Are we really trying to win now or build for the future?

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
The Cowboys actions dictate otherwise. They have said and pretty much made it clear through their actions that they do not believe in paying a lot of money for the TB position. So they wouldn't go above $12MM guaranteed for Murray, $14MM guaranteed for Miller who they had interest in. Knowing that, they would be doing a 180 on their own policy on TBs if they took Elliott at 4 because Elliott would be guaranteed almost $23-24MM based on rookie contracts.

I don't think there is really any chance they take Elliott at 4. It would go against their policy on paying a lot of money to a position that takes a beating and they believe wears down quickly.

Maybe a trade back and then Elliott? Possibly.

My guess is they go TB this year 3rd or 4th round.

ELLIOTT wont make it pass the eagles!!!!!

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
We're always building for the future. The only player we've lost from last year is Mr. Cancer. Free agency has just begun and we still have the draft.

not sure i agree with always but clearly the past few years a foundation for the future while playing for now has been evident..just a sense they be leaning more towards the future right now than all in for this year

Sydla

Reaction score

Which does nothing for me.

Eagles are going to likely get a good player at 8 now.............. whether it be Stanley or Elliott or Jack.

I can only concern myself with hoping that the Cowboys actually know what they are doing.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not really, Henry will be there at 34. I have no doubt.

I sure hope you're right about that. His impressive showing at the Combine just might push him into the late first round, though. We'll see.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Which does nothing for me.

Eagles are going to likely get a good player at 8 now.............. whether it be Stanley or Elliott or Jack.

I can only concern myself with hoping that the Cowboys actually know what they are doing.

It may take far more than one or two guys to straighten the Eagles out. The same could easily be said for us, though -- lol.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
not sure i agree with always but clearly the past few years a foundation for the future while playing for now has been evident..just a sense they be leaning more towards the future right now than all in for this year

Teams that "go all in" in free agency rarely find success. The Giants just spent 10mil per yr on their 1 tech DT. We just spent 4mil for ours. I like solid spending it allows us to sign our own talent back. i.e. Dez, Tyron, Fred, ect.

By always I mean under Garrett, McClay, and Co. They have always been building for the future and for right now. Don't let an injury plagued 2015 cloud where this team really stands.

A bell cow rb, solid db, and solid contributors on the dline and this team will be a force.

Flashy signings look and feel sexy. Solid money decisions and sticking to your plan is what builds a sustainable future. Trust in the Front Office my man. Look what they accomplished in last years offseason if you need an example.

Last edited:

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
OK. Let's use Jerry's own words. He came out after the season and said two things really needed to be fixed more than anything else.......... we needed a pass rush and we needed to upgrade the backup QB spot because it was unacceptable we couldn't win a game when Romo went down.

So starting today, how does what's left in free agency and the draft solve those problems?

It's an honest question.

Which I have already answered or given my opinion on. Difference between your view and mine is I see Thornton and filling a big hole at an incredible price. We continue to make solid acquisitions like that and we'll be just fine.

To me the 2 most important positions to address are safety and rb and we still have plenty of really good options there with the draft and fa.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Teams that "go all in" in free agency rarely find success. The Giants just spent 10mil per yr on their 1 tech DT. We just spent 4mil for ours. I like solid spending it allows us to sign our own talent back. i.e. Dez, Tyron, Fred, ect.

My always I mean under Garrett, McClay, and Co. They have always been building for the future and for right now. Don't let a injury plagued 2015 cloud where this team really stands.

A bell cow rb, solid db, and solid contributors on the dline and this team will be a force.

Flashy signings look and feel sexy. Solid money decisions and sticking to your plan is what builds a sustainable future. Trust in the Front Office my man. Look what they accomplished in last years offseason if you need an example.

yeah last year bringing in hardy was a move i felt was more for the now than the future..hard for me to trust a front office that has been up and down with more down the past twenty years but it is still early and the draft is yet to come so i will continue to wait and see what transpires..i do like the thornton move good signing for now and the next few years..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt it unless Cleveland is swapping and getting picks + Kaepernick.

