Are the Cowboys Super Bowl contenders?

Xeven

Reaction score
At the rate the league is losing star QB we might just need to stay healthy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Id agree with that.

But we came pretty close to playing for a championship. That could be a definition of a contender regardless if we think they were good enough or not to go all the way.

I’d argue anyone in final 8 is a contender. How serious a contender is another discussion.
I would disagree. I simply don't believe it's that simple.

In 2017, TENN made it to the final 8, and they were not super bowl contenders.

kskboys

Reaction score
IMO a contender doesn’t have to be a team we think can win it all. It only has to be a team that can contend for Super Bowl.

Definition of contender” a person or group competing”.

Doesn’t have to be who we think can win it. Simply a team than can compete for it.
Ah, but to compete for a super bowl, you have to get there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would disagree. I simply don't believe it's that simple.

In 2017, TENN made it to the final 8, and they were not super bowl contenders.
We can make selective choices and I’d prob agree but in reality if you are playing for a shot at a championship appearance you’d be a contender. No doubt maybe not as serious contender as others but nevertheless a contender.

It may not fall under what you’d consider or your definition as a contender simply because you don’t see them as possibly winning out.

I might even consider anyone who makes the playoffs a contender to a certain extent since all you need is 2 or 3 wins to make SB. You’re certainly not a contender if you miss the playoffs.

Fmart322

Reaction score
If the answer is yes then we have a problem.

Cowboys record in Super Bowls not in Miami is 5-0.

Cowboys record in Super Bowls played in Miami is 0-3.

This year? Miami.
I used to worry about that but those games were in the orange bowl, not the current Miami stadium.
I think we'll be ok as long as we don't play a real powerhouse.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Yes.

Miami venue is not Dallas' biggest hurdle. Non-factor in the march to the SuperBowl.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
Coming in to the season I would have said no, because Dak isn't good enough... But Dak and the offense look much better this season, so I would expect 11-14 wins, definitely contenders.

However I believe if we get to the Super Bowl this season, we would lose to either the Patriots or Chiefs.

ghst187

Reaction score
No. Not with this defense.

Agree, only if the D vastly improves quickly.
The Saints, with Brees, and the Rams are the best in the NFC with GB, us, Min, and Seattle in the mix for the other spots. I don’t see us beating LA or NO unless we find a pass rush, run defense, and get healthy at S.

Fire407

Reaction score
Every single year when fans and Jerry has started talking Super Bowl, it has ended badly. It is a curse and all of us fans should avoid the topic entirely.
Jerry has to talk Super Bowl every year now. Time is running out.