently doing it.

What none of them are doing with consistency is winning when their cap % hit takes up 12% or more of the teams cap space.

Which is why we keep seeing QBs on rookie deals have so much success and after they get paid they aren’t winning championships when their cap percentage takes up that much space.

Also, I’m pretty sure Flacco was still on his rookie deal when he won the Super Bowl. He was drafted in 2008. He won the Super Bowl in Ferbruary 2013. He signed his new deal March 2013.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/max-qb-sb-ring-facts-data-ryan-mccumber

More teams win SB with a QB that doesn’t have a Franchise Player Max salary (2005-2020) Only 3 times in the last 15 years has the Super Bowl winning QB been a top five highest paid QB that season. In fact this years winning QB Brady was the 10th highest paid and Mahomes was the 24th as his megamax deal has not kicked in yet. With all the QB movement this offseason its no wonder Goff (on a max was an add on) Wentz cant be traded and Dallas doesn't want Dak this Max deals become albatrosses, but its rarely talked about. You cant win a Super Bowl with a Max Contract QB. what you need is a stud QB on a rookie contract or TB12 which were the previous winners

It’s only a matter of time for GMs to start to realize rookie contract QBs should be a strategy worth exploring, trade the QB at his max value for draft picks and draft a rookie QB. Or find the next TB12 and convince him to sign a lower market value contract for the greater good of stardom and endorsements which can far outpace the difference.