CFZ Are we setting up a repeat of the 2010 season?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
its not part of the main plan, its not part of the culture.

the only job is make money, everything else comes after.

40 dollars is more important to him than winning the SB
Yes and no.

He wants to win but not enough to get out the way.

And the revenue is initial priority so his involvement and lack of success on the field doesn’t impact revenue forcing him to change his ways.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I hope I’m dead wrong. Really do. But the early signs for the 2024 season remind me a lot of the scenario we had going into the 2010 season. Not everything is the same. But it’s still worth revisiting to look at the similarities.

First, a little history reminder. Going into 2009, the Cowboys were coming off a disappointing 2008 where they did not even make the playoffs the year after being the #1 seed in 2007.
  • The 2008 season ended with two straight embarrassing losses: the first was the final game at Texas Stadium where we lost to the Ravens (who rushed for 265 yards that day!) 33-24.
  • That embarrassment was followed by the Cowboys worst loss in team history to the eagles in a ”win and you’re in“ game at Philly. We lost 44-6 in what was arguably Tony Romo’s worse game. It was over at halftime.
  • So going into the 2009 season, some were calling for Wade Phillips to be fired.
  • But, In 2009, Wade’s third year, the Cowboys rebounded and won the east and a wild card game. Then they got blown out by the Vikes 34-3 in the divisional round. One of the worst playoff losses in team history (before the packer loss this year!)
So….after the disappointing end to 2009, Jerry was asked if big changes were coming. Would Wade be fired? Was Romo really the guy to take them to the promised land. (Sounds familiar eh?) And, amazingly Jerry not only announced Wade would be back in 2010 but also 2011!
Link: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/1/21/1263611/cowboys-end-of-year-press

So how did the “run it back with Wade” go in to 2010?
  • Well…the Cowboys started 1-4 that season WITH ROMO.,
  • Then Romo broke his collarbone in week 6 vs the giants.
  • On Nov 7th, before a national TV audience, the Cowboys were humiliated vs the packers 45-7, making them 1-7.
  • Jerry fired Wade the next day.
Then Jason Garrett was promoted for what would turn out to be a decade of making the playoffs only 3 times.
God help us if history repeats itself. Hope I’m wrong but this movie is starting to look very familiar.
I believe so in spirit, but the difference here is there is no Garrett in the organization right now. Kellen was the guy, but that relationship (thankfully) soured before the endgame could come to fruition. Bill Belichick is still out there. The front office are fools for not having hired him already. If there's a repeat next year, the Cowboys will go into a steep decline and we'll be back in the late 90's, early 00's dark ages unless a miracle happens.

Reaction score
Yes, but Jerry’s version of “accountability“ never includes himself or his giggling son. His version of accountability is always placed on people not making the major decisions. So in essence, we don’t have any true accountability.
Jerry lost me when I saw how he handled firing of Landry. He got on the bad side of Jimmy in a few years, and thought anybody can coach this team. And his stupid son is worse.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
If JJ and SJ were regular NFL executives working for any other NFL franchise, at the very least, their jobs would be on the line; Jerry would have been fired a long time ago. And it would probably change how they do personnel moves.

The reason this is relevant is our two headed front office leaders don’t take the kind of chances that other guys who are on the accountability chopping block must take. So they play it safe because literally nothing is in the line for them. They are going to make billions win or lose and no one can say to them that they are fired for lack of results.

It’s incredibly frustrating watching other teams rebuild, retool, hire better coaches and make structural changes while we watch the Jones boys “run it back” year after year.
To me, Jerry doesn't care one bit about what the fans think. He gets that people will show up regardless of the product he puts out. With Jerry - as with most alphas - he is only concerned about his OWN peace of mind. What he can stomach and live with it. While most of us can't stomach another season of McCarthy/Dak...Jerry can't stomach letting this go and rebuilding without one more shot.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I could see the season going sideways next year. The fans are down and done with Dak, there seems to be some kind of turmoil going on in the locker room, we're going to lose some players, the coaching staff are sitting ducks under Big Mac in the last year of his contract, we're most likely going to have a stout schedule, and the expectations are going to be big.

Yeah, I could totally seeing next season being a dud.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Yes. The locker room appears to be in stage 1 of cancer. They won't be active in free-agency, and we're not getting any help from a bunch of rookies, or pretty much all of last year's draft picks.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
That green bay loss was one of my lowest points. Everyone knew wade was done and it lead to a decade of teh clapper.
I couldn't have been happier. To me, Green Bay is the hard reset on our franchise...every time. I was done with Wade who is so so so similar to McCarthy...meely mouthed introvert with zero leadership persona.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I hope I’m dead wrong. Really do. But the early signs for the 2024 season remind me a lot of the scenario we had going into the 2010 season. Not everything is the same. But it’s still worth revisiting to look at the similarities.

