CFZ Are we setting up a repeat of the 2010 season?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but you possibly could be right. Let’s hope not.
I still think there really is too much very strong talent and a fist full of very good youth that should ease cap burdens as well as being valid contributors. I think as a team, following free agency and the draft the Cowboys as a team will be even better than this season.

I hope the Eagles suck up to Moore, but, this 2024 schedule is the brutal part.

Correction, Moore is the Eagles' OC and signed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But how can you hold someone accountable for something they didn’t do?

McClay scouts and recommends. He doesn’t pick players. What I’ve read is he presents JJ with extensive scouting profiles, player rankings, and round projections. But he does not select the player.

Yes McClay is a big part of the front office and plays a big role in the drafting of players. But he is not drafting anyone. Blaming McClay for draft picks he doesn’t make just doesn’t make sense to me.
I understand . And I’m not saying you do this but I’ve seen all too often fans on this site crediting Will for the talent we have while not holding him accountable for the misses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I asked that the other day. Is Will responsible for the horrific picks in the 2nd round or not?
As I responded to @Bobhaze , I don’t believe he is.

But he is often credited for the talent we have drafted by fans and our drafts overall, so if he’s inputting on our good picks surely he’s inputting on our bad ones as well.

We can’t give Will credit for our better draft picks and blame Jethro and Son for the bad ones. That’s all I’m saying.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Bobhaze pretty much summarized my fears going into next season. For cap reasons, I don't see the Cowboys going all aggressive in free agency. Also I don't see the defense getting fixed right away, especially if Quinn leaves and the team has to break in a new DC and staff. That schedule looks brutal as well. You'll know soon enough in September because it would only take a few games for the team to quit on MM. Can totally see it happening.

links18

Reaction score
No, we dodged the rookie FB gets our starting QB broken scenario this season.

jgboys1

Reaction score
I believe you are definitely onto something. I am in the, blow it all up and start over camp. I think this team has ran its course. 12-5 for next season is a pipe dream. I think next year starts a slow steady decline of this current Cowboys team over the next few seasons.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm hoping they lose the first few games so the players family can start ranting about Dak stinking. And I hope it spirals out of control.
The "problem" has come home for Jerry.
This team has given up on our QB no matter how big the contracts they receive this offseason.
The coming season's success or not will depend if the nameless one is still QB1
Our squad played for Rush and they will play for Trey as they do NOT have Massive paychecks.
Yes, the $$$$ count esp when the effort is mediocre at best.
We await Jerry's decision.......and trust me so do players.

kskboys

Reaction score
As I responded to @Bobhaze , I don’t believe he is.

But he is often credited for the talent we have drafted by fans and our drafts overall, so if he’s inputting on our good picks surely he’s inputting on our bad ones as well.

We can’t give Will credit for our better draft picks and blame Jethro and Son for the bad ones. That’s all I’m saying.
I know picks in rounds 4-7 are dart throws, but honestly, who have we hit on there? Pollard? There's one. Bland and Wilson.

Now, let's turn it around. If Will is such a draft guru, then why do we have no LB's and weak DT's? Other teams find them in the mid/late rounds, why can't we even find one? Last time I remember finding a quality DT in the mid/late rounds was Ratliff, found by Tuna.

kskboys

Reaction score
I believe you are definitely onto something. I am in the, blow it all up and start over camp. I think this team has ran its course. 12-5 for next season is a pipe dream. I think next year starts a slow steady decline of this current Cowboys team over the next few seasons.
W/ our aging OL w/ poor stopgaps coming in, don't see how it keeps up. That's why I see this as a parallel to 2010, the OL is falling apart w/ age and Jerry hasn't filled the gaps.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know picks in rounds 4-7 are dart throws, but honestly, who have we hit on there? Pollard? There's one. Bland and Wilson.

Now, let's turn it around. If Will is such a draft guru, then why do we have no LB's and weak DT's? Other teams find them in the mid/late rounds, why can't we even find one? Last time I remember finding a quality DT in the mid/late rounds was Ratliff, found by Tuna.
Right..

Hitting on early picks is a must. It’s those later round finds which often fill out teams throughout the roster.

But we’ve missed in too many early round picks along with risks taken and questionable priorities all which cumulatively define our lack of talent and weaknesses in certain areas.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes McClay has obviously had failings. No one in our FO is spotless. My earlier point was simply that McClay isn’t the guy making the final decisions on who to draft.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes McClay has obviously had failings. No one in our FO is spotless. My earlier point was simply that McCkay isn’t the guy making the final decisions on who to draft.
I agree.

And he shouldn’t be receiving the credit for our better drafts. Which many have attempted to do. The credit and blame rest with Jethro & Son.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s going to be hard recover from the humiliating playoff loss. It could lead to a hangover next season. It’s looking like another tough schedule in 2024 so we could be headed for a down season. Fans are going to have a tough time getting excited about regular season wins. Two 9-8 teams went further in the playoffs than we did.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't think so. MM will no doubt have a bad year, but he will be the coach for all of it.
No doubt!??

really no doubt at all??? that's what you're saying nostradamus ??you think because he's a lame duck coach somehow the Cowboys are gonna have a bad year you know they've been saying that for three years now been waiting for that eight win season but you just keep saying it until it's true somehow you think that's different than playing like crap we just put your money in chips on every single color and every single number until you're right one time??!!

I'm glad a lot of you just keep wishing the Cowboys are gonna do poorly until it actually happens I mean what kind of fans are you no doubt he's going to have a bad year?

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s going to be hard recover from the humiliating playoff loss. It could lead to a hangover next season. It’s looking like another tough schedule in 2024 so we could be headed for a down season. Fans are going to have a tough time getting excited about regular season wins. Two 9-8 teams went further in the playoffs than we did.
How does fans excitement or lack thereof have anything to do with how the record is gonna be?

I mean it seems like you guys are tying in something that happened in the playoffs to something that's going to happen in the regular season...

forgetting this has been a week to week league and a year to year league for a very long time... nothing had happened in the last game is going to carry over unless the coaches the players in the front office allow it to...

all we gotta do is fill some holes, devise some game plans, and go win some games... there's nothing to do with embarrassment or hangovers... I don't believe in any of that crap just like everyone thought when Jimmy was gonna put in a Ring of Honor there was some kind of curse that was going to be lifted we'll have that work out??

So as much as the OP wants to make a big deal out of something that happened more than a decade ago and trying to correlate it to now it's about as ridiculous as the other things going on in this place sure a broken clock is right twice a day and it could happen we could have a bad year but I heard that in 2021 as well they said we had an historically bad offseason and with Prescott coming off of broken leg the way they played in 2020 that this was gonna be a bad year and I keep hearing that every year and I guess eventually one of you all will be right....

jsb357

Reaction score
I hope I’m dead wrong.

Then Jason Garrett was promoted for what would turn out to be a decade of making the playoffs only 3 times.
God help us if history repeats itself. Hope I’m wrong but this movie is starting to look very familiar.