CFZ Are we setting up a repeat of the 2010 season?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope I’m dead wrong. Really do. But the early signs for the 2024 season remind me a lot of the scenario we had going into the 2010 season. Not everything is the same. But it’s still worth revisiting to look at the similarities.

First, a little history reminder. Going into 2009, the Cowboys were coming off a disappointing 2008 where they did not even make the playoffs the year after being the #1 seed in 2007.
  • The 2008 season ended with two straight embarrassing losses: the first was the final game at Texas Stadium where we lost to the Ravens (who rushed for 265 yards that day!) 33-24.
  • That embarrassment was followed by the Cowboys worst loss to the eagles in team history in a ”win and you’re in“ game at Philly. We lost 44-6 in what was arguably Tony Romo’s worst game. It was over at halftime.
  • So going into the 2009 season, some were calling for Wade Phillips to be fired.
  • But, In 2009, Wade’s third year, the Cowboys rebounded and won the east and a wild card game. Then they got blown out by the Vikes 34-3 in the divisional round. One of the worst playoff losses in team history (before the packer loss this year!)
So….after the disappointing end to 2009, Jerry was asked if big changes were coming. Would Wade be fired? Was Romo really the guy to take them to the promised land. (Sounds familiar eh?) And, amazingly Jerry not only announced Wade would be back in 2010 but also 2011!
Link: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/1/21/1263611/cowboys-end-of-year-press

So how did the “run it back with Wade” go in to 2010?
  • Well…the Cowboys started 1-4 that season WITH ROMO.,
  • Then Romo broke his collarbone in week 6 vs the giants.
  • On Nov 7th, before a national TV audience, the Cowboys were humiliated vs the packers 45-7, making them 1-7.
  • Jerry fired Wade the next day.
Then Jason Garrett was promoted for what would turn out to be a decade of making the playoffs only 3 times.
God help us if history repeats itself. Hope I’m wrong but this movie is starting to look very familiar.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Then the sham coaching search when we knew Garrett was the HC-in-waiting.

If DQ is back as DC it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s the HC in 2025.

Asklesko

Reaction score
I don't think so. MM will no doubt have a bad year, but he will be the coach for all of it.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I think you might be on to something, I just didn't like how the players failed to show up as a home second seed in a playoff game..McCarthy on the last year of his contract, players family members chirping at other players, Defensive coordinator could be moving on to a head coaching job taking some staff with him, 20 milllion over the cap, a QB that has cointinued to fail in too many big games and is costing 50 million against the cap next year...And it looks like Jerry is running it back once again, I think the window for this team has passed and there could be a huge free fall next season if this team doesn't get off to a good start...

Aven8

Reaction score
I hope I’m dead wrong. Really do. But the early signs for the 2024 season remind me a lot of the scenario we had going into the 2010 season. Not everything is the same. But it’s still worth revisiting to look at the similarities.

First, a little history reminder. Going into 2009, the Cowboys were coming off a disappointing 2008 where they did not even make the playoffs the year after being the #1 seed in 2007.
  • The 2008 season ended with two straight embarrassing losses: the first was the final game at Texas Stadium where we lost to the Ravens (who rushed for 265 yards that day!) 33-24.
  • That embarrassment was followed by the Cowboys worst loss in team history to the eagles in a ”win and you’re in“ game at Philly. We lost 44-6 in what was arguably Tony Romo’s worse game. It was over at halftime.
  • So going into the 2009 season, some were calling for Wade Phillips to be fired.
  • But, In 2009, Wade’s third year, the Cowboys rebounded and won the east and a wild card game. Then they got blown out by the Vikes 34-3 in the divisional round. One of the worst playoff losses in team history (before the packer loss this year!)
So….after the disappointing end to 2009, Jerry was asked if big changes were coming. Would Wade be fired? Was Romo really the guy to take them to the promised land. (Sounds familiar eh?) And, amazingly Jerry not only announced Wade would be back in 2010 but also 2011!
Link: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/1/21/1263611/cowboys-end-of-year-press

