Are you guys thinking that Lamb

aria

Reaction score
It increases chances of a bust when you take a player higher than warranted because it is a need. Obviously there is a bust factor with every player but the higher rated prospects are rated higher, in part, because there is less chance of them being a bust. Depending on the situation you in those situations you could still draft the player and then look to trade the player you already had on the roster. There are situations where you have to draft for need but what I appreciate about the Cowboys is they do a pretty good job plugging holes in free agency to allow them to pick the best player in the draft. At the end of the day everyone has their own evaluation of the prospects, but the Cowboys had Lamb #6 on their board and were able to pick him at 17, and filled a need because they needed a wr 3.
I respectfully disagree with the Cowboys usually taking the BPA. Charlton was a bust and not the best player or even rated that high, LVE was a gamble and dropped significantly due to his neck injury plus he wasn’t BPA, Jaylon was a gamble, picking a RB with the 4th overall was just dumb, Hill they drafted for need.

Sure, you could say Lamb filled a need because they “needed” a WR3 but that is quite misleading when there were other areas of greater need, especially on the defensive side. You could say zeke was a “need” but that doesn’t justify spending the 4th overall pick on him.

Anyways, I agree with most of what you’re saying and I’m not upset about Lamb, I think he’ll be great but I disagree with always taking the BPA. What if a top 10 WR falls to us again next year? At some point you have to address your weaknesses in the draft and WR wasn’t one of them.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I doubt Dak will regress. I honestly think he will get a contract before July 15th. JJ will drop the 5th year and it’s pretty much a done deal.
I do not want a 5th year.

If Dak actually plays well..

If he wins a couple of SBs..

then 5th years are fine.

But if Dak is not humming by the 3rd year with titles..

doubt we would want to pay him a 4th or 5th year then.

We will have moved on. He will be traded or something else will happen.

He is too expensive to be a backup.

By then, Brady should be done in Tampa. They will be looking for a QB.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah.

It's also that schemes used at the pro level will demand more intelligence from the player to read defenses.

Does a rookie have that? Does his new QB have that down?

It's a huge difference maker.

CeeDee seems up to this but we really don't know yet.
Also depends on how much MM changes the playbook.

I heard just some terminology and a few different things. Dak got the old playbook down. He should get the changes down.

Lamb needs to learn the playbook. I think they may keep it simple for him to start. Not sure if slot or outside is easier to get down.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with the Cowboys usually taking the BPA. Charlton was a bust and not the best player or even rated that high, LVE was a gamble and dropped significantly due to his neck injury plus he wasn’t BPA, Jaylon was a gamble, picking a RB with the 4th overall was just dumb, Hill they drafted for need.

Sure, you could say Lamb filled a need because they “needed” a WR3 but that is quite misleading when there were other areas of greater need, especially on the defensive side. You could say zeke was a “need” but that doesn’t justify spending the 4th overall pick on him.

Anyways, I agree with most of what you’re saying and I’m not upset about Lamb, I think he’ll be great but I disagree with always taking the BPA. What if a top 10 WR falls to us again next year? At some point you have to address your weaknesses in the draft and WR wasn’t one of them.
Do you think the light is gonna come on for Hill this year. He maybe the example MM makes out of a player that is being lazy. Cut him during camp..

glimmerman

Reaction score
I do not want a 5th year.

If Dak actually plays well..

If he wins a couple of SBs..

then 5th years are fine.

But if Dak is not humming by the 3rd year with titles..

doubt we would want to pay him a 4th or 5th year then.

We will have moved on. He will be traded or something else will happen.

He is too expensive to be a backup.

By then, Brady should be done in Tampa. They will be looking for a QB.
I will take 3 years of division title and 1 super bowl ring. Lol.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Do you think the light is gonna come on for Hill this year. He maybe the example MM makes out of a player that is being lazy. Cut him during camp..
I think with Marinelli and Richard gone..

Hill will contribute along with the rest of Smith, Poe, etc.

Defense has always been such a revolving door for this team..

Parcells, Phillips, Ryan...

guys that by rep should have had a more lasting effect than they did.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I will take 3 years of division title and 1 super bowl ring. Lol.
Yeah..

