Are we a better team now than at season end?

• Total voters

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think our talent is about the same, not counting the huge upgrade at QB2 who hopefully doesn’t play at all.

I also think coaching is pretty comparable, with the notable exception of the ST staff, which is much improved.

So, I’d expect results similar to what we’ve seen in recent years where were a division contender (front-runner, really) and are a team capable of competing for the NFCCG. I do think the change in direction ought to have a positive impact this year. Things were getting stale after so many years of not breaking through.

I also think an abbreviated or disrupted camp and preseason puts us at a huge disadvantage this year that’s going to be tough to overcome, especially early. If Dak misses real time over his contract, good luck.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Would prefer a 3rd choice; "about the same until proven otherwise"

Personnel-wise, I'm not sure that we're better.
But add in all of the coaching changes, I guess I lean towards "yes"

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Roster is debatable, at least. We lost Fred, Jones and Quinn but gained Poe, McCoy, Dalton, Ha Ha and Lamb. And I think Worley is gonna surprise everyone.

Shouldn't be a debate though.

Lost a top CB, a 10+ sack Edge, and a perennial pro bowl C, while adding Poe who isn't a good player, McCoy who is only a marginal step up from Collins, who we also lost, if at all, Dalton is depth that I mentioned, and HaHa who is the only definitive positional starter upgrade we got out of free agency.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
can we get to some actual games before we start posts like this, I mean 3 games in would be good start and knowing if Gregory and Smith are on the field etc..way early for posts like this

I like our chances to improve 2 games just over new coaching staff and starting the year with better STs..
Happy to see you’re still posting. Glad to see ranching still here too. And others be good be safe

johneric8

Reaction score
  • Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, safety
  • Gerald McCoy, defensive tackle
  • Dontari Poe, defensive tackle.
  • CeeDee Lamb, WR
  • Trevon Diggs, CB
These players make us better than what we lost ...... Fredbeard is the only exception but he was not gonna be the same player anymore anyway

Tyler Biadass will be as good as fredrick was last year, mark it down.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think I know the answer here.

Losing T. Frederick, B. Jones, R. Quinn and many others makes it difficult to say definitively it is a "yes", but I think a lot of people will say "yes"
I'm not sure this is a serious question.

Just changing head coaches and the coaching staff alone makes this a better team.

Add in all the roster changes and it's a slam dunk. I mean, it's not even close.

The Cowboys are waaaaaaaaaaaay better than they were 3 months ago.

JayFord

Reaction score
At seasons end last year this team put up 100 points in the last three games

in those last 3 games they also put up 9 in the one that actually mattered

so imo idk if were a better team but i hope so....because the end of last year disgusted me

now talent wise? Yes we are better
Coaching wise? Without seeing our new staff perform im going to say yes they are better

CCBoy

Reaction score
Actually, this excites this fan:

Randy Gregory and Aldon Smith are two possibilities, although each of them needs to be formally reinstated from suspension by the league before they can be counted as part of the roster. Tyrone Crawford has been a regular starter in Dallas for the last few years, but he had surgery on both hips after appearing in four games during the 2019 season.

Crawford feels confident he’ll be able to make his case for playing time, however. He said he’s feeling “surprisingly” well at this point in the calendar and expects to continue feeling that way.

“Obviously, double hip surgery is nothing to play around with. But I’m feeling awesome, ready to go,” Crawford said, via the team’s website.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...r-hip-surgeries/?utm_source=NEWSandRUMORS.com

Combine that with free agency and the draft, and there should also be good/aggressive types of pop you in the jaws...to go with them.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Actually the question comes down to "are we a better team than last year's 8-8 record.?? Well, if we're not, this fan base will go crazy after all the hype. 8-8 is no longer great.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Some roster spots we are
DT is better
DE is worse
CB has potential but nothing proven
Oline loss of Fred but I think the depth will be fine
LB basically the same
WR better
TE about the same
RB the same

I'm pretty close:
DT depth is better
DE is worse
CB is easily worse, depth is better
OL is worse both at swing tackle and starting C
LB is same
WR I believe is better
TE is worse, but will hopefully be used better
RB the same
Safety is better

Big_D

Reaction score
Plus it's not just about being better 'right now', but having a long term plan with coaching and the FO making smarter decisions. They're well on their way. Who really cares about comparing position by position. Means absolutely nothing with a new cast of coaches and a different approach.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a debate though.

Lost a top CB, a 10+ sack Edge, and a perennial pro bowl C, while adding Poe who isn't a good player, McCoy who is only a marginal step up from Collins, who we also lost, if at all, Dalton is depth that I mentioned, and HaHa who is the only definitive positional starter upgrade we got out of free agency.
We didn't have a Pro Bowl C last year and I'm expecting Poe and McCoy to be a bigger upgrade than you evidently are. You skipped right over Lamb and I didn't mention the TE situation, the addition of Bell as a blocker, and as much as I love Witten I think we'll see some healthy addition by subtraction with Jarwin getting starter's minutes. Like I said, it's at least debatable.