Areas of Expertise

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1352664 said:
People talking about Commodore Vic-20s bring back memories.

How many remember getting a rare computer magazine that had some program you could type up on your Vic-20.

Take around an hour or so and you always messed up at least one line so you had to go back and check each.

After all of that you would play the game and it would be crappy and if you did not have a floppy or tape drive you could not save all of what you typed in.:laugh2:

Later i got a 128 I think it was. There was a good deal of software you could get for that. I actually had that thing, with a bunch of games until a few years ago when I gave it to someone for a charity drawing.

I don't think it did much to help, I was hoping someone would have paid some money for it due to wanting something from the past.

Now I wish I would have kept it. I actually liked quite a few games that were on it even though the graphics sucked. I still like that old game Pirates.

I once wrote a program on my Vic-20 that convinced my buddy that we were breaking into Russia's military network (Thanks Wargames!).

Good times...

Oh, and that dataset recorder sucked hard.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1375106 said:
you spurred me on...so here's an update that I know you all were waiting breathlessly on...

Sooo...

I poured a whole bottle of Liquid Plumr foam stuff down the drain, hit the reset button and noted the garbage disposal's hard-wired.

The liquid plumr stuff partially worked. I think I need to pour another bottle or two down it. The drainage wasn't as slow after I waited an hour for it to clear. I ran the hot water like the instructions said, but it backed up. So I used a plunger to remove the sitting water. Some nasty looking stuff came out when I did that. Which leads me to believe that if I pour some more of that Liquid Plumr stuff, it'll clear it up.

As for the garbage disposal, I can hear the motor running, but nothing's happening. I don't remember hearing anything before, so I'm not sure if that's progress or not.

That is progress, your problem's pretty simple now. You've either overloaded the disposal with food stuff or a non-food item is jamming it. It needed reset because of this.

You can either a) turn it manually with an allen wrench or b) use a utensil like a slotted spoon or your hand (making sure it's off) to fish all the gunk out of it. A is a whole lot easier and less gross.

If it doesn't turn, chances are a non food item fell in like a straw or a fork or something. That's when you call the plumber to diassemble it.

Viper

Reaction score
The trap is the most likely place to look when gunk gathers. This is true for a kitchen sink, but for a bathroom sink the gunk gathers before the trap. Most time it’s the pipe that leads from the drain to the trap that is clogged. Take the trap off then reach around the back of that pipe you’ll find a thumb nut, unfasten this and remove the small metal bar that controls the plug. Most of the gunk will just fall out of the bottom of the pipe. You’ll be able to look through your drain to see if you have any other obstructions.

If your clog is after the trap your best bet is renting an electric snake. A hand crank snake just doesn’t do the job an electric snake does.

Rocky

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1374623 said:
So did Rocky fix the drain or or did WG fix the disposal?

It's like a how to soap opera for the terminally bored and you guys left us hanging.

Sorry haven't checked the forum in a while. But...sadly, no. Not only that, my hot water line is slowly leaking as of this morning. I turned off the main valve under the sink a few minutes ago. Looks like I'm going to have to call in a plumber.

Rocky

Reaction score
Otay, my bathroom plumbing problem has been resolved. I decided to replace my faucet/sink/cabinet with a better, more modern one and the drain problem was solved at the same time. The guy disassembled the water trap and main line and showed me the nasty junk that was clogging it up. (before I just cleaned the stopper or whatever it's called) Lots of shavings and soap scum in there. Sorry i didn't get a chance to take some pictures as he was working pretty fast.

Maybe some of us learned something useful here...I sure did..and now zoners can sleep soundly at night knowing all is well with my plumbing.

nathanlt

Reaction score
I'm having trouble loading Microsoft Enterprise 2007 on my computer.

I continually get the error 1913, "make sure you have access to the win.ini file" when I run the installation wizard. I've been on several websites and can't seem to correct this issue of win.ini rights.

I've even created an administrator profile, and attempted it that way, but no luck. Can anyone help?

Mash

Reaction score
nathanlt;1457445 said:
I'm having trouble loading Microsoft Enterprise 2007 on my computer.

I continually get the error 1913, "make sure you have access to the win.ini file" when I run the installation wizard. I've been on several websites and can't seem to correct this issue of win.ini rights.

