Are you excited for the 2014 season? If so, why?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Of course I am. I am a football fan. That's all I need to be excited about a season.

As a football fan, I agree. I am excited to see if the Seahawks can repeat or if the 49ers can overtake them. I am excited to see if Manning comes back to the Broncos and if they can put up 40 points a game again next season or did Seattle "expose them". I am excited to see games on CBS on Thursday nights this coming season. I am excited to see if the NFL changes the kickoff and extra point rules.

As far as Dallas however, I am realistic, not excited. As long as "head coach in training" is on the sideline, we will never win a division title. I said that in 2010 and 4 years later I have yet to be proven wrong.

I see this team as a 6-8 win team next year with Garrett at the helm, obviously missing the playoffs for the 5th consecutive year, 4 under Garrett.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
As far as Dallas however, I am realistic, not excited. As long as "head coach in training" is on the sideline, we will never win a division title. I said that in 2010 and 4 years later I have yet to be proven wrong.

I see this team as a 6-8 win team next year with Garrett at the helm, obviously missing the playoffs for the 5th consecutive year, 4 under Garrett.

I really don't care.

scottsp

Reaction score
Hope springs eternal, but that's in only how we relate to football come early August, be you a Jag or Seahawk fan.

Once the ball is kicked, I suspect we see more of the same here. Cowboy performance seems to be amazingly constant. And even for the sucker, a staff reshuffle sells only so many times. Jones can't rebrand a jalopy as pre-owned and call it a day.

As with most things that have festered for so long, this will probably have to get worse before it gets better. For some of us, perpetual mediocrity isn't bottom. To me, it is the worst. At least at 2-14, you cannot rationalize "We are close." The arrow is pointing in one direction or another.

The culture here has gone from football excellence to simply selling. I mean, surely every club markets to some extent, but Dallas' priority is the sale itself.

Never you mind about the defensive inadequacies! Don't you see those five Lomabardis in that trophy case? See the Staubach #12, the Emmitt 22, those banners, this huge stadium, that big screen, that big blue star? And don't you worry, we will fix everything for 2014; we are adding another offensive coordinator (yes, another!) and moving the old man upstairs. So buy now before it's too late!

Meanwhile, Seattle and San Francisco are in the lab working on ways to bludgeon one another. Stockpiling at the line of scrimmage. You know, football stuff.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
As a football fan, I agree. I am excited to see if the Seahawks can repeat or if the 49ers can overtake them. I am excited to see if Manning comes back to the Broncos and if they can put up 40 points a game again next season or did Seattle "expose them". I am excited to see games on CBS on Thursday nights this coming season. I am excited to see if the NFL changes the kickoff and extra point rules.

I am excited because looking at the opponents, this is the season the SS Ginger Failboat hits the iceberg and the "I TOLD YOU SOs" will be coming fast and furious. I would be willing to bet certain posters have already registered alternate usernames for when the inevitable occurs.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Nope. I will be excited when football starts just because I am a huge football fan in general. Romo coming off major back surgery won't be pretty. Our DL will be depleted unless we actually draft some guys. OL actually is a less of a concern as it has been for awhile and one more good guy could push it to above average. Preferably through the draft to get a nucleus with Frederick, Smith and whomever. And the secondary is still atrocious.

Plus, we are playing the NFC West, hands down the best division in football. Those could all be losses. Heck we could not even take advantage of playing a very down NFC North while playing all their backup QBs except one. We went 1-3. Not to mention our own division was a dumpster fire.

It will be the same thing. We win games we maybe shouldn't. Lose some we also should not. Put it in the oven, and it comes out to another 8-8 season. Most likely with the division on the line in the last game and we lose.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If you're not excited about 2014 why are you here? should be the question

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I always am. I love football and I love Cowboys football. Regardless of the outcomes that is simply never going to change and I don't really care who that offends.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I'm not excited because I have no clue what is going on. I can't get excited over something that might not be what I expect it to be.

I'm more interested if anything, because I'm confused! lol Just like you other Cowboy fans. That's the price we pay for being Dallas Cowboy fans.

We get to see what happens now.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Its the same every year for me. Tony Romo. This will be a very interesting year for him coming off back surgery.

Is this the year that everybody WON'T be talking about the Dallas Cowboys? If so, that's a really good thing.

I feel like Jerry is throwing the season, by keeping Garrett, so I can't say I am excited much at all.
Really be interesting to see how ticket sales do this year.
Jerry usally does something to gin up hope, but unless he drafts Manzell, don't see any splash moves happening.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The problem is that the offense's main leaders are in their final few years (Romo and Witten) and the defense is just an absolute mess with no identity and no reliable players. When you can't count on your best player to play more than 10 games (Lee), you've got MAJOR issues.

We've only got 3 players to be excited about (Dez, Tyron and Frederick) ON THE WHOLE TEAM

faninjersey

Reaction score
Yep ... you start out with a minimum 3 probably 4 losses cause your are playing the NFC West ... basically you have to win all your Division games to get into the playoffs. Sprinkle in a couple games against the AFC ... which if they are winning teams you will probably lose. And if you get Romo hurt again ... we will be staring directly and 6-10 or 5-11.

I see 5-11. Given the salary cap, wear/tear of the core players, and non-excellent draft history... This is the lowest expectation that I've ever had for the team. The return to greatness requires an organizational overhaul. (Not excited, or bitter, but very sober minded.)

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
B/C we're fans???

If I don't like what's going on with the team, what am I supposed to do, fake being excited?

Nope, but if this team makes you unhappy, why do you choose to be unhappy here? Why choose to try and bring down a forum to your misery? Again not saying you but in general. The majority of this forum comes to this forum to read about the Dallas Cowboys, enjoy and entertain ourselves with the team we root for.