CFZ Are we setting up a repeat of the 2010 season?

kskboys

Reaction score
That reminds me another interesting outcome after this year’s bad playoff loss to the packers. The day afterwards, no Jerry, Stephen or any leading players would talk to the press. With a few exceptions, the players all quickly cleaned out there lockers and skedaddled.

The ONLY players who made themselves available to speak with the press that Monday were Jourdan Lewis, Kevanta Turpin, and TJ Bass. That’s it. Not exactly the team leadership. And for the first time in my long Cowboys memory Jerry Jones said no to the press wanting to talk to him. Just sad.
It is beyond sad that Jerry does not know why we lost.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry could sell sand in the desert, used cars on a new car lot. But building a championship level roster is beyond him.
And he doesn’t have to. And really all owners don’t have to. All that’s needed is the pursuit to win. He promotes and hypes that pursuit with the best of them.

Not sure why it’s taken so long for everyone to get it. And some still don’t or are giving him a pass for life with early success with Jimmy and team he built.

Here we are still discussing the same issue decades or years later cause everyone still hadn’t got it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s like some fans keep hoping or expect him to finally get it. And he doesn’t even have to get it.

Just needs the perception he or they might finally get it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You can’t learn if you refuse to live in reality.
Our realities just don’t align with his. Many fans continue to deny what his reality is. Ultimately his reality is our reality unfortunately.

We always have a choice . But this is it for Cowboy fans this era under our ownership. I waved my white flag many years ago.

Like Coach used to say. Just have to enjoy each game on its own merit. For 60 minutes each week we still have the competition to watch rooting our team on.

But as far as aspirations for more is a false hope. Especially with an organization which isn’t making its best effort to reach those goals.

kskboys

Reaction score
And he doesn’t have to. And really all owners don’t have to. All that’s needed is the pursuit to win. He promotes and hypes that pursuit with the best of them.

Not sure why it’s taken so long for everyone to get it. And some still don’t or are giving him a pass for life with early success with Jimmy and team he built.

Here we are still discussing the same issue decades or years later cause everyone still hadn’t got it.
At least no one appears to be believing him anymore. The media has turned on him.

Blackrain

Reaction score
We had a chance to start the rebuild of the OL last draft w/ Ocyrus in the 2nd. And for some reason, we chose instead to take a project at a position of strength. Oh, and BTW, Ocyrus is a complete stud for BUFF.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Whomever was responsible for drafting Schooner, Jaylon, Kelvin, Trysten, Sam Williams, and Randy Gregory should be fired immediately. 2nd round picks are a big part of what forms the core of your team. Continually making odd picks there has got to stop.
I always viewed the second round pick as Jerry's gambling fix always some strange player with an injury or off field problem that had extreme potential but for some reason we wouldn't find it.

That was a tragic error last year taking a tight end instead of that offensive lineman

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I hope I’m dead wrong. Really do. But the early signs for the 2024 season remind me a lot of the scenario we had going into the 2010 season. Not everything is the same. But it’s still worth revisiting to look at the similarities.

First, a little history reminder. Going into 2009, the Cowboys were coming off a disappointing 2008 where they did not even make the playoffs the year after being the #1 seed in 2007.
  • The 2008 season ended with two straight embarrassing losses: the first was the final game at Texas Stadium where we lost to the Ravens (who rushed for 265 yards that day!) 33-24.
  • That embarrassment was followed by the Cowboys worst loss to the eagles in team history in a ”win and you’re in“ game at Philly. We lost 44-6 in what was arguably Tony Romo’s worst game. It was over at halftime.
  • So going into the 2009 season, some were calling for Wade Phillips to be fired.
  • But, In 2009, Wade’s third year, the Cowboys rebounded and won the east and a wild card game. Then they got blown out by the Vikes 34-3 in the divisional round. One of the worst playoff losses in team history (before the packer loss this year!)
So….after the disappointing end to 2009, Jerry was asked if big changes were coming. Would Wade be fired? Was Romo really the guy to take them to the promised land. (Sounds familiar eh?) And, amazingly Jerry not only announced Wade would be back in 2010 but also 2011!
Link: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/1/21/1263611/cowboys-end-of-year-press

So how did the “run it back with Wade” go in to 2010?
  • Well…the Cowboys started 1-4 that season WITH ROMO.,
  • Then Romo broke his collarbone in week 6 vs the giants.
  • On Nov 7th, before a national TV audience, the Cowboys were humiliated vs the packers 45-7, making them 1-7.
  • Jerry fired Wade the next day.
Then Jason Garrett was promoted for what would turn out to be a decade of making the playoffs only 3 times.
God help us if history repeats itself. Hope I’m wrong but this movie is starting to look very familiar.
Only difference is that Jerry can't afford another decade on a Garrett and the 2024 team is already way ahead of the 2010 team in stupid drama off the field.

