Are we really trying to win now or build for the future?

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
I do agree about teams going all in doesn't automatically equals success. However, we have seen 1 or 2 stars that move during the offseason to a team that does positive things for that team in the next season and/or beyond.

Key examples from the 90s off the top of my head Ken Norton / Deion to SF, Deion to Dal, Faulk to Rams, Harrison to Pats, Rice to TB, Brees to N.O., and most recent was Revis going to the Pats, and we all know what Denver did but it took a while to reach their goal.

What I am saying is that I don't want Dallas to do what the Giants did, but it wouldn't hurt to try and get at least one playmaker in a area that we are weak in that makes an immediate impact for the Cowboys right now and for the future.
Yes, the Cowboys did that with Carr but
If the Cowboys feel that there weren't any big names this year that can make an impact, then I don't blame them for not being aggressive. But, if we see some big time names that are doing well in their new teams, that makes me wonder what if he was in Dallas.

They just did that yesterday with Thornton. They filled key need that will have an impact this year and beyond he's just 27.

Sydla

Reaction score
Which I have already answered or given my opinion on. Difference between your view and mine is I see Thornton and filling a big hole at an incredible price. We continue to make solid acquisitions like that and we'll be just fine.

To me the 2 most important positions to address are safety and rb and we still have plenty of really good options there with the draft and fa.

Thornton really has limited effect on the pass rush. I like the signing because we needed to upgrade the 1 tech but let's not get crazy here. He's a run stuffing DT who can play some strongside DE in certain situations, he's not a pass rusher. And even if he plays better next to Crawford and Crawford improves, maybe Crawford gets 3-4 more sacks next year. Hardly the improvement we need.

So again, specifically, how do we get better at rushing the passer with what's left? Also note, that as history shows, even top rated pass rushing edge rookies don't have huge impacts immediately. So thinking our pass rush gets solved in the draft might be wishful thinking.

And the options at S in free agency are minimal at this point especially if Weddle is too pricey. Granted, Church hasn't set the bar real high.

So again, what have we done to address our GMs two stated biggest needs? Backup QB and pass rush?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Are we really trying to win now or build for the future? because to me honestly as i sit and really think about where we are and how far we got to go as a team taking personal feeling out of it, so if we are really trying to win now then in my mind we've already created a formula in todays game that worked for us and our team the way it is structured and thats the 2014 formula which is run more keep tony from having to make the plays all the time.. Elliot would seem to be the best bet imo because Elliott can score if he get to the open field which is something i look for now a days considering tony and taken some of the burden off him so much................

imo he can save Romo from himself and maybe he can play a whole 16 games (not banking on it tho).. so to me if we are being honest wouldnt Elliott be the best choice for us in the long run for win now mentality? because to me yea yea i understand u can find a good back in the later rounds but normally they are just that, good nothing special so the way i see it u got Dez here Beasley there whoever on outside hopefully and upgrade more consistent wr and an ELITE Oline with that kid behind it after seeing what he did to Alabama Def, which is the closest thing you'll see on a college level to an NFL Defense, he's rookie of the year in my opinion..........

Whats wrong with having an Elite type back behind this line because a good back is all he's gonna be most likely is just good why not have a potential top tier rb behind this really really good oline im thinking about win now (still got to get a lil better in pass blocking but they r developing) .. Because I'm sorry Bosa at 4 history tells me he's not gonna get sacks like that 1st year hardly any rookie pass rushers come out poppin in the NFL like that ........... so thats my question take feelings and ur pet cat and the # 4 pick out of it because to me ur no longer paying these top 10 picks 50 mill 40 mill contracts...

side note i am a fan of Henry so i wouldnt be to mad if we got Bosa (even tho im not a fan of Bosa) if you can guarantee we will getrb Henry in 2nd or end of round 1 cause i think he would be really good in our system too.... thats the only way id agree with that if we are trying to win now

sorry for the long post when i got to typing so much of my reasons of why i feel like this came out and i wanted to be clear where im coming from as an overall just want to know how do yall feel about it

Really good post. Well thought out. I've been saying get Wentz, get Goff from the get go. Main reason is to get a QB that the front office truly loves and feels can be the future. We rarely ever pick in the top ten, much less inside the top 5. Now is the perfect time to pull the trigger.

