Are there really fans that would rather still have Garrett?

Big_D

Reaction score
The level of hate for a Garrett is really ridiculous. Dallas has had coaches that was much worse. Sure, it was time for him to go, but some of these posters act like he was the second coming of Dave Campo. It is really going to be an eye-opener when MM doesn’t do much better. For all of his faults, at least a Garrett didn’t skip team activities to get massages. Garrett was never accused of being lazy and disinterested in doing his job. One of the main reasons why Garrett is hated is due to the massive amount of overrating the talent the team has had the last few years. MM will have the same problem.

I'm sure Garrett would've been awesome with that Campo team. lol. Garrett was pure garbage. 13 years of it. Not 3 not 2. Nearly a decade and a half. Jerry was a complete buffoon before Parcells got here and that team was 5-11 for that very reason. Garrett's hated because his gameday decisions and late season collapses are legendary. Funny the talent was good enough to put up top 10 numbers and beat good teams from September to November. But handle pressure? nope couldn't look anymore lost or unprepared while 2 division teams win Super Bowls. Give me break. Wondering if Mike gets a decade plus to fold on a regular basis???

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't believe some people are actually defending the Garrett era. It's baffling to me, especially when comparing his resume to McCarthy's. You have one guy who never made a NFC Championship game in nine seasons as a head coach compared to a guy who made four of them in his entire career with the Packers, including winning a Super Bowl. Sure, he had Rodgers and there's no doubt that made it easier for him, but Garrett had Romo and Dak, two quarterbacks who he could've won a championship with.

Is it all Garrett's fault? No, Jerry and co. played a part in that with their dysfunctional front office and bone-headed moves over the years. But great coaches can overcome that stuff. Garrett wasn't terrible and wasn't one of the worst head coaches in the league, he was just simply average (hence the multiple 8-8 seasons). We should've moved on after 2015 and it was damn sure time to move on after this past season.

The two jobs aren’t really the same at all, for one. And nobody should believe for a second that coaching was the only reason the Cowboys haven’t advanced to a championship game since 1995, for another. And, having Aaron Rodgers is a pretty big “sure, but” if you’re talking about advancing in the playoffs. We all have seen that first-hand.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The level of hate for a Garrett is really ridiculous. Dallas has had coaches that was much worse. Sure, it was time for him to go, but some of these posters act like he was the second coming of Dave Campo. It is really going to be an eye-opener when MM doesn’t do much better. For all of his faults, at least a Garrett didn’t skip team activities to get massages. Garrett was never accused of being lazy and disinterested in doing his job. One of the main reasons why Garrett is hated is due to the massive amount of overrating the talent the team has had the last few years. MM will have the same problem.

I’ve probably done too much saying “Jason is actually a pretty good coach” around here for his true haters to take this opinion seriously, but you’re right. The job in Dallas is a really big one. The owner is a pain in the ***. In a business where “everything has to break right” to win a championship, it’s a lot harder to make that happen with a bunch of big distractions going on. Jimmy said as much once he got out of the job, and he was right.

jnday

Reaction score
I'm sure Garrett would've been awesome with that Campo team. lol. Garrett was pure garbage. 13 years of it. Not 3 not 2. Nearly a decade and a half. Jerry was a complete buffoon before Parcells got here and that team was 5-11 for that very reason. Garrett's hated because his gameday decisions and late season collapses are legendary. Funny the talent was good enough to put up top 10 numbers and beat good teams from September to November. But handle pressure? nope couldn't look anymore lost or unprepared while 2 division teams win Super Bowls. Give me break. Wondering if Mike gets a decade plus to fold on a regular basis???
I guess the constant failure over the last 25 years is all on Garrett instead of Herry that has instituted the country club atmosphere where players are not accountable. MM will have the same problems. Any coach will in a Dallas. I guess Garrett was at fault for Dez’s no-catch and the other high payed players mistakes on the field.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
I’ve probably done too much saying “Jason is actually a pretty good coach” around here for his true haters to take this opinion seriously, but you’re right. The job in Dallas is a really big one. The owner is a pain in the ***. In a business where “everything has to break right” to win a championship, it’s a lot harder to make that happen with a bunch of big distractions going on. Jimmy said as much once he got out of the job, and he was right.

Exactly. No coach has been able to overcome it and MM will be no exception.

jnday

Reaction score
Garrett may be fine as a person....(when he's not stabbing somebody in the back), but as an NFL coach at any level he falls short.
I think you are going to be proven wrong by Garrett as the Giant’s OC. The Giant’s have never allowed players to go straight to the GM and undermine the coaches.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I think you are going to be proven wrong by Garrett as the Giant’s OC. The Giant’s have never allowed players to go straight to the GM and undermine the coaches.
There's no basis that even remotely backs that up....players going to the GM has nothing whatsoever to do with his inability to make smart on field decisions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no basis that even remotely backs that up....players going to the GM has nothing whatsoever to do with his inability to make smart on field decisions.

It’ll be interesting to see. JG has a history of fielding top-10 offenses. We’ll find out how much of that was him and how much was the players in Dallas at the time.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is really going to be an eye-opener when MM doesn’t do much better.
No one has a crystal ball. But there is no way McCarthy will get out coached 16 times a year. There is no way McCarthy will botch the kicking position and cost the Cowboys at least 2-3 games this year. The team will be better prepared and the in-game adjustments will improve. Given all that, it's a HUGE reach to say McCarthy won't do much better.

Big_D

Reaction score
I guess the constant failure over the last 25 years is all on Garrett instead of Herry that has instituted the country club atmosphere where players are not accountable. MM will have the same problems. Any coach will in a Dallas. I guess Garrett was at fault for Dez’s no-catch and the other high payed players mistakes on the field.

players mistakes? lol They're never prepared. Never. No balls, just a snipped bunch that you knew would collapse before they even got there. That's problem. You never saw a well coached, well prepared football team with some kind of confidence. There was none. You act as if 13 years of complete crap clock management and gameday management doesn't exist. It's been a joke. So year 13, no offensive points in the most important game of their season and Garretts coaching career as a Cowboy ... result? the usual meltdown. 2019. Contract on the line... and the famous collapse against a team decimated by injuries. Doesn't matter who is lining up where. That changed hands so many times. Apparently you're quick to blame the assistant coaches and players though.

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see. JG has a history of fielding top-10 offenses. We’ll find out how much of that was him and how much was the players in Dallas at the time.
He's had some pretty strong rosters here and still averages around 8-8, his in game decisions were horrendous for the most part......as a spitting, clapping cheerleader he was awesome...as a coach not so much.........Judge better watch his back in NY......the career killing back stabber is in town.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I just hope when we play the Giant's he makes those head scratching moves so many of us dreaded:laugh:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Clown clapper is going to run Barkley into the ground.

Clapper won't use Barkley just like he didn't use DeMarco Murray when he was calling plays. He's going to wear Daniel Jones' arm out. Garrett being OC of the Giants is the best thing the Cowboys could have asked for.