Otherwise, I agree - this stinks of a potential crash and burn season.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Big Mike should have been fired.

He’s not legit.

He has zero credibility left after that loss.

shabazz

Reaction score
I hope I’m dead wrong. Really do. But the early signs for the 2024 season remind me a lot of the scenario we had going into the 2010 season. Not everything is the same. But it’s still worth revisiting to look at the similarities.

First, a little history reminder. Going into 2009, the Cowboys were coming off a disappointing 2008 where they did not even make the playoffs the year after being the #1 seed in 2007.
  • The 2008 season ended with two straight embarrassing losses: the first was the final game at Texas Stadium where we lost to the Ravens (who rushed for 265 yards that day!) 33-24.
  • That embarrassment was followed by the Cowboys worst loss to the eagles in team history in a ”win and you’re in“ game at Philly. We lost 44-6 in what was arguably Tony Romo’s worst game. It was over at halftime.
  • So going into the 2009 season, some were calling for Wade Phillips to be fired.
  • But, In 2009, Wade’s third year, the Cowboys rebounded and won the east and a wild card game. Then they got blown out by the Vikes 34-3 in the divisional round. One of the worst playoff losses in team history (before the packer loss this year!)
So….after the disappointing end to 2009, Jerry was asked if big changes were coming. Would Wade be fired? Was Romo really the guy to take them to the promised land. (Sounds familiar eh?) And, amazingly Jerry not only announced Wade would be back in 2010 but also 2011!
Link: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/1/21/1263611/cowboys-end-of-year-press

• On Nov 7th, before a national TV audience, the Cowboys were humiliated vs the packers 45-7, making them 1-7.
Then Jason Garrett was promoted for what would turn out to be a decade of making the playoffs only 3 times.
God help us if history repeats itself. Hope I’m wrong but this movie is starting to look very familiar.
Excellent write up. I can only add that I hope we not only get a harder schedule , but that we get the stronger opponents early.

Facing all those weak team early gave Jerry that false confidence that he had a Championship caliber team.

We all win either way it goes. If we DO beat the best teams early we see real evidence but if we get blown out even Jerry will be embarrassed enough to consider real changes

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can only add that I hope we not only get a harder schedule , but that we get the stronger opponents early.
The schedule will be harder. Just look at the QB's we face next year compared to this year. And I totally agree with you on playing stronger teams earlier in the season. After the SF game the Cowboys were on cruise control beating weaklings this year and got full of themselves.

kskboys

Reaction score
I always viewed the second round pick as Jerry's gambling fix always some strange player with an injury or off field problem that had extreme potential but for some reason we wouldn't find it.

That was a tragic error last year taking a tight end instead of that offensive lineman
Horrific decision. Wish we knew who was responsible, and who approved of it.

MarkP88

Reaction score
The schedule will be harder. Just look at the QB's we face next year compared to this year. And I totally agree with you on playing stronger teams earlier in the season. After the SF game the Cowboys were on cruise control beating weaklings this year and got full of themselves.
And we should count on Washington and NY being better next year. Even if we manage to sweep them again, those games are unlikely to be gimmes like this year.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

Probably, but I'm not going to let it upset me. If I got all emotional about this team's disappointing performances, I would go mad.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will gets credit for all of the good drafts from fans , why doesn’t he receive blame for the poor ones or misses which there have been several.
It’s a fair question Greggo. But Will doesn’t pick players. He gives the Jones multiple players to choose from. So while I think it’s fair to ask if McClay deserves some criticism, its hard to hold him completely accountable since he doesn’t make the selection.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s a fair question Greggo. But Will doesn’t pick players. He gives the Jones multiple players to choose from. So while I think it’s fair to ask if McClay deserves some criticism, it’s hard to hold him completely accountable since he doesn’t make the selection.
I know . But If he doesn’t actually get the credit for the selections then why is he mostly credited for the good drafts but not the bad ones?

Perhaps Will receives too many accolades for the talent we’ve accumulated and not enough accountability for the misses .

And if Jethro & Son are blamed for poor selections they must be credited for the good ones.

It must go both ways and too often in this forum it hasn’t is all I’m saying.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know . But If he doesn’t actually get the credit for the selections then why is he mostly credited for the good drafts but not the bad ones?

Perhaps Will receives too many accolades for the talent we’ve accumulated and not enough accountability for the misses .

And if Jethro & Son are blamed for poor selections they must be credited for the good ones.

It must go both ways and too often in this forum it hasn’t is all I’m saying.
But how can you hold someone accountable for something they didn’t do?

McClay scouts and recommends. He doesn’t pick players. What I’ve read is he presents JJ with extensive scouting profiles, player rankings, and round projections. But he does not select the player.

Yes McClay is a big part of the front office and plays a big role in the drafting of players. But he is not drafting anyone. Blaming McClay for draft picks he doesn’t make just doesn’t make sense to me.