Are we too hard on Taco?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
So if he had beat out tank or Gregory, that would make one of them the bust? A first rounder doesn't beat out two other first round talents therefore he is useless

We have him for up to three more years on his rookie deal. My money is on taco stepping up. I don't know to what level, but I dont think he is a bust

MaaS

Reaction score
Considering quite a few fans have completely written him off as trash, yeah, I'd say we're too hard on him.

He's definitely been disappointing, but he's not a lost cause. Still has a chance to be a good player.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
He's a first round pick that was actually so inconsequential he got deactivated for games in his 2nd season. I don't think the problems are the high expectations of fans as to why he gets criticized. It's the fact that he's done pretty much zero in two seasons as Dallas.

It's not too much to expect more than that out of your first round pick, is it?

Expecting a lot out of a first round pick is fine.

I guess my point is really that fans seem to get angry at players when they’re busts, especially 1st rounders, hurl insults at them, etc. I don’t understand that aspect. If anything, I’d be more angry at the team for drafting a bust than the player himself.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how much that shoulder affected him last year. I remember glowing reports out of training camp how he looked bigger, stronger, and maybe even quicker than he did as a rookie in 2017.

It's not too late for Taco to turn it around. But I think his ceiling is as a solid, steady base-DE type like Greg Ellis was here for a long time. If we wait for Charlton to become a 12-15 sack a season type guy than I think we'll be waiting forever. He's a run-stopping type that gets 5-8 sacks per year.

Now, the debate is if a guy like that was worth a late first round pick. But hindsight is 20-20.

Sydla

Reaction score
So if he had beat out tank or Gregory, that would make one of them the bust? A first rounder doesn't beat out two other first round talents therefore he is useless

We have him for up to three more years on his rookie deal. My money is on taco stepping up. I don't know to what level, but I dont think he is a bust

This is wrong.

Taco was given the chance to win the DE spot opposite Lawrence in camp. He couldn't do it. He wasn't "blocked" by Gregory at the start of the year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One thing truly concerns me .......it doesn't appear he has the thickest skin I've seen in a player. It's a hard game.....thin-skinned players generally don't last long.

Besides just not being that great, Claiborne's attitude held him back for years. Bennett wasn't all he could have been with us either (I don't think that was all his fault).

Rico spent years dreaming of being Lynn Swann instead of learning how to block.

Attitude and coaching matter.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Nope. He has been a huge disappointment from lack of production and attitude. Not to mention the incredibly idiotic Hot Boyz moniker.

In the end....this could be his undoing. He better come up w/ something new for 2019. :flagwave:

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
Seems to be active on social media. Loves reading the comments too apparently.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Is it just me, or did he totally punk himself by tweeting a video of his highlights, which contains nothing..

Maybe it’s the forum, but that’s hilarious..

Taco sucks..

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
To me, this dude's name should be "Talk-o Charlatan", because that's who he is up until this point.

I'll get back to calling him "Taco Charlton" when he shows me something.

coult44

Reaction score
I definitely think most fans are too hard on him.

Fans have ridiculous expectations for most prospects. And regarding Taco, fans seem to have this bitter sense of dislike towards him for no apparent reason. I don’t get it.

He's a first round pick and has not showed much at all. He's had plenty of time to at least start turning the corner and he really hasn't. This is a make it break it year for him, so he should play better if he has anything at all. Again, he's a first round pick who hasn't played well enough to get PT, that's bad.

CWR

Reaction score
Just shut up and play Taco. Nobody wants to hear his BS, time to be about it. Thats the only way he will silence his critics. He got the benefit of the doubt his rookie year, those days are over.

CWR

Reaction score
I definitely think most fans are too hard on him.

Fans have ridiculous expectations for most prospects. And regarding Taco, fans seem to have this bitter sense of dislike towards him for no apparent reason. I don’t get it.

Wasn't he deactivated because of his sorry attitude? I mean we invested in this guy, fans are expecting him to step up not be taken off the game day roster.

Mr_437

Reaction score
No. Personally, I don't think about Taco until the QB has all day to throw and I check to see who's in the game.

Why talk if you not producing, nobody cares. Just play well and everything will work out... twitting ain't gonna help nothing on the football field.

king987

Reaction score
It really goes both ways. It sure does seem that some fans hated the Taco pick so much that they want him to fail just so they can say that they were right. I thought it was a reach in the 1st round and was confused why they took him over other particular player still available. But I do hope that Taco eventually begins to progress.

That said, Taco hasn't helped his case up to now. Give the kid three seasons before we officially call him a bust. I'll admit the stink is there, but let's give it one more season. The way things look at D-Line right now, he's going to have the opportunity to prove the doubters wrong.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I mean are his struggles more attitude or lack of talent. Is it not a bit premature label him a bust?

Yes.

No one was proclaiming the greatness of Lawrence or Gregory after their second season, but they got better. There's time for Taco to do the same. Whether or not he will remains to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

RS12

Reaction score
Parcels school of thought was in year 3 you are what you are. Also said you make the biggest improvement between year 1 and 2. He didnt.

jjktkk

Reaction score
He's not TJ Watt or Reuben Foster.
Thats the main reason I'm hard on Taco.
I'm actually really glad he's not Reuben Foster since Foster was arrested for domestic violence and released by the 49ers. He's out of the league now.