I've even created an administrator profile, and attempted it that way, but no luck. Can anyone help?

Found this from google...

Open a search window:
Microsoft Windows XP: Click Start and then click Search. After the search screen opens, click All files and folders.
All other Windows versions: Click Start, point to Find (or Search), and then click Files and Folders.
Type win.ini into the search field, verify that the C: hard disk drive is selected in the Look in field, and then click Search, Search Now or Find to begin the search.
In the list of search results, right-click win.ini and then click Properties.
In the Win.ini Properties dialog box, click the Read-only check box to remove the check, and then click OK.

Mash

Reaction score
Also...if that doesnt work....If you had a previous version of office...uninstall and delete all entries in the registry...

then try installing Enterprise again...

btw...what Enterprise are u installing....Office? Vista?....sorry...I assumed it was office...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Wow, lots more tech people here that I figured.

I am an infrastructure engineer. I build/migrate/convert/employ different technologies. Hardware/operating systems and most application types.

My specialty is to migrate systems from (whatever hardware/os/app) to Linux and developing high availability without being killed by contractors and vendors in the budget department. I've thought many times about contracting on the side, but I prefer to spend the extra time with my family. I'm on call 24/7 as it is.

Most of the stuff I work with you probably wouldn't have in your home, but if you have questions, I'm willing to help.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1353029 said:
So since we're talking plumbing, my garbage disposal isn't working. It's about 5 yrs old. It won't turn on anymore and the sink now has a slow drain. Haven't tried any drainage cleaners yet, but my biggest issue is that when I flip the switch to turn it on, nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

I have no idea when this was posted, but...

As the others said. Replace it. It's actually not very hard to do, (I've done it before) but unless you consider yourself any type of DIYer, I would have someone else do it because you have to use plumbers tap, plumber putty, and there is electrical to deal with. Do not buy the really cheap ones. (They actually arn't that expensive) Get one of the quality ones, and make sure you get at least 3/4HP motor though 1HP is best. An InSinkErator Evolution series can be had for less than $200 at Home Depot.

DBoys

Reaction score
SMS
WSUS
Exchange
LCS
RIS
Anything AD
WMS / Multicast / Encoding
Packaging (MSI, Wise, Installshield)
VB, WMI
Anything Windows
Anthing Dell, HP/Compaq

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;1546142 said:
I have no idea when this was posted, but...

As the others said. Replace it. It's actually not very hard to do, (I've done it before) but unless you consider yourself any type of DIYer, I would have someone else do it because you have to use plumbers tap, plumber putty, and there is electrical to deal with. Do not buy the really cheap ones. (They actually arn't that expensive) Get one of the quality ones, and make sure you get at least 3/4HP motor though 1HP is best. An InSinkErator Evolution series can be had for less than $200 at Home Depot.
Another bottle of Liquid plumr fixed it for me. Works great with no problems now.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1794673 said:
Another bottle of Liquid plumr fixed it for me. Works great with no problems now.

It fixed a garbage disposal? :confused: :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1794643 said:
:laugh2:

We have been using exchange for many years without any problems.

I agree with both sides of this argument. If you have Exchange and it's not super large and you protect it and the users; Then it can run smoothly. Now, if you do start having problems with data integrity or other issues I feel for you as Exchange can be a nightmare! Exchange (like Sql Server) can be a sunny day at the beach, or it can be the heart of the storm.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
nyc;1826433 said:
I agree with both sides of this argument. If you have Exchange and it's not super large and you protect it and the users; Then it can run smoothly. Now, if you do start having problems with data integrity or other issues I feel for you as Exchange can be a nightmare! Exchange (like Sql Server) can be a sunny day at the beach, or it can be the heart of the storm.

I agree whole heartedly.

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1352681 said:
Ahh yes the good old days of 8k of ram :D

Anybody go back to the days of Fortran and IBM punchcards? My first home computer had 2 5 1/4 floppys and no hard drive. Computers are not my speciality. I am currently in auto restoration and heavy collision repair. Have lots of Ford Explorer parts (95-00) and Avenger and Sebring parts (95 - 00) if anyone is in need send me a pm.