Are we using Zeke unwisely?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We're 3-3 and should be worrying about winning games, what would we be saving Zeke for exactly?
Maybe we should save him for that last game of the season when we're 8-7 to go 9-7 just to say we had a winning season.
I really didn't say save Zeke.

That's how you took it.

But that's fine.

My point is that this staff, in my opinion..does not handle its injury situations well.

We always have conflicting reports about what is going on with injuries.

Take Tavon Austin's injury.

Confusing.

They want to IR him and he wants a second opinion.

I do not trust this staff to tell you the truth.

Last year it was Rico Gathers.

He got a brain concuss and he was out for the year.

Really?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I really didn't say save Zeke.

That's how you took it.

But that's fine.

My point is that this staff, in my opinion..does not handle its injury situations well.

We always have conflicting reports about what is going on with injuries.

Take Tavon Austin's injury.

Confusing.

They want to IR him and he wants a second opinion.

I do not trust this staff to tell you the truth.

Last year it was Rico Gathers.

He got a brain concuss and he was out for the year.

Really?
The Rico situation was strategic. They knew he wasn't ready to play and instead of saving a spot for him, they could IR him, save the roster spot and still give him time to develop. They did not say they want to IR Tavon, they said they would wait for the results before any determination was made. Yes Tavon is getting a second opinion, which is also very common, deciding the best course of action, such as rest and rehab versus surgery, effectiveness of treatment and timeline. Fredbeard got a second opinion and fortunate that he did. Tyron did as well concerning his back. Whatever conflicting reports usually come from "Dr." Jerry who is always about PR and not from the medical staff themselves.

It's not unusual for teams to be vague publicly about injuries, the Dolphins are currently being investigated by the league about their reporting about Tannehill's injury. I believe the Steelers got fined a season or two back about their injury reporting. Even the best doctors can't always predict how long or how well a player will recover from an injury, look at Andrew Luck or Jaylon. Players themselves aren't always honest about the extent of their injuries, that's one of the reasons for the concussion protocol now used. I remember the medical staff having to take Witten's helmet away during a game to be evaluated because he was trying to get back in the game.

As far as Zeke, when we has under 20 touches, people start threads that we're under using him, when he gets 25 touches, people start threads saying we're over using him. He says he's a little banged up and people go straight to panic, like we're forcing him to play with a torn ACL. Zeke's overall usage is a little under from previous years from what I have read so far. Some games he will get more and some games he will get less, depending on the game flow. Frankly, I'm a little surprised they haven't been getting more touches, especially with our lack of playmakers. It's a good thing they haven't, but we're also not in the position to "save" him for later, if they want to make the playoffs. Forums always overanalyze every play, every movement, every word and can make mountains out of the smallest molehills or make a molehill seem like a mountain.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We're 3-3 and should be worrying about winning games, what would we be saving Zeke for exactly?
Maybe we should save him for that last game of the season when we're 8-7 to go 9-7 just to say we had a winning season.
We saved Zeke the last 1.5 games of the 2016 season and then rarely used him on short yardage or red zone plays against GB. The brilliance of our coaching staff on full display.

If we saved Zeke the coaches wouldn’t know how to take advantage of it anyway.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The Rico situation was strategic. They knew he wasn't ready to play and instead of saving a spot for him, they could IR him, save the roster spot and still give him time to develop. They did not say they want to IR Tavon, they said they would wait for the results before any determination was made. Yes Tavon is getting a second opinion, which is also very common, deciding the best course of action, such as rest and rehab versus surgery, effectiveness of treatment and timeline. Fredbeard got a second opinion and fortunate that he did. Tyron did as well concerning his back. Whatever conflicting reports usually come from "Dr." Jerry who is always about PR and not from the medical staff themselves.

It's not unusual for teams to be vague publicly about injuries, the Dolphins are currently being investigated by the league about their reporting about Tannehill's injury. I believe the Steelers got fined a season or two back about their injury reporting. Even the best doctors can't always predict how long or how well a player will recover from an injury, look at Andrew Luck or Jaylon. Players themselves aren't always honest about the extent of their injuries, that's one of the reasons for the concussion protocol now used. I remember the medical staff having to take Witten's helmet away during a game to be evaluated because he was trying to get back in the game.

As far as Zeke, when we has under 20 touches, people start threads that we're under using him, when he gets 25 touches, people start threads saying we're over using him. He says he's a little banged up and people go straight to panic, like we're forcing him to play with a torn ACL. Zeke's overall usage is a little under from previous years from what I have read so far. Some games he will get more and some games he will get less, depending on the game flow. Frankly, I'm a little surprised they haven't been getting more touches, especially with our lack of playmakers. It's a good thing they haven't, but we're also not in the position to "save" him for later, if they want to make the playoffs. Forums always overanalyze every play, every movement, every word and can make mountains out of the smallest molehills or make a molehill seem like a mountain.
Well said.

I am not trying to play prognosticator.

I am merely suggestion are we using caution enough to get to where we ultimately want to go and with whom.

