Are there really fans that would rather still have Garrett?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but if you have a good coach, 10 years ought to be enough, right? :grin:

Not if the issues are above the coach in the organization.

One of the big reasons I was a fan of Garrett’s is the organization under him did sane things for the first time since Jimmy. I was hoping the Joneses had turned a corner.

Now, I think that’s unlikely in Jerry’s lifetime. But I guess we’ll see.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That's what I just said, "if MM doesn't meet expectations they'll fire him and get someone else."
WHY? Because McCarthy can't rely on nepotism to protect his job like Garrett did!
heres a nightmare hypothetical MM fails gone 3-4 years and KM is the new garett..10yrs to try and become Jimmy.. :))

the new pet project comign upo the same exact path is right there on the doorstep :))

Kellen Moore-Dallas cowboy backup QB->QB coach->OC-> gets offers to leave but promises made to stay-> next DC head coach:facepalm::muttley::popcorn:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now wait a minute Idgit, if it was okay to wait TEN years for Garrett to win a SB and he STILL hasn't done it, what's wrong with some MM guys asking for THREE? o_O

Hypocrisy on full display. Expose it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
heres a nightmare hypothetical MM fails gone 3-4 years and KM is the new garett..10yrs to try and become Jimmy.. :))

the new pet project comign upo the same exact path is right there on the doorstep :))

Kellen Moore-Dallas cowboy backup QB->QB coach->OC-> gets offers to leave but promises made to stay-> next DC head coach:facepalm::muttley::popcorn:

Oh yikes! Not again I hope. :facepalm:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really going to miss those two Wildcard wins over the past decade.

Now his groupies can jump up and down and scream "its not his fault" all they want, but you are either part of the problem or part of the solution.

Jason Garrett had a decade and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was not part of the solution, so what does that leave?
That’s under the assumption that’s it’s an All or Nothing goal. If our only measurement is winning championships then there’s going to be many more failures than victories.

Those two Wild Card wins we’re an improvement over the previous 10 years. This era of disappointment is the type of franchise we’ve become under this ownership and dysfunctional organization.

Are we prepared to say that every player this era and last generation was a failure cause they didn’t win a championship ? Is this the kind of franchise and fan base we’ve become?

Parcells didn’t have any more success winning here but I certainly would argue he set us in a better direction during his tenure here.

The greatest measurement for coaching or management is did you leave it in a better place than when you took over. I’d argue Garrett did. If you want to argue we were in a better place in 2010 than we are in 2020 then I’d like to hear that argument.

And don’t misinterpret my perspective for the overall picture as a defense for his coaching ability . My point is it wasn’t a total failure. Unless it’s an All or Nothing proposal which we certainly don’t hold anyone else in our organization to the same Bar including ownership, front office, coaching staff or players.

That said, I agree it was time to make a change but again I’d argue we are in a better position today to succeed moving forward than we were when Garrett took over in 2010 or 2011 when he officially became HC.

And despite the frustrations and disappointments which the emotions of the moment may not allow us to fully appreciate in time as we look back like in Parcells tenure without more success could look back on Garrett’s tenure with the influence he had on moving this franchise in a better direction.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
...…...That said, I agree it was time to make a change but again I’d argue we are in a better position today to succeed moving forward than we were when Garrett took over in 2010 or 2011 when he officially became HC.

Is that what you call success? Simply leaving the Cowboys "in a better position to succeed moving forward" after 10 freaking years?? :omg:
You don't set the bar very high do you. That is a horrible return on Jerry's investment. He made Garrett a multi millionaire and was left with a little better team than he had 10 years ago. Allegedly.
No owner hires a HC giving him 10 years to just leave a team in a better position than when he started.

Beast_from_East nailed it: "Jason Garrett had a decade and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was not part of the solution!"
IMO that's putting it mildly.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is that what you call success? Simply leaving the Cowboys "in a better position to succeed moving forward" after 10 freaking years?? :omg:
You don't set the bar very high do you. That is a horrible return on Jerry's investment. He made Garrett a multi millionaire and was left with a little better team than he had 10 years ago. Allegedly.
No owner hires a HC giving him 10 years to just leave a team in a better position than when he started. Especially when that doesn't include anything beyond the divisional round.

Beast_from_East nailed it: "Jason Garrett had a decade and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was not part of the solution!"
IMO that's putting it mildly.
I’d argue the Bar is lower this era.

Again perspective based on the results this entire era not just the last 10 years.

As far as return on investment I’d argue that Jerry and the Cowboys worth grew surmountable if you’re wanting to place a monetary value on it.

It sounds to me like we have a segment of fan base that only has one measurement in evaluating a HC success. Winning championships.