Admittedly, I see the other side too. When was the last time we had a Tony Dorsett, or an Emmitt Smith? A runner that could dominate games? In my mind, there are only two bonafied, dynamic, RB's in this draft, Elliott and Derrick Henry, and then there's all the rest. That kid from FSU has a ton of upside too and could be the real deal as well.

So I'm torn. But I would absolutely love to get Elliott, and if not him, grab Henry. Both guys won't last past the 1st round, and you can take that to the bank.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
They just did that yesterday with Thornton. They filled key need that will have an impact this year and beyond he's just 27.

Thornton is a key need in one of our weakest areas and Im happy that we have him. However, we still have needs in secondary, wr, de, and rb.
That is a big gamble if they feel they will improve in those areas from the draft and camp alone.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Not just Hardy. How about a great draft and stealing Collins? I understand the 20 year trust issue. However, we have to look at this from a 5 year perspective. Stephen and Co. had to clean up a messy cap and churn a subpar roster. Take a few minutes and compare Wade's drafts versus Garrett's.
This is a playoff team right now. They just need to add a solid DB and a bell cow and that puts this team over the top. They'll find serviceable edge rushers at a cheaper price.

yeah i guess but they did the clean house because of bad contracts before...i will be rooting but i will be waiting with cautious optimism...as they say proof is in the pudding and red to this point has been no more successful than any of his predecessors imo

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Thornton really has limited effect on the pass rush. I like the signing because we needed to upgrade the 1 tech but let's not get crazy here. He's a run stuffing DT who can play some strongside DE in certain situations, he's not a pass rusher. And even if he plays better next to Crawford and Crawford improves, maybe Crawford gets 3-4 more sacks next year. Hardly the improvement we need.

So again, specifically, how do we get better at rushing the passer with what's left? Also note, that as history shows, even top rated pass rushing edge rookies don't have huge impacts immediately. So thinking our pass rush gets solved in the draft might be wishful thinking.

And the options at S in free agency are minimal at this point especially if Weddle is too pricey. Granted, Church hasn't set the bar real high.

So again, what have we done to address our GMs two stated biggest needs? Backup QB and pass rush?

I didn't know the offseason was over already.

You sound panicked.

I disagree that backup QB is our biggest need. I think the DB and RB positions are.

Sydla

Reaction score
I didn't know the offseason was over already.

You sound panicked.

I disagree that backup QB is our biggest need. I think the DB and RB positions are.

I am not panicked at all.

I am asking legitimate questions. The offseason isn't over but we can all see who is left that hasn't signed and what's available in the draft. It's not like JJ Watt is suddenly going to get cut tomorrow. What's available to us to fix our pass rush, for example, is pretty much known at this point.

You can disagree with backup QB as a need but I am just repeating what our owner said. He was pretty clear that it was unacceptable we couldn't win a game with a backup QB and we needed to upgrade there. He also was clear about the pass rush. Was he lying he when he said that?

So I'll ask again. Who is out there that is the solution or part of the solution to our own GM/owner's stated needs?

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
I am not panicked at all.

I am asking legitimate questions. The offseason isn't over but we can all see who is left that hasn't signed and what's available in the draft. It's not like JJ Watt is suddenly going to get cut tomorrow. What's available to us to fix our pass rush, for example, is pretty much known at this point.

You can disagree with backup QB as a need but I am just repeating what our owner said. He was pretty clear that it was unacceptable we couldn't win a game with a backup QB and we needed to upgrade there. He also was clear about the pass rush. Was he lying he when he said that?

So I'll ask again. Who is out there that is the solution or part of the solution to our own GM/owner's stated needs?

If you believe what any owner or GM says this time of the year that's your choice. I take it like a grain of salt.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you believe what any owner or GM says this time of the year that's your choice. I take it like a grain of salt.

OK, so Jerry was throwing a smokescreen when he said two of our bigger needs were pass rush and backup QB.

Hahahahahaha.

I mean he can't be blowing smoke on the pass rush. You'd have to be completely and utterly blind to not see that one of our bigger needs heading into this offseason, especially if we had no intent of bringing Hardy back, was going to be the pass rush. We had one of the worst ones in the NFL last year.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
OK, so Jerry was throwing a smokescreen when he said two of our bigger needs were pass rush and backup QB.

Hahahahahaha.

I mean he can't be blowing smoke on the pass rush. You'd have to be completely and utterly blind to not see that one of our bigger needs heading into this offseason, especially if we had no intent of bringing Hardy back, was going to be the pass rush. We had one of the worst ones in the NFL last year.