First, a little history reminder. Going into 2009, the Cowboys were coming off a disappointing 2008 where they did not even make the playoffs the year after being the #1 seed in 2007.
  • The 2008 season ended with two straight embarrassing losses: the first was the final game at Texas Stadium where we lost to the Ravens (who rushed for 265 yards that day!) 33-24.
  • That embarrassment was followed by the Cowboys worst loss in team history to the eagles in a ”win and you’re in“ game at Philly. We lost 44-6 in what was arguably Tony Romo’s worse game. It was over at halftime.
  • So going into the 2009 season, some were calling for Wade Phillips to be fired.
  • But, In 2009, Wade’s third year, the Cowboys rebounded and won the east and a wild card game. Then they got blown out by the Vikes 34-3 in the divisional round. One of the worst playoff losses in team history (before the packer loss this year!)
So….after the disappointing end to 2009, Jerry was asked if big changes were coming. Would Wade be fired? Was Romo really the guy to take them to the promised land. (Sounds familiar eh?) And, amazingly Jerry not only announced Wade would be back in 2010 but also 2011!
Link: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/1/21/1263611/cowboys-end-of-year-press

So how did the “run it back with Wade” go in to 2010?
  • Well…the Cowboys started 1-4 that season WITH ROMO.,
  • Then Romo broke his collarbone in week 6 vs the giants.
  • On Nov 7th, before a national TV audience, the Cowboys were humiliated vs the packers 45-7, making them 1-7.
  • Jerry fired Wade the next day.
Then Jason Garrett was promoted for what would turn out to be a decade of making the playoffs only 3 times.
God help us if history repeats itself. Hope I’m wrong but this movie is starting to look very familiar.
The Cowboys find new ways to discourage/disappoint their fans, so anything is possible.

Nexx

Reaction score
well, one difference is that there isn't a Jason G. type on the staff working to sabotage the HC to get a promotion.

None of it really matters as long as Jerry is still around anyway.
are we 100% sure that's not what Quinn tried against the Packers?

calicowboy54

Reaction score
well, one difference is that there isn't a Jason G. type on the staff working to sabotage the HC to get a promotion.

None of it really matters as long as Jerry is still around anyway.
unless Quinn comes back

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If JJ and SJ were regular NFL executives working for any other NFL franchise, at the very least, their jobs would be on the line; Jerry would have been fired a long time ago. And it would probably change how they do personnel moves.

The reason this is relevant is our two headed front office leaders don’t take the kind of chances that other guys who are on the accountability chopping block must take. So they play it safe because literally nothing is in the line for them. They are going to make billions win or lose and no one can say to them that they are fired for lack of results.

It’s incredibly frustrating watching other teams rebuild, retool, hire better coaches and make structural changes while we watch the Jones boys “run it back” year after year.
My imagination doesn’t stretch far enough to allow the thought of another team hiring SJ or Jerry to do anything more than provide comic relief.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you might be on to something, I just didn't like how the players failed to show up as a home second seed in a playoff game..McCarthy on the last year of his contract, players family members chirping at other players, Defensive coordinator could be moving on to a head coaching job taking some staff with him, 20 milllion over the cap, a QB that has cointinued to fail in too many big games and is costing 50 million against the cap next year...And it looks like Jerry is running it back once again, I think the window for this team has passed and there could be a huge free fall next season if this team doesn't get off to a good start...
That reminds me another interesting outcome after this year’s bad playoff loss to the packers. The day afterwards, no Jerry, Stephen or any leading players would talk to the press. With a few exceptions, the players all quickly cleaned out there lockers and skedaddled.

The ONLY players who made themselves available to speak with the press that Monday were Jourdan Lewis, Kevanta Turpin, and TJ Bass. That’s it. Not exactly the team leadership. And for the first time in my long Cowboys memory Jerry Jones said no to the press wanting to talk to him. Just sad.

raven55

Reaction score
no it could be a lot worse. and we could be drafting in the top 5 or 10 get a birds eye look at the schedule

Wolfpack

Reaction score
That reminds me another interesting outcome after this year’s bad playoff loss to the packers. The day afterwards, no Jerry, Stephen or any leading players would talk to the press. With a few exceptions, the players all quickly cleaned out there lockers and skedaddled.

The ONLY players who made themselves available to speak with the press that Monday were Jourdan Lewis, Kevanta Turpin, and TJ Bass. That’s it. Not exactly the team leadership. And for the first time in my long Cowboys memory Jerry Jones said no to the press wanting to talk to him. Just sad.
Accountability lol

kskboys

Reaction score

Real GM's also watch tape of players and analyze scouting reports so they can attempt to find good players. Jerry does not.