Then Dak gets his new contact which means he moves into Jerrah's yatch and takes over the Poop Deck.

Looking forward to that.

If Jerrah is going to let Dak drive his football team..

might as well drive the boat.

:omg:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah..

Then Dak gets his new contact which means he moves into Jerrah's yatch and takes over the Poop Deck.

Looking forward to that.

:omg:
If he helps this team to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years and gets a super bowl win then JJ will give Dak a sweet 5 year deal and his own master suite and the spare set of keys to the yacht.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If he helps this team to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years and gets a super bowl win then JJ will give Dak a sweet 5 year deal and his own master suite and the spare set of keys to the yacht.
Exactly.

"Oh Jerrah ol' boy old man..

Going to borrow the yatch pops. Me, Zeke and Romo are going down to Cabo for awhile. Hold down the fort?".

Sure. You da best son money can buy. Toodles. Don't Tell Stephen I said that."

:dance:

aria

Reaction score
Man....I dunno, I really don’t. Some players I have a feeling towards, whether I’m right or wrong, and others I don’t. Hill is one of the ones I’m not sure about either way, same as Dak, LVE (after last season) and few others :eek:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

I don't think the Cowboys always choose the BPA. More often when they don't it ends up blowing up in their face. I think the new coaching staff leans more toward BPA which is exciting for me. I don't know for sure but if an amazing receiver fell next year I would still take him and look to move on from Cooper or Gallup. Trade one of them to get additional assets for the defense.

aria

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys always choose the BPA. More often when they don't it ends up blowing up in their face. I think the new coaching staff leans more toward BPA which is exciting for me. I don't know for sure but if an amazing receiver fell next year I would still take him and look to move on from Cooper or Gallup. Trade one of them to get additional assets for the defense.
I think it’s awfully risky trying to trade and come out on top, especially with players that are due for contracts or are already in the middle of one. Pretty big gamble but that seems right up Jerry’s alley.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Great, then why did we give Coop a fat contract? Also, if people think we are that close to winning a Super Bowl then why not focus on what needs to be fixed the most right now, not 5 years from now?

because that is how the system works. free agency is before the draft (at least the bulk of the free agents sign before the draft). teams have to make decisions about who to resign or which Free Agents to pursue\sign. You don't know how the draft will fall and thus the uncertainty is one of the factors that drives the Free Agency market.

Amari is a great talent & was deemed necessary to sign. If the draft occurred first, maybe they wouldn't sign Amari. Who knows.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Yeah...again, I think he will put this offense over the top and I’m all for drafting for the future but offense wasn’t a big concern. Then we gave Coop a big contract before the draft...it just doesn’t make a lot of sense for a team that should be in a win now mode.

I’ve never believed in drafting BPA, I think it’s dumb as hell. Draft for need.
You say it's dumb to draft BPA regardless of need. I say it's dumb to draft for need regardless of talent. No NFL team does either one as a strict strategy anyway. I personally believe that if you have more than one player of similar grade on your board you take the guy you need most. But when you're looking at a guy at #17 with average college production and a mid-late-first-round grade and a top-10 guy who is arguably the best player in the draft at his position and will see at least as many snaps as the other guy, you take the better player every time. The way I see it, if as a rule you draft players who are less talented than players who are much higher-rated on your board just because you need them more, you are going to end up with a less talented team. Just my $0.02.

aria

Reaction score
You say it's dumb to draft BPA regardless of need. I say it's dumb to draft for need regardless of talent. No NFL team does either one as a strict strategy anyway. I personally believe that if you have more than one player of similar grade on your board you take the guy you need most. But when you're looking at a guy at #17 with average college production and a mid-late-first-round grade and a top-10 guy who is arguably the best player in the draft at his position and will see at least as many snaps as the other guy, you take the better player every time. The way I see it, if as a rule you draft players who are less talented than players who are much higher-rated on your board just because you need them more, you are going to end up with a less talented team. Just my $0.02.
Out of curiosity, do you take position into account (ie RB, yes I’m talking about Zeke and Barkley)? I would also include other positions as well but that is more applicable to us since we recently used a 4th overall.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys made the right move in drafting Lamb, if his expectations meet his production. Gallup is going to be up for a new contract after next year. If Amari continues to play as he has and Lamb is who we think he is, then Gallup becomes trade bait next year or we deal/cut Amari. Either way, we're set at wide receiver.

