Are we using Zeke unwisely?

Number1

Reaction score
You must have not been around during the Emmitt Smith years.

they should have done the same for Emmitt

look, I ain't after fantasy football stats for one guy ... this is Dallas, if we're not building a dynasty we're not on task

yes, I would add another top tier back, and yes a R1 pick for the right RB
prob more like a R2 or young FA

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I ask the question becuz he has suffered 2 injuries so far in the first 5 games.

His ankle and his knee.

We have seen him limping and it's foreboding.

I know nobody wants to discuss injuries becuz it is considered a jinx.

But I am really concerned.

If he goes down..

Our season is over.

When Alfred Morris was signed before Zeke was drafted..

We were told he would spell Zeke to keep him fresh.

Never happened.

Before that..Darren McFadden was to split time with Morris.

Never happened.

I do not get it.

We let DeMarco Murray in 2014 run exclusively and he had a great season..

but he was never the same again and retired from football this pre-season.

What better example will we have about what happens to a great player..

who is reduced to pedestrian levels through poor management.

Smith is not a substitute at the position should something happen.

And the WR issues further place the burden on Zeke to have to prop up the passing game as well as the running game.

DAK can't carry the team..

last year and this has proven that.

Are these coaches so deparate for their jobs they can't see this.?

I know Zeke says feed me, but that is just a trademark of his.

How are you guys with this development?
The Cowboys have a great oline for run blocking but their 1 Back formation spells alot of their plays which leads to bigger hits on the Rb. We saw this with Demarco Murray also and he was always banged up.

There's not enough player involvement in the backfield to mask the playcalling and it's just too one dimensional not to put 2 complete rbs on the field and pass the ball at times when your running rpos and have a durable mobile Qb .

Dak needs more options for checkdowns and screens than Swaim . Someone who can actually score. Were having to get maximum yard levels running and passing out of Zeke and Dak to win these 3 games but they won't be able to sustain these levels and we need another scoring threat out the backfield to help increase our production more in our passing game.

Give us a little rod Smith and Zeke or the fb and Zeke but we need more run and passes that develop behind our run blocking than just Zeke and Swaim. Somebody who can actually increase our yards and scoring production and not just another designated blocker.

If the cowboys had Bo Jackson and Zeke theyed still rotate them in a 1 back formation with no integration of a triple threat Rpo backfield .

More Scoring threats have to touch the ball in order to score and Zeke and Dak are MAXED OUT and someone has to emerge as a scoring threat besides Dak Beasely and Zeke this week in order for us to win. Beasely isn't going to score twice a week

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The Cowboys have a great oline for run blocking but their 1 Back formation spells alot of their plays which leads to bigger hits on the Rb. We saw this with Demarco Murray also and he was always banged up.

There's not enough player involvement in the backfield to mask the playcalling and it's just too one dimensional not to put 2 complete rbs on the field and pass the ball at times when your running rpos and have a durable mobile Qb .

Dak needs more options for checkdowns and screens than Swaim . Someone who can actually score. Were having to get maximum yard levels running and passing out of Zeke and Dak to win these 3 games but they won't be able to sustain these levels and we need another scoring threat out the backfield to help increase our production more in our passing game.

Give us a little rod Smith and Zeke or the fb and Zeke but we need more run and passes that develop behind our run blocking than just Zeke and Swaim. Somebody who can actually increase our yards and scoring production and not just another designated blocker.

If the cowboys had Bo Jackson and Zeke theyed still rotate them in a 1 back formation with no integration of a triple threat Rpo backfield .

More Scoring threats have to touch the ball in order to score and Zeke and Dak are MAXED OUT and someone has to emerge as a scoring threat besides Dak Beasely and Zeke this week in order for us to win. Beasely isn't going to score twice a week
Winner.

We have a winner.

Stop posting guys.

Finally somebody agrees with me.

I think.

Finally.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to post threads that border on insanity?

You are looking at one now.

I am surprised the Forum has not ex-communicated me yet.

And believe me they have tried.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

We had a player that could have been used that way in Tavon, our "web back". He's not a true RB, but could have been lined up in the backfield more often with Zeke. He's a threat on any sweep, pitch, or even draw plays, screen or short flat routes and all types of misdirection and counters could have been used to stretch defenses side to side to open up the middle. Integrating Zeke better in the passing game is also a way to limit the pounding he takes. The Saints are a good example, they use a lot of short passes to their RBs that are effectively, long hand offs. Gurley's usage, particularly last year is another. The RB is more often matched 1on 1 in passes and not crashing into multiple 300lb DL every play. It's another way to manage the type touches he gets, he still gets the touches, but not as punishing.

cern

Reaction score
the coaches appear to be making a concerted effort to get him the ball in space more. prudent move. they should get better at it as time goes on.

Mr_437

Reaction score
No problem with usage, I just would like to see Zeke out in space more to see how much damage he can do.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
wow, "pound him" ... the unmitigated ignorance

20 NFL carries a game is as hard a work load as I can imagine.

Mix it up - draft another top back and split carries, get Austin or Smith more carries in the meantime

How do you throw out language like “unmitigated ignorance” without them giving any kind of argument for why “pound him” is bad strategy?

As an aside, you appear to lack imagination: 400 carries a year is not unheard of (though it may be ill-advised). That’s 25 carries a game.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
What does the OP mean, Morris never spelled Zeke? Morris came in every 3rd series or after Zeke had a few carries in a row, or a long run.

Morris was never here to spell McFadden. Zeke was the starter the entire time Morris was here, except the 6 games, and then Morris was the starter. The only exception may be that last game in 2016.