News: Are the Cowboys really about to release Zeke?

MTCowboyFan

Reaction score
Personally I think it sucks. Yes, Zeke is wildly over-paid but he has been a great teammate and does a lot of dirty work and was a helluva lot of fun to watch when he still had his explosiveness.

My favorite Zeke game ever was his rookie year against the Steelers. That was big time win for a young team and he was HUGE in that game.

It's not his fault the Jones wildly over-paid on his second contract.

He never whined, cried or complained about his diminished role last year and I hate to see him go.

He was a great Cowboy and it bums me out even though it's the right thing to do.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Per a source close to the situation, the Cowboys are set to part ways with the two-time NFL rushing champ and the running back is preparing to start fresh with a new team.

The move could come as soon as Wednesday afternoon when the league’s 2003 calendar officially begins at 3 p.m. and teams are required to be under the salary cap.

Elliott’s future has been in doubt since the end of the 2022 season.

Elliott, who came to the Cowboys as the No. 4 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, is set to count $16.4 million against the 2023 salary cap with a non guaranteed $10.4 million base salary.

Cutting Elliott saves the Cowboys $4.86 million. If they designate him a post-June 1 cut, they would save $10.9 million

https://news.yahoo.com/ezekiel-elliott-era-done-dallas-130820334.html

Redline360

Reaction score
The best move possible. Provides hardly any upside and his production can be found ridiculously cheap. Even his so called highly talked about blocking has decreased to shambles.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
yes, as has been the plan since the day he signed the deal.
But I do see a chance for him to re-sign (for peanuts) and I'd welcome that.
Doubtful. If that were the case they would've just re-worked the deal and created more space this year, and eliminated dead money next year if designated June 1st.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
not how i read it it gives immediate cap relief. that why you can cut them now on that tag it helps the player find new team during FA and gives you cap relief.
From the web:

What a team is allowed to do is declare a player a post June 1 cut and get the benefit of the June 1st salary cap treatment while also avoiding any offseason payments or guarantees from kicking in.

That being said there is a catch to this rule and this is often overlooked. The team has to carry a player at his full salary cap charge until June 1st even though he has been released from his contract. So the dead money split does not occur in March. It does not help the team create cap room for free agents. It simply gives the team more cap room to use during the rookie signing period and to function when cap accounting expands from 51 players in the offseason to the full roster during the season.

The player is immediately free to sign anywhere, but Dallas doesn’t get the money until June 1st. So TECHINCALLY if Zeke signs right away to New England, he’s on 2 different teams’ books at the same time

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Finally getting it right, was stupid drafting him at 4 and then compounded by giving him a second contract early for the money they did.