Are you excited for the 2014 season? If so, why?

dcstands4

Reaction score
Its the same every year for me. Tony Romo. This will be a very interesting year for him coming off back surgery.

Is this the year that everybody WON'T be talking about the Dallas Cowboys? If so, that's a really good thing.
I'm always excited for the season and will be more so after the draft. I know we're all pissed because of the way the season ended but that will change come September

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I dont know why everybody thinks when we fail next year jg is gone. When we miss the playoffs next year and take 3rd in the nfce I bet hes here the season after with a new contract.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
No. As of right now, 2014 has 6-10 written all over it. We are as far away from Super Bowl contending status as we've been since the Dave Campo years.

To me..

it screams rebuilding and dumping cap over the next two years..

..meaning this new coaching staff we just had done..

..is going to get at least 2 more seasons to see how much can improve in that time.

Garrett is going to get a lot of good coaching to help him the next two years.

We'll see after that.

And yes, Romo is a Catch 22 for us and its going to be tricky how its handled if Romo cant make it back as expected.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'll be excited for football in general come August. Dallas isnt going to get anywhere near the superbowl in the next 5 years so its just football.

Unfortunately ….

to me..

we need to actually drop back and take a couple of 5-11 seasons..

so we can get some top picks in the coming drafts and get better quicker.

This just being 8-8 three years in a row is killing us.

JBS

Reaction score
The last few years for this franchise, the draft had been the most exciting part of the season. So, get excited, its draft season

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ex·cite·ment noun
: a feeling of eager enthusiasm and interest : the state of being excited
Antonyms: apathy, indifference

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/excitement

I have always been excited about watching the Dallas Cowboys. It is invigorating each game the team wins and depressing each game the team loses. These are emotions felt after each game has been played, but not before. Maybe it is the anticipation of waiting to see the end result of each game that excites me.

Everyone's different to some degree. I wonder why anyone would watch any game feeling apathetic or indifferent about its outcome prior to it being played though? Why not watch another game which would excite instead? Is that not the reason why we play or watch sports? To be excited by participating or watching it unfold? Or are apathy and indifference self-fulfilling qualities?

MrPhil

Reaction score
It has been the same for me for years now. I look forward to the season but, the excitement is long gone. I don't see that changing until something significant changes with how the Cowboys are run. Yes, Jerry, I am talking to you. The buck stops with you. No other GM on this planet would still have a job with a track record like yours. Love you as an owner but, words cannot describe the level of suck you have achieved as GM.

Wood

Reaction score
Its the same every year for me. Tony Romo. This will be a very interesting year for him coming off back surgery.

Is this the year that everybody WON'T be talking about the Dallas Cowboys? If so, that's a really good thing.

Its a 4-12 year if Romo back gives Dallas any trouble at all. If he stays healthy I think Dallas can squeeze out a 9-7 team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I dont know why everybody thinks when we fail next year jg is gone. When we miss the playoffs next year and take 3rd in the nfce I bet hes here the season after with a new contract.

Garrett will be here as long as the team is competitive and has a chance to make the playoffs entering week 17. That's the only selling point Jerry has had to keep him the past 3 seasons. Jerry is looking at all the close games the Cowboys lost last season including three 1 point losses to the Chiefs, Lions and Packers. Those close losses along with the other blown second half leads to Denver and San Diego give Jerry all the ammo he needs to make an argument to keep Garrett. The historically bad defense that cost the Cowboys a huge lead vs Green Bay and gave up over 300 receiving yards to Calvin Johnson, over 600 total yards twice and an NFL record 40 first downs to NO gives Jerry plenty of firepower to justify hanging onto Garrett. It's when the Cowboys are no longer competitive and are playing out the season in week 17 with no shot at the playoffs that will force Jerry to have to make a head coaching change.

It's hard to argue in favor of keeping a HC who's gone 8-8 the past 3 seasons when you're coming off a losing season with no shot at the playoffs entering the season finale. At some point it's going to take 11-plus wins to win the NFC East and hovering around 500 all season will leave the Cowboys with no shot at the division title and possibly not even a wildcard birth when you look at how strong a conference the NFC has become with SF and Seattle. Philly could be the next team added to that mix which will leave the Cowboys playing for a wildcard spot every season. Garrett is reaching the end of his rope he and Jerry both know it. Playing up and down mediocre football every season is only going to keep you competitive for so long. The Cowboys have benefitted from playing in a weak division for several years but eventually the NFC East will be back and someone is going to take hold of that division (maybe Philly) and 8-8 isn't going to keep the Cowboys in the race heading into the final week of the season.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I have a list of questions I need answered before I can judge my excitement quotient.

Until then, with what the team has and the questions we already seem to own, I think I am expecting another Garrett led dismal year.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Its a 4-12 year if Romo back gives Dallas any trouble at all. If he stays healthy I think Dallas can squeeze out a 9-7 team.

That sounds about right to me. I wouldn't expect them to squeeze out 9-7. I do think it's plausible.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Dallas could win anywhere from 4-9 games. Barring Romo injuries, I think we're looking at 7-9 or 8-8. Dallas has too many holes to fill and not enough time to fill them. We will have injuries and most likely rely on young inexperienced guys. The defense needs to plug 3 holes(DT,DT, DE, S,LB?) at minimum, just to have a chance. If we can get pressure on opposing qb's in '14 this defense will look vastly different. It's a long shot to think Dallas could fix a defense so devoid of talent in just one offseason, that's why I think our ceiling is 8-8. 7-9 seems about right. I'm hopeful linehan can help utilize dez and other weapons, but I'm pretty skeptical; I doubt he does better than Callahan did statistically in '13. Not that Callahan set the bar all that high either.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
This team has more question marks going into next season than I can remember in a long time.

And a tough schedule to boot.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I still think 5 and 11 or 4 and 12 with there schedule hope its lots better though but not going to get excited about any thing
been dumped to many times last several years.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
"With all due respect sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me." --Gunny Highway

LOL...............Heartbreak Ridge.............great movie

Anytime you want rematch (is this the 3rd or 4th time in a row I beat you, I cant remember)....................you know where to find me.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LOL...............Heartbreak Ridge.............great movie

Anytime you want rematch (is this the 3rd or 4th time in a row I beat you, I cant remember)....................you know where to find me.
2nd that I know of. At least I bet on my team, not against them. No way I could have foreseen the injuries of the last 2 years.