CZ POLL Are you happy with the state of the Dallas Cowboys right now?

Are you happy with the state of the Dallas Cowboys right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
A GM who builds a team w/ gaping holes that loses early in the playoffs every year and doesn't understand why the holes are there or why we lose is indeed a terrible GM. Absolutely awful.

I would give him full credit. 100%. He is the GM, he gets full credit for everything. Including boneheaded 2nd round picks.
As I was taught in college, you can delegate authority, but you can't delegate responsibility.

So, in that regard I agree your 100% assessment. Jerry's the owner, therefore he bears total responsibility as far as the organization goes, but that's really a technical point. Nobody, not even Jerry, can run an NFL team totally by themselves, just not enough hours in a day to do that.

But no team with "gaping holes" goes 12-5 two years in a row, imho. Those are teams like the Jets, Panthers, etc. who have losing records year after year.
And I seriously doubt that he selects every draft pick with no input from his draft team and coaches, I am willing to believe that many times when a coach recommends a player Jerry just "rubber stamps" that pick, meaning it was in reality 100% the coach's or scout's pick.

No doubt the draft picks and coaching picks and so forth could be better, but like Dak, while not good enough, Jerry's not "terrible"....

kskboys

Reaction score
As I was taught in college, you can delegate authority, but you can't delegate responsibility.

So, in that regard I agree your 100% assessment. Jerry's the owner, therefore he bears total responsibility as far as the organization goes, but that's really a technical point. Nobody, not even Jerry, can run an NFL team totally by themselves, just not enough hours in a day to do that.

But no team with "gaping holes" goes 12-5 two years in a row, imho. Those are teams like the Jets, Panthers, etc. who have losing records year after year.
And I seriously doubt that he selects every draft pick with no input from his draft team and coaches, I am willing to believe that many times when a coach recommends a player Jerry just "rubber stamps" that pick, meaning it was in reality 100% the coach's or scout's pick.

No doubt the draft picks and coaching picks and so forth could be better, but like Dak, while not good enough, Jerry's not "terrible"....
Dude, he's responsible for the guys giving him input. It is on him. And he not only willingly took this job, he insisted on it.

So, you fell asleep during the extreme running games in the 49ers and Rams playoff games? The gaping hole is at DT. And we throw a pick at it now and then, but Jerry has no clue how to "fix" the issue. He's that dumb.

Jerry is beyond terrible. He's not capable of assessing the problem. He mostly doesn't even understand that there is a problem. He's that dumb.

You might want to go look up the duties of an NFL GM.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So if Jerry had hired a gm/gms over the past 27 years I guess we'd be looking at having, oh, at least 20 Super Bowl trophies, right?

I mean if the Cowboys managed to make the playoffs on the average every other year with a "terrible" Jerry in charge, just think what we could have accomplished with a "real' general manager!

Don't misunderstand me, Jerry has been by far the main reason for no rings in the past 27 years, and I don't like him for his stubbornness in not hiring a separate gm, but if he was truly a "terrible" gm, we'd be the Jets or the Panthers or the Lions or such. You do realize the Lions haven't won a PLAYOFF GAME since 1991? And NEVER won a Super Bowl? The Jets haven't been to the Super Bowl but ONCE, and that was 53 years ago, When's the last time the Raiders were a top team? They have had a non-winning record 24 of the past 28 years. If Jerry's a "terrible" gm, what were the Raiders' general managers? What's underneath "terrible"?

No, he's a poor gm, but I repeat, no "terrible" gm would have even the middling success the Cowboys have had.

Poor, mediocre, average, sub-par are all words I would use to describe Jerry as an NFL general manager, but sorry, can't go "terrible".

But I respect your opinion, just don't share it....

ReverendFelcher

Reaction score
Since 95, we have almost always been fun and entertaining to watch. That's the sick and evil part of Jerry's incompetence. We still watch and consume.

Until we get past the divisional round of the playoffs--I won't ever be happy with the state of this team. I don't trust them.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Some are happy just competing, just like Jerry. Now go out and buy some more gear.

So we're trolls and haters because we aren't happy with end of season results for the past 27 seasons? I guess you are trying to tell us to approach the Cowboys like the fake professional wrestling that people only watch for entertainment, am I right? Only real fans like you vote yes? You are a disgrace to the real Van Halen.
LMAO! Either you have bad reading comprehension skills, or you're out yourself. Let me mansplain it for you. :)

I said HALF of those 86 percent are trolls and haters. Like Charlie Brown, that guy who lives in the Mountains, that Mystery dude, etc. But hey, I see you put on that shoe. ;)

yentl911

Reaction score
If you are OK with a good team that will win 10-11 games every year but gets bounced one game into the tournament, then this is the team for you!!!
I think we are way behind the Eagles and the 49ers and we have not closed the gap like many thought.
I think the Lions have a brighter future than our team unfortunately.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
LMAO! Either you have bad reading comprehension skills, or you're out yourself. Let me mansplain it for you. :)

I said HALF of those 86 percent are trolls and haters. Like Charlie Brown, that guy who lives in the Mountains, that Mystery dude, etc. But hey, I see you put on that shoe. ;)
You're still a disgrace to the real Van Halen..... so there !

