Artificial Intelligence is Re-Shaping the World

T-RO

Reaction score
I've run several businesses over my lifetime. One focused on creating interactive media and video (trade show media, interactive web sites, CD-ROMs, TV commercials). My other business venture has involved database business automation.

I've been stunned to see how emerging AI is impacting both these fields...and so many other fields of human endeavor. Frankly it makes me gloomy, as I see AI creating dazzling works of art, build web pages on its own, or code a small App in minutes. It's improving so rapidly!

Today was a huge day in that a vast number of leading intellects (from top universities, top companies) issued a warning statement. I can't emphasize enough this letter featured top people from Google's AI (DeepMind), Max Tegmark, Elon Musk, professors from Princeton, Berkeley, Oxford etc. About 200 signatures from people who know AI.

Letter's title:
"Pause Giant AI Experiments: An Open Letter"

Consider the ominous language of the letter!
"Advanced AI could represent a profound change in the history of life on Earth, and should be planned for and managed with commensurate care and resources. Unfortunately, this level of planning and management is not happening…"​
"Should we automate away all the jobs, including the fulfilling ones? Should we develop nonhuman minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, obsolete and replace us? Should we risk loss of control of our civilization?"​
Here's the full letter:
https://futureoflife.org/open-letter/pause-giant-ai-experiments/

dsturgeon

Reaction score
"Advanced AI could represent a profound change in the history of life on Earth, and should be planned for and managed with commensurate care and resources. Unfortunately, this level of planning and management is not happening…"​
"Should we automate away all the jobs, including the fulfilling ones? Should we develop nonhuman minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, obsolete and replace us? Should we risk loss of control of our civilization?"​

I think chat gpt is that profound change.

As far as a.i. intelligence overtaking human, may be a balance. Human intelligence will decline, and narrow the gap for a.i. increasing. The realiance on a.i. and computers is causing major problems to learning processes like memorization, knowledge retention, critical thinking, spelling etc.

Computers and computer programs are not really a threat in a sense that anyone could destroy one or unplug it. Bad people or eugenicists could do bad things with them, but that shifts the threat to people. In my opinion biotechnology in conjunction with a.i and wireless communications is the big threat. It is not hard to see the destruction or chains down that path. Protect your body. Eugenics and a 2 teir social system is a real and current thing

Creeper

Reaction score
Ethics has always been a major issue for science, from the study of human anatomy, to studying the effects of drugs and pathogens. Sometimes we get it wrong. It is no different with A.I. There are clearly dangers to humanity with A.I. as there are with gain of functions studies in virology.

Can we apply the 3 laws of robotics to all AI, or is that an impossibility? Can we program A.I. with failsafe parameters to prevent something like "Colossus: The Forbin Project"? should we limit the application of A.I.?

Remember, transitions in society do not take place overnight. We will adapt to change, even A.I., as we go. Automating jobs has been going on forever. We have adjusted along the way. I believe there will always be jobs for humans, even in a fully automated production environment. They just may not be jobs the way we know them today.

btw, a lesser discussed danger in science is genetics. We continue to advance our knowledge and abilities in this area and there are concerned about abuse. There has already been suspicion that China is experimenting with creating more advanced humans that are smarter, stronger, and generally superior to other humans. We could see a kind of race to apply genetics in warfare.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Can we apply the 3 laws of robotics to all AI, or is that an impossibility?
I don't think it is a possibility. I think it works for stories of fiction, but may prove more difficult to actually implement in real life. Let us assume that the 3 laws of robotics can be programmed or instilled into AI/robots. That doesn't mean they will be by everyone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
A lot of continuously accelerating science merging in a similar time frame.
Years of grown happening in months and soon …days.
Moore's Law on steroids

joseephuss

Reaction score
Will Tesla not have any updates for a while? Or limited updates? AI plays a part in that particular vehicle.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Will Tesla not have any updates for a while? Or limited updates? AI plays a part in that particular vehicle.
People opinion of shutting down a.i. does not matter. Technology is always taken to its fullest practical limits and weaponized. In my opinion nothing is being stopped.

I will give you a hint on cars. The technology will not stop until cars being able to be shutoff or piloted remotely without the consent of the driver, full time travel tracking, facial monitoring while driving, and when the china like social credit system is fully in place here, depending on what you have said or done your car might not turn on, and depending on enviromental factors cars might not be able to be used.

Tesla never would have stayed afloat as a company without government money. Musks companies are governement funded, and it is not for the planet or for the benefit of the people

dsturgeon

Reaction score
https://www.sanctuary.ai/news/
https://www.youtube.com/@sanctuaryai/videos

Sanctuary is a company started by geordie rose, who was also a founder of dwave computers and kindred a.i..

Their goal is to make an a.i. robot better than humans at everything, and his claim in 2017 was the world was very close to that goal.

If you look at what is out I would say there is a long way to go, but I doubt what we see is anywhere near where they are at with the technology. I wonder about the robot fingers. I would love to see a time lapse of a.i. robot fingers using machine learning to do different tasks, and how hard it would be to be successful

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
If you look in the "black box conundrum" or the "ghost in the machines" "spirit in the machines" issue it is very interesting. They do not understand how a.i. comes up with some of the answers it gets, or how it formulates the answers it comes up with in the algorithm loops

You can laugh this off, but you can listen to a lot of these artificial intelligence people talking about aliens, gods, summoning demons, spirits

I put those 2 things together in my mind. Unknown answers and summoning answers. Here is one example

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
traditional computer bits operate as either 0 or 1
quantum computer bits operate as either 0 or 1 or both

so quantum computers operates under super position and can be in 2 different states at 1 time, or as it has been referred to being in 2 different universes at the same time.

David Deutsch quote:
Quantum computation is a distinctively new way of harnessing nature. It will be the first technology that allows useful tasks to be performed in collaboration between parallel universes.

geordie rose talks about operating in the 2^500 something parallel universes or deminsions

The termonology these guys use is very interesting

dsturgeon

Reaction score
doctor-strange-avengers-infinity-war.jpg

From my limited udnerstanding

Quantum computers parallel universus is like dr stange here seeing all posibilties or scenarious at once. Being in different dimensions at one time. The computer can game many avenues and come up with best path to go down

These computers have been gaming scenarios in different fields and predetermining outcomes. Then the information if pushed to us in the predetermined way

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I’m not an alarmist but I think AI has the potential to severely negatively impact societies world wide.

There’s a reason why some of the leading AI companies are calling for regulation immediately.
creating a virus and a cure in silico on a quantum computer would negatively impact society