I'm saying I don't overreact to what he says or doesn't say. We all know that the defensive side of the ball is the most critical need for this team. We need to add solid depth to the DL and fix the Safety position. Long, Freeney, Upshaw, ect are all guys that can help this team. They're are options out there I'm one that hopes those options are good ones like the Thornton signing.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm saying I don't overreact to what he says or doesn't say. We all know that the defensive side of the ball is the most critical need for this team. We need to add solid depth to the DL and fix the Safety position. Long, Freeney, Upshaw, ect are all guys that can help this team. They're are options out there I'm one that hopes those options are good ones like the Thornton signing.

Long is on the downslide. He hasn't put up good sack/pressure numbers in 3 years. Depth? Sure. Fix the pass rush? Nah.

Upshaw has 5 sacks in 4 years in the NFL. Depth? Maybe. Fix the pass rush? Nope.

Freeney. Slightly intriguing. 8 sacks last year, can still rush the passer a bit but apparently wants to go back to Arizona.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
It's a pretty bad year for trying to improve your team.

There's basically nothing in free agency and this looks like a fairly week draft class.

That's bad news for a team that went 4-12 last year.

The good news is that we also went 12-4 the year before that.

So the question is, how do we produce the same team (but hopefully slightly better than 2014).

Honestly, that shouldn't be hard to do with the right running back and the team is healthy.

Junglist

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being dramatic, but it seems like we haven't had a good pass rush since we switched to the 4-3, and I definitely don't think we've had a decent one under Marinelli, who somehow has been in the league this long, and still doesn't know what a blitz is.

visionary

Reaction score
Not just Hardy. How about a great draft and stealing Collins? I understand the 20 year trust issue. However, we have to look at this from a 5 year perspective. Stephen and Co. had to clean up a messy cap and churn a subpar roster. Take a few minutes and compare Wade's drafts versus Garrett's.
This is a playoff team right now. They just need to add a solid DB and a bell cow and that puts this team over the top. They'll find serviceable edge rushers at a cheaper price.

Why do we have to look at it from a "5 year perspective"? Who was managing the cap and doing the drafting before that? You guys gave to open your eyes. These sAmerica guys have been making horrible decisions with the draft and FA for 2 decades and suddenly they will change their act?

Even if we take a 5 year look, what have we done in the last 5 years other than build an OL?

Please just stop with the excuses

Sydla

Reaction score

There's basically nothing in free agency and this looks like a fairly week draft class.

So the question is, how do we produce the same team (but hopefully slightly better than 2014).

Honestly, that shouldn't be hard to do with the right running back and the team is healthy

I don't think it's all that simple. I think there was a bit of luck involved in that 2014 season, especially on defense.

They have to find a way to significantly improve the secondary. There is no way this team can think about being a NFC contender trotting out Church and Carr as 2/4s your secondary............. or just as bad, thinknig a guy like Nolan Carroll can lock down one CB spot. So somewhere here, they have to improve the secondary............ some FAs or some in the draft.

And pass rush. You simply cannot make a run in the NFC being in the bottom 8 teams in rushing the passer.

visionary

Reaction score

Honestly, that shouldn't be hard to do with the right running back and the team is healthy.

I'm sorry but that is a crazy attitude

I assure you that there are teams who with acquire FAs that will significantly improve their team THIS YEAR

I assure you that there are teams who will draft players THIS YEAR who will significantly improve their team over the next 3-4 years

We just make poor decisions because the people making those decisions are incompetent

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
Which does nothing for me.

Eagles are going to likely get a good player at 8 now.............. whether it be Stanley or Elliott or Jack.

I can only concern myself with hoping that the Cowboys actually know what they are doing.

I am not a church going man but i think i am attending that week just to get the "BIG MAN" on our side for once!!!!

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
I'm good with that. Because they still don't have their answer at quarterback. They're throwing money at Bradford and Daniel and hoping that one of them can be 'the guy'.

If we can get a quarterback at #4, we'll have our bridge from Romo to the future and will still be much better off than the Eagles.

I still fear JJ announcing MANZIEL!!!!!

ksadler1

Reaction score
Well the talks for Cleveland and Kaep have heated up. So, looks like Cleveland wont need Wentz. This will change our entire strategy IMO

If Cleveland was smart, they'd sign Kap and draft Wentz too.....