• On Nov 7th, before a national TV audience, the Cowboys were humiliated vs the packers 45-7, making them 1-7.
Then Jason Garrett was promoted for what would turn out to be a decade of making the playoffs only 3 times.
God help us if history repeats itself. Hope I’m wrong but this movie is starting to look very familiar.
Thanks Bob for that awful piece of history….JG era….shutters…

To answer your question, I think we will compete again and most likely make the playoffs health permitting. After that, who knows? Mike is a better HC than Wade or JG for sure.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you might be on to something, I just didn't like how the players failed to show up as a home second seed in a playoff game..McCarthy on the last year of his contract, players family members chirping at other players, Defensive coordinator could be moving on to a head coaching job taking some staff with him, 20 milllion over the cap, a QB that has cointinued to fail in too many big games and is costing 50 million against the cap next year...And it looks like Jerry is running it back once again, I think the window for this team has passed and there could be a huge free fall next season if this team doesn't get off to a good start...
Right. Like I said, I hope it doesn’t happen. But our dear leader never seems to learn much.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

• That embarrassment was followed by the Cowboys worst loss in team history to the eagles in a ”win and you’re in“ game at Philly. We lost 44-6 in what was arguably Tony Romo’s worse game. It was over at halftime.

That 2010 squad had a worse roster top to bottom than the Cowboys have now (I would actually argue it was significantly worse than the current roster).

That Cowboys team had not sustained success for three years running like the current team.

I really do not see an imminent 1-7 start / total implosion at hand.

Could Dallas win closer to 10 games instead of the usual 12? Yeah, it's within the realm of possibility, but I don't see a realistic scenario where this team ends up being one of the worst in the league like in 2010.

Man. Those seasons from 08'-13' absolutely sucked. Talk about being stuck in NFL purgatory. 4 out of those 5 years the Cowboys lost a win and you're in, defacto NFC East championship game, each in more insulting fashion than the last to all three of our rivals.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That 2010 squad had a worse roster top to bottom than the Cowboys have now (I would actually argue it was significantly worse than the current roster).

That Cowboys team had not sustained success for three years running like the current team.

I really do not see an imminent 1-7 start / total implosion at hand.

Could Dallas win closer to 10 games instead of the usual 12? Yeah, it's within the realm of possibility, but I don't see a realistic scenario where this team ends up being one of the worst in the league like in 2010.

Man. Those seasons from 08'-13' absolutely sucked. Talk about being stuck in NFL purgatory. 4 out of those 5 years the Cowboys lost a win and you're in, defacto NFC East championship game, each in more insulting fashion than the last to all three of our rivals.
Good post. I agree this team is better than the 2009-10 version. I’m just dubious about the “run it back” philosophy after such an embarrassing playoff loss…again.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I hate to say it, but you possibly could be right. Let’s hope not.

kskboys

Reaction score

Quite possibly. That's what always happens w/ Jerry built teams. They are built on straw, so they're always a wink away from collapse. And now, the OL is falling apart and Jerry is attempting to fix it w/ cheap players. And the D is in desperate need of some DT's.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quite possibly. That's what always happens w/ Jerry built teams. They are built on straw, so they're always a wink away from collapse. And now, the OL is falling apart and Jerry is attempting to fix it w/ cheap players. And the D is in desperate need of some DT's.
And LBs.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's the inevitable cycle. A cycle that has no Championship appearances.
And it's always littered w/ very strange draft picks and a refusal to address areas of weakness. Alan Ball, anyone?

Our OL was falling apart during the 09 season. Sooooooooooooooo, Jerry trades up for Dez and takes a 6th round OT who couldn't stay on his feet.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good post. I agree this team is better than the 2009-10 version. I’m just dubious about the “run it back” philosophy after such an embarrassing playoff loss…again.
I'm right there with you Bob. I absolutely hate that this front office seems poised to run back essentially the same team for a 4th year in a row expecting different results.

I would rather use this season as a get right year, even if that meant being terrible, to get in position to dominate with a retooled roster moving forward. If I was in charge of this thing I would be doing everything I could to amass premium draft picks and dodge paying out prohibitively expensive contracts at the moment.