Furthermore, let's just face it. Who left in the draft at pick 17 was going to improve this defense dramatically? :huh: I saw no Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, Deion Sanders talent lurking out there who would dramatically improve this defense. So, you play to the strength of your team and the strength of the league - which is a PASSING league.

If McCarthy is the offensive guru we think he is ...
If Dak continues to improve ...
If we stay health …

With Zeke, Amari, Gallup, Lamb and this offensive line, I just don't see any team stopping this offense. We simply outscore our opponents. Defensive problems solved.

From my perspective, Lamb was the right move and fits into what this team wants to be, what Jerry wants it to be and what plays to the strength of our coach.

Light up the score board, notch the wins and ring up the cash registers. Cha-ching! Music to Jerry's ears.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I agree.

Look at taking Hill after trading our #1 away to get Amari.

All of us hoped that 2rd rd pick would equate to a #1 type pick.

And Hill was a position of need given Taco.

He could not possibly have been BPA.

So we do different things at different times.

Surely we had defensive players all lined up on our board for this past draft.

Lamb was never never expected to fall so far.

I guess the head coach has to circle his area of deepest concern for the draft to analyze.

Then you stick to your board and pray the player, scheme, coaching and desire take over.

Last edited:

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think he’ll be good. The strategy I saw was all geared towards passing. So they got a WR to beat another teams #1 or #2 cb and they got Diggs to shut down a #1 or #2 WR. That should improve the Playmaking ability On both sides of the ball

aria

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys made the right move in drafting Lamb, if his expectations meet his production. Gallup is going to be up for a new contract after next year. If Amari continues to play as he has and Lamb is who we think he is, then Gallup becomes trade bait next year or we deal/cut Amari. Either way, we're set at wide receiver.

Furthermore, let's just face it. Who left in the draft at pick 17 was going to improve this defense dramatically? :huh: I saw no Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, Deion Sanders talent lurking out there who would dramatically improve this defense. So, you play to the strength of your team and the strength of the league - which is a PASSING league.

If McCarthy is the offensive guru we think he is ...
If Dak continues to improve ...
If we stay health …

With Zeke, Amari, Gallup, Lamb and this offensive line, I just don't see any team stopping this offense. We simply outscore our opponents. Defensive problems solved.

From my perspective, Lamb was the right move and fits into what this team wants to be, what Jerry wants it to be and what plays to the strength of our coach.

Light up the score board, notch the wins and ring up the cash registers. Cha-ching! Music to Jerry's ears.
If defensive problems were solved by offense so easily then why were we 8-8 with 500 more offensive yards than the next closest team and almost 1K yards more than KC? We were also 6th in total points, only about ~14 behind KC but ahead of teams like the Pats, Vikings, Philly, Rams, Seahawks, Titans, Texans, Packers...?

I’m not disagreeing that Lamb wasn’t a good pick but I think a lot more needs to come together than just offense.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you take position into account (ie RB, yes I’m talking about Zeke and Barkley)? I would also include other positions as well but that is more applicable to us since we recently used a 4th overall.
A great question and I'm glad you asked. The short answer is yes. I was rooting hard for Zeke at #4 but in hindsight, with the direction that the league has taken the CB would be a much higher priority for me now. Looking at the first 16 picks of this year's draft the other non-QB offensive players I'd have taken instead of Chaisson are...Jerry Jeudy. I'd probably say I'd take Chaisson over any guard but even only knowing what we knew about him in 2014 if Zack Martin was in this year's class he'd have been hard to pass up. So I don't think there are any hard and fast drafting rules for the NFL. For me drafting is a case by case exercise and the question of which player is best isn't gonna be the same for every team. The thing that really drives me nuts is when scheme takes precedent over talent in drafting. A good coach assembles the best personnel possible and designs schemes to fit what they do best, one of the biggest reasons I'm ecstatic that Garrett is gone. Love to see our defense with TJ Watt and Juan Thornhill.