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I voted no. Not because of the FO, and some of their blunders on things, or the past 28 years With no NFCCG.
Yeah, that may be part of it, but I also take it year to year to enjoy the season as it unfolds.
I am not going to whine and try about all of that.

5-2, great. Probably where most had us after 7 games anyway. But my vote is because we been in this spot so many times. And usually chasing other teams. Not just for the NFCE but also for the NFC.
And come up short all the time. Go out and win this game against Philly. Then they should win the next 3 games.

Than the gauntlet to finish the season. But win the next 4, or even 5 before they face the Eagles again. Then my answer will be yes.
We see SF and Philly go on these long win streaks. Even the Vikings last season. So go out and prove it to us fans To get a yes answer.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you are OK with a good team that will win 10-11 games every year but gets bounced one game into the tournament, then this is the team for you!!!
It's not that I'm OK with that, but I choose not to drown myself in misery if we don't win the SB every year. Only one team does. Several have never won one. Two teams are 0-4, talk about abject failure!

Sure, I don't like not winning the SB since the 1995 season, but it could be worse. The last 2 years I've gotten to watch 25 Cowboys victories, including a playoff win, at least I can enjoy those games....

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I was just reading some comments from Texas Rangers players after they won the world series last night... Marcus Semien said "... this is why the play the game".

Want to know the real reason why I'm not happy with the state of the Dallas Cowboys right now? There isn't a single person in the front office or on the roster who feels the same way. Parsons might be the only one who comes close. The Rest? Jerry? I think they lack the passion and determination to take it to the championship level. Until they get a change of attitude this team will continue to fail.

75boyz

Reaction score
I was just reading some comments from Texas Rangers players after they won the world series last night... Marcus Semien said "... this is why the play the game".

Want to know the real reason why I'm not happy with the state of the Dallas Cowboys right now? There isn't a single person in the front office or on the roster who feels the same way. Parsons might be the only one who comes close. The Rest? Jerry? I think they lack the passion and determination to take it to the championship level. Until they get a change of attitude this team will continue to fail.
Great post man.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
I grade this team as the following:

Talent on the field B+
Talent in the field performance B-
Easily beats up on bad teams when they show up, can’t get over the hump with A level playoff teams and win.

Expectations of season? Basically an exact repeat of last year. However? I hope this team proves me wrong.

This week, will truly tell us where this team stands.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
We’re a good team. We’re not great and remaining static won’t improve this team.

You’d think Jerry at his advanced age would want to make a some serious moves.

So now we’ll have to see if we can execute on the field consistently.

kskboys

Reaction score
So if Jerry had hired a gm/gms over the past 27 years I guess we'd be looking at having, oh, at least 20 Super Bowl trophies, right?

I mean if the Cowboys managed to make the playoffs on the average every other year with a "terrible" Jerry in charge, just think what we could have accomplished with a "real' general manager!

Don't misunderstand me, Jerry has been by far the main reason for no rings in the past 27 years, and I don't like him for his stubbornness in not hiring a separate gm, but if he was truly a "terrible" gm, we'd be the Jets or the Panthers or the Lions or such. You do realize the Lions haven't won a PLAYOFF GAME since 1991? And NEVER won a Super Bowl? The Jets haven't been to the Super Bowl but ONCE, and that was 53 years ago, When's the last time the Raiders were a top team? They have had a non-winning record 24 of the past 28 years. If Jerry's a "terrible" gm, what were the Raiders' general managers? What's underneath "terrible"?

No, he's a poor gm, but I repeat, no "terrible" gm would have even the middling success the Cowboys have had.

Poor, mediocre, average, sub-par are all words I would use to describe Jerry as an NFL general manager, but sorry, can't go "terrible".

But I respect your opinion, just don't share it....
All of those words you used are just fine. Semantics doesn't interest me, we agree.

kskboys

Reaction score
We’re a good team. We’re not great and remaining static won’t improve this team.

You’d think Jerry at his advanced age would want to make a some serious moves.

So now we’ll have to see if we can execute on the field consistently.
He has no idea what moves to make. He's just not a football guy.

ESisback

Reaction score
He has no idea what moves to make. He's just not a football guy.
He’s no Bill Polian, but 34 years of being immersed in it would leave SOMETHING, wouldn’t it? My first day in radio I was a doofus noob, but 35 years later, I could tell you some stuff. This “not a football guy” stuff is kinda worn out. He simply has different priorities than we do.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Team is still not good enough to win championships in my view, has been way too long and I doubt it happens this season either!

Status
Not open for further replies.