Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All coaches are brought in to win championships. How many have failed their teams as well.
So they are all failures as well until they win?

Andy Reid failed time and time again until they drafted Mahomes. So he was a failure up to that point?
No, the NFL has had several HC’s who made HOF without winning a championship and several other solid HC’s who haven’t .

Much like QB and other talent winning championships isn’t the only measurement of greatness.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don’t know how we could be in a better place with McCarthy with only one playoff win in four seasons. Don’t know how we could be in a better place with McCarthy when we’re leading the league or close to leading the league in penalties every season. Don’t know how we could be in a better place with McCarthy losing our last two home playoff games to lower seeded teams. We’re still laying an egg against at least one bad team every season where we decide not to show up and play. We’re seeing the same crap under him we saw under the previous head coaches.
It probably depends when you ask fans. Until the playoffs last year most fans would argue we were in a better place .

And arguably the best team we’ve had since at least 2014 , maybe 2016 , if not 2007.

Can he get us over the hump? Who knows . He’s going to get at least one more chance.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
no. he is next in line of coaches we have had. its all about popularity of Cowboys with Jerry and relevance and jersey sales and butts in seats.
he did talk about coaches dead money. but unless a coach is really going to hurt the cowboys he won't make a move. he went to the end with Garrett. now to the end with MM. he let Wade walk because it was a disaster at 1-7.
its all about generating hope, perception of progress and getting better so butts get in seats, we stay in the news, people buy jerseys. cha ching

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As a Cowboys HC he's been nothing more than his QB.

Which is a good regular season guy but truly poor at his job against playoff level competition.

Like his QB again, his ceiling has been reached and it is time for his replacement.

But it would not surprise me to hear Jerry extending him and Prescott both.
That's just the current Cowboy reality we live in.
Yea, I’m not sure anyone can overcome the toxic atmosphere and dysfunctional organization Jethro has built?

But we could argue this might be about as good as it gets. And we could also argue if hadn’t mattered much the HC’s we have had this era.

There’s a common denominator and one constant throughout each HC, QB and team.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Me having played organized sports has absolutely nothing to do with what’s been going on with this organization the past 30 years. There’s a lot of people who get paid to talk NFL football that thought McCarthy should have been fired after the debacle in the playoffs. How can you be doing a very good job when your team shows up flat for the playoffs? How can you be doing a very good job when your team is leading the league in penalties? He was absolutely brought here to win a championship. His resume in Green Bay that included a Super Bowl win got him the job with the Cowboys.

When the Joneses were both asked why McCarthy still has a job after what happened in the playoffs, they keep bringing up that damn Super Bowl win he had 13 years ago. That was the selling point Jerry used during his presser when he announced McCarthy as the head coach four years ago. When your team is showing up flat for the playoffs and it leads to an embarrassment especially at home that’s on the head coach. There’s no excuse for a 12 win team to look as bad as we did in the playoffs.
Probably one reason….they didn’t want to pay him to go away, and also have to pay his replacement. Don’t forget that’s supposedly a major problem in the NFL, although I haven’t heard one other owner complain. Yeah, Stephen Jones is THAT cheap.

Another possibility is that they really don’t have any clue as to how to react in this situation, and the opinion by committee thing is in the way to an extent.

People have been calling this FO “dysfunctional” for some time now, but I think about now is the first time it’s become very difficult since the Campo years.

Romo and Prescott covered up plenty. Thats why I figure them to eventually overpay him to delay the inevitable, and I bet Jerry’s ego and the idea of voluntarily going into the 2000-2005 years are having quite the battle.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
no. he is next in line of coaches we have had. its all about popularity of Cowboys with Jerry and relevance and jersey sales and butts in seats.
he did talk about coaches dead money. but unless a coach is really going to hurt the cowboys he won't make a move. he went to the end with Garrett. now to the end with MM. he let Wade walk because it was a disaster at 1-7.
its all about generating hope, perception of progress and getting better so butts get in seats, we stay in the news, people buy jerseys. cha ching
Yea, it’s why I don’t get too worked up about it anymore.

But at least so far McCarthy hasn’t been the savior many thought he would be.

fivetwos

Reaction score
he can quit or retire.
And also not collect his salary in that case, which just may be his last significant paycheck.

Jerry may be pushing buttons, or maybe he isn’t, but Mike isn’t quitting. Jerry will have to fire him and pay him if he doesn’t finish this season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
I can make the case for MM in two words... Jason Garrett.

Three consecutive 12-5 season tells anyone with common sense that we are on the right path. Finish the job, big Mike!

shabazz

Reaction score
A better place with McCarthy is to be in FRONT of him at the buffet line.

I was behind him once and he took the last 6 empanadas in the tray

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Before one calls me a hater please hear me out..... Dak's first year, I thought he was the greatest since sliced bread. I was on the Dak train when the arguments were made about making Dak the permanent starter or keeping Romo as the starter. Today, I still feel if Dak doesn't have pressure, he can play lights out... When you see the scared look in his eyes, that's when it goes to hell in a handbasket... Knowing what we know now, he's not ready to be a QB that can get us beyond regular season. He just isn't.

It’s hard to pay him and build the juggernaut team he needs.

That’s the problem.

Rodgers and Brady left their teams and were replaced and did more in the playoffs than we did.

I feel like we can focus on the team and be no worse than we are now by getting rid of Dak.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
You’re both right.

Hes done a good job and we are clearly a much better team on Sundays.

Mike McCarthy is a legit NFL coach.

But…

Lack of playoff success should cost any coach their job.
100% Both can be correct. In a better place, but when a team comes out that unprepared against an underdog in the playoffs, that has to lay at the coach's feet...especially given the team's (Dallas') regular season success (which means they HAVE some talent). The bottom line is they got outcoached and outmanned against a team with seemingly less success (and maybe less talent), through and through.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is Mike's record after 4 years.......

DAL20206100.3753rd in NFC East
DAL20211250.7061st in NFC East01.000Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Wild Card Game
DAL20221250.7062nd in NFC East11.500Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Divisional Game
DAL20231250.7061st in NFC East01.000Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Wild Card Game

This is Garrett's

DAL*2010530.6253rd in NFC East
DAL2011880.5003rd in NFC East
DAL2012880.5003rd in NFC East
DAL2013880.5002nd in NFC East
DAL20141240.7501st in NFC East11.500Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game
I think it's better to use garrets last 4 years because that is where mike started.

20198-8-02nd -- NFC East--Jason GarrettRoster / Stats
201810-6-01st -- NFC East1-1 - Lost Divisional PlayoffsJason GarrettRoster / Stats
20179-7-02nd -- NFC East--Jason GarrettRoster / Stats
201613-3-01st -- NFC East0-1 - Lost Divisional PlayoffsJason GarrettRoster / Stats

Praxit

Reaction score
......nope. Three 12-5 seasons. One playoff win, to show.

Biggest telling, how 23' ended. This guy lost his Mojo, years ago.

Why he's back? Obviously, Jerry thing.

Bing

Reaction score
Does it really matter? Either you are the Super Bowl winner or you are one of 31 losers. Since we will never win another Super Bowl with JJ owning the team who cares if we are the 4th place, 9th place or even the 31st place loser. Outside of what position we draft in the following year what difference does it make. Come on folks this organization has been a sh!* show for years. It doesn't matter who is standing on the sideline. Just sit back, laugh at it and relax. Nothing is going to change.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
My concern is we could easily get someone worse than MM as our next HC.
We haven't been to a Super bowl for 28 years.
Is that MM's fault??