People like to pick a point and pound it.

Not doing that.

I merely suggest this team often does not get it right with injured players and suddenly..

they are disabled and missing from action and we as fans shake our heads.

As far as Rico is concerned..

he's an enigma wrapped in a question mark.

Personally..

becuz of what was happening with Witten suddenly leaving,

it would have been way better for us if he had played more if possible so he would be better fitting in as Witten's replacement.

I strongly feel he is a weapon that can be used better and the heck with his lack of blocking ability.

He should have been developed more strenuously.

Jarwin is a JAG..so is Swaim.

We have not even seen much of our rookie TE as well.

These are my points for discussion more or less.

And its all just opinions here.

Thanx for your post.

Nice.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We saved Zeke the last 1.5 games of the 2016 season and then rarely used him on short yardage or red zone plays against GB. The brilliance of our coaching staff on full display.

This.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
of course we are wasting zeke.
is this team going to beat the rams
i dont think so - so why push any player when they r injured.
This.

is this team going to beat the rams

Hmmm..

if Zeke isn't in the repair shop by then with our defense playing this well..

yes.

Sydla

Reaction score
yes, or maybe sign one a few years into the NFL with a failed rookie contract - if Zeke goes down, that's nearly as bad Tyrone ... one deep at any spot is a bad idea

if you're gonna run the ball - run it

the best football team I ever saw were the '71 Cowboys - Garrison, Hill, Thomas
most people were stunned Hill was drafted while they had Garrison, a year later they drafted Thomas ... they racked up 251 SB rushing yards to win it all
they also had the best D in the Landry era, the only SB team to not allow a TD

by the way, that was a play action deep offense with debatable young mobile QB and a wildly underrated D,
coached by a man who hadn't got it done in 10 years and considered not fiery enough by many.

by mid-season they had managed a 4 -3 record, then the supposedly conservative coach gave his young QB freedom to run around and make plays
they won out :)

hey, it could happen ... and yeah, I want another RB -, fantasy football stats for one guy ain't the prize

I can get behind maybe bringing in a good, vet TB. But if we used a premium pick like a 1 or 2 to play backup to Elliott............ that would be insane.

Unless you do it in Zeke's last contract year because you have no intent of signing him to a bloated contract extension.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
His job is to run the ball. He wasn't drafted 4th overall to be put on a shelf.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He is a beast.

He hasn't shown any wear or tear.

Any wear and tear?

I guess you are editing out in your mind his limps and even him saying he does not want to highlite it as the opposition will take notice and make him pay more.

So even he knows how it works and I do too.

I do not want another Emmitt Smith injured shoulder thing and Zeke has to play thru it.

Thanx for the post.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
His job is to run the ball. He wasn't drafted 4th overall to be put on a shelf.

He wasn't drafted 4th overall to be put on a shelf

Understood.

And I do not want to see him like a '57 Chevy with its parts falling off going down the road.

There..

found a catch phrase like "put on a shelf" such as you used.

Those are handy, huh?

Thanx for the reply.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I can get behind maybe bringing in a good, vet TB. But if we used a premium pick like a 1 or 2 to play backup to Elliott............ that would be insane.

Unless you do it in Zeke's last contract year because you have no intent of signing him to a bloated contract extension.

I can get behind maybe bringing in a good, vet TB.

This.

I was hoping Bo Scarborough was going to be used like that.

But he's gone now.

Number1

Reaction score
I can get behind maybe bringing in a good, vet TB. But if we used a premium pick like a 1 or 2 to play backup to Elliott............ that would be insane..

that's what they told Landry

Batman1980

Reaction score
Zeke needs to have the ball in his hands 30+ times a game. Period. If I were the OC, he'd be carrying it 30+ times a game and catching it at least 5.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm sure he has aches and pains most players do. I have no doubt he has been checked by medical staff and deemed good to go. Simple fact is players from High School on understand you will have to play with a certain amount of pain. As they say there is a difference between injured and hurt.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I'm sure he has aches and pains most players do. I have no doubt he has been checked by medical staff and deemed good to go. Simple fact is players from High School on understand you will have to play with a certain amount of pain. As they say there is a difference between injured and hurt.

There's a difference between aches and pain. All athletes know pain is bad because it means you're probably injured.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There's a difference between aches and pain. All athletes know pain is bad because it means you're probably injured.

No pain is good but you do not play this game without sprains, bumps and bruises it is part of the deal and everyone knows it. Hell High School kids know it. Is Dallas using him the right way? Yeah he is the running back and they feed him the ball that is his job. Clearly if he has an injury he can't go but taking a hit and feeling it you know as a player you still have a job to do. Many guys play in games that would keep many people home from work, it come with the job.

Hardline

Reaction score
wow, "pound him" ... the unmitigated ignorance

20 NFL carries a game is as hard a work load as I can imagine.

Mix it up - draft another top back and split carries, get Austin or Smith more carries in the meantime
You must have not been around during the Emmitt Smith years.