Sure, there could be a later round pick thrown in there from San Francisco as well. But if other teams like Denver are offering their second rounders as reported, it shouldn't take too much more than that. And again, Cleveland would be filling their quarterback need and still have a top ten pick. None of the other trade offers provide that much to both parties.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no way Kaep is work the number 2 overall

Who said that? I said a swap of picks. Cleveland would get #7 overall and Kaepernick (and possibly an additional pick) and the 49'ers would get #2 overall.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt we take RB at 4
I would rather take QB or trade down

My feeling is that the FO is a group of reactionary deciding makers who have no idea what they are doing. The game plan seems to change from year to year and even week to week with little direction or sense of philosophy of team building. We try to copy the blueprint of whoever wins the SB and scrap that in favor of whoever wins next year.

Our strategy appears to be "hope"
That is not how you build a contender

Nailed it!
:clap:

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
yeah last year bringing in hardy was a move i felt was more for the now than the future..hard for me to trust a front office that has been up and down with more down the past twenty years but it is still early and the draft is yet to come so i will continue to wait and see what transpires..i do like the thornton move good signing for now and the next few years..

Not just Hardy. How about a great draft and stealing Collins? I understand the 20 year trust issue. However, we have to look at this from a 5 year perspective. Stephen and Co. had to clean up a messy cap and churn a subpar roster. Take a few minutes and compare Wade's drafts versus Garrett's.
This is a playoff team right now. They just need to add a solid DB and a bell cow and that puts this team over the top. They'll find serviceable edge rushers at a cheaper price.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK. Let's use Jerry's own words. He came out after the season and said two things really needed to be fixed more than anything else.......... we needed a pass rush and we needed to upgrade the backup QB spot because it was unacceptable we couldn't win a game when Romo went down.

So starting today, how does what's left in free agency and the draft solve those problems?

It's an honest question.

Hardy is the answer at defensive end. Deal with the 'drama' of being late and him being an oddball. Nothing he did here is something he'd never done before and if this team is shocked, that's on them for not doing their homework.

And maybe they could back up all of their talk about helping players by helping Hardy to continue to grow and mature as a man? I'd bet if he had more sacks in 2015 they would.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm good with that. Because they still don't have their answer at quarterback. They're throwing money at Bradford and Daniel and hoping that one of them can be 'the guy'.

If we can get a quarterback at #4, we'll have our bridge from Romo to the future and will still be much better off than the Eagles.

Reaction score
Smart teams know how to build for now AND build for the future. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It can and should be both.

Sadly, I don't believe we are a smart team.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
In today's NFL it looks like you are only in rebuild mode if you don't have a QB. If you have one, you spend every off-season trying to put pieces around him through FA and draft. The Ravens were never rebuilding after their Superbowl win despite having all of those guys leave because they had Flacco. The Broncos all of the sudden appear to be rebuilding because they lost their starter AND heir apparent, despite having a solid squad at the rest of the positions.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score

My always I mean under Garrett, McClay, and Co. They have always been building for the future and for right now. Don't let a injury plagued 2015 cloud where this team really stands.

I do agree about teams going all in doesn't automatically equals success. However, we have seen 1 or 2 stars that move during the offseason to a team that does positive things for that team in the next season and/or beyond.

Key examples from the 90s off the top of my head Ken Norton / Deion to SF, Deion to Dal, Faulk to Rams, Harrison to Pats, Rice to TB, Brees to N.O., and most recent was Revis going to the Pats, and we all know what Denver did but it took a while to reach their goal.

What I am saying is that I don't want Dallas to do what the Giants did, but it wouldn't hurt to try and get at least one playmaker in a area that we are weak in that makes an immediate impact for the Cowboys right now and for the future.
If the Cowboys feel that there weren't any big names this year that can make an impact, then I don't blame them for not being aggressive. But, if we see some big time names that are doing well in their new teams, that makes me wonder what if he was in Dallas.