Anything less is a total failure. We certainly don’t have the same mentality or Bar measuring the rest of our organization from front office to players.

And I’d say Garrett was part of the solution in creating sounder football decisions during his tenure. Did they culminate into the success we set our ultimate goals at ? No, and why a change was made.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Garrett was stuck in a time warp. He wouldnt adapt and change anything. And bringing in two of the worst head coaches in the history of football to be your offensive and defensive coordinators was about the dumbest thing he could do if he had any say in it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett was stuck in a time warp. He wouldnt adapt and change anything. And bringing in two of the worst head coaches in the history of football to be your offensive and defensive coordinators was about the dumbest thing he could do if he had any say in it.
He didn’t even have the say in who did the play calling. Not sure we think he had any say in those coaching decisions.

The dumb decisions in managing our coaching staff including our HC fall squarely on our ownership.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He didn’t even have the say in who did the play calling. Not sure we think he had any say in those coaching decisions.

The dumb decisions in managing our coaching staff including our HC fall squarely on our ownership.
But the ability to gameplan for opponents weekly and make in game adjustments falls squarely in Garretts lap.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
they should go be NYG fans now....
I still wonder if he really was as incredibly bad at his job as it appeared or if he was purposely trying to torpedo the team but keep his job...I still don’t know.
You could seriously go to a Madden video game tournament and find 20 people who could better manage games, call plays, and find mismatches than him.
He went out of his way to endorse failures to protect his status as HC, it never mattered how that would negatively impact this franchise, Garrett was about preserving Garretts automatic payroll deposit. Garrett preferred surrounding himself with failures,, Moore shows up and ruined his plans.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I always looked at the Garrett era as the best of the rest, comparing it to Gailey, Campo, Parcells and Phillips.

It was still frustrating and disappointing and an extension of the mediocre era since the 90’s dynasty.

But when you compare to his recent predecessors it actually isn’t as bad as some would present. He won more division titles and playoff games than the previous 4 HC’s over a decade combined.

We came closer to finally breaking thru to a championship appearance 3 times which is twice more than the previous 4 HC’s. If we break thru in any of those then it’s probably a different mindset despite Garrett’s obvious game mgmt struggles at times and his inexperience.

No doubt it was time to move on. But I think pending how the Cowboys fare moving forward Garretts record which BTW in last 4 years only Belichick won more games, will be held in a higher esteem under the circumstances than most can now.

Most importantly , I think this era along with Garrett’s stint is more reflective on our ownership and dysfunctional organization as no one is having anymore success with this franchise.Time will tell if current HC can finally go where no HC has in the last 2+ decades.
Just keeping it simple, this franchise actually completed a task that is seldom, rarely ever achieved in assembling one of the best OLs of this decade under Garretts tenure here.
and redball still couldn't figure anything out...lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But the ability to gameplan for opponents weekly and make in game adjustments falls squarely in Garretts lap.
Yes. I’m not really an astute enough X and O fan to determine how well he did overall on that aspect of his job. I think it’s natural for fans to focus more on the negative than positive.

Its easy to second guess and play Monday Morning QB when it doesn’t work but there’s not as much applause when it does work.

And then who’s responsible. Is it for the lack of execution or design? Again, I’m not one who’s qualified to always make that determination.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just keeping it simple, this franchise actually completed a task that is seldom, rarely ever achieved in assembling one of the best OLs of this decade under Garretts tenure here.
and redball still couldn't figure anything out...lol
Define “ anything” . What didn’t he figure out?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Define “ anything” . What didn’t he figure out?
Creating exploitations..
Don't know how to simplify it any further.
Garretts biggest hurdle that he never overcame, was just utilizing the tools he already had.
People can laugh all they want, but Ive been yelling for 2 yrs that Olawale is a wasted talent on this roster.
Part his fault for signing here, but Im scraping ground roots here cause you asked me, so Im even saying at the ground level, Garrett wasted every opportunity to exploit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Creating exploitations..
Don't know how to simplify it any further.
Garretts biggest hurdle that he never overcame, was just utilizing the tools he already had.
People can laugh all they want, but Ive been yelling for 2 yrs that Olawale is a wasted talent on this roster.
Part his fault for signing here, but Im scraping ground roots here cause you asked me, so Im even saying at the ground level, Garrett wasted every opportunity to exploit.
Sorry but I don’t understand what you’re saying?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not only did he "have a say in it", both were "his guys" and ended up here as a direct result of either a direct connection to Garrett or a direct connection to someone who was directly connected to Garrett. Anyone who tries to tell you that any coaches were forced on Garrett is lying to you.