As an owner, this is how I would approach Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Listen, we’re going to sign you. Either at what you want or what we want or somewhere in between. You’ve been a leader for this team and have shown that you can make a difference. We want you and we want you bad. BUT, we also have to look at the contracts coming up for Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, Dak, Jones and some others. We have a fricken outstanding core talent of players. We can’t give you the highest contract ever played for a LE DE and also be able to keep this team together. Do you want to be the highest paid player of all time at your position or do you want to win Championships? Remember, I’m Jerry Jones and I’m in business with Emmitt Smith as well as other former Cowboys players. We’re making money together. Help this team out and I will help you out long term.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Listen, we’re going to sign you. Either at what you want or what we want or somewhere in between. You’ve been a leader for this team and have shown that you can make a difference. We want you and we want you bad. BUT, we also have to look at the contracts coming up for Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, Dak, Jones and some others. We have a fricken outstanding core talent of players. We can’t give you the highest contract ever played for a LE DE and also be able to keep this team together. Do you want to be the highest paid player of all time at your position or do you want to win Championships? Remember, I’m Jerry Jones and I’m in business with Emmitt Smith as well as other former Cowboys players. We’re making money together. Help this team out and I will help you out long term.

Owners/GMs rarely speak directly to players about contracts.

Most of what the teams says gets filtered by the agent before getting to the player.

jrumann59

Reaction score

Owners and GMs have to be careful with language like what I bolded, IIRC a team got slapped with a CBA grievance about possible outside contract compensation.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Well instead of trying to make it personal just get into the habit of either: extending guys early at a big discount or trading them so you don't have to Tag them. And keep drafting the most exp positions so if they want max money you already have plan b on the roster along with free agency to work with.

glimmerman

Reaction score
His agents answer would be that he wants to be the highest player of all time. The more he makes then the more the agent makes. JJ don’t get to talk to the players about contracts. It’s a shame. I have thought the same things though. D-Law said if he kept working hard that the contract would come. He wants security and enough for him and his family. For some reason enough for security for them and for us is 2 different numbers. Lol.

I could have retired last year with the money he made. Add another 20 million this year and I am pretty secure. I would want a SB ring. But I have a feeling it’s about the money.

If someone ask me if I would like 30 million or 40 million then I like most people would say 40.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Owners/GMs rarely speak directly to players about contracts.

Most of what the teams says gets filtered by the agent before getting to the player.
Right. I’m saying this as if Jerry or Stephen is talking directly to the agent.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Owners and GMs have to be careful with language like what I bolded, IIRC a team got slapped with a CBA grievance about possible outside contract compensation.
Obviously. But when a player retires he doesn’t belong to the NFL so all what you say is moot. Come on man.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
His agents answer would be that he wants to be the highest player of all time. The more he makes then the more the agent makes. JJ don’t get to talk to the players about contracts. It’s a shame. I have thought the same things though. D-Law said if he kept working hard that the contract would come. He wants security and enough for him and his family. For some reason enough for security for them and for us is 2 different numbers. Lol.

I could have retired last year with the money he made. Add another 20 million this year and I am pretty secure. I would want a SB ring. But I have a feeling it’s about the money.

If someone ask me if I would like 30 million or 40 million then I like most people would say 40.
The player has the final say, not the ******* agent.

starfan1

Reaction score
This thing should have been done. If I were Jerry I’d play hard ball which is different than low ball

I’d also start putting together contingency plans because tank feels he’s better than he actually is

Also tell j geezy to have his foot up tacos fanny all camp as it’s time for his production to get better

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I would slowly backup to Tank..

and whisper..

"Kiss it".

:angry:

Hardline

Reaction score
I would tell him if he will sign for league minimum Ill make up the difference by paying you to bring me a pizza once a week.
Doesn't go against the cap and Tank gets his money.

In fact I would give Dak the same deal.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am thinking that D-Law and his agent know that JJ will probly offer him more than other teams would. They are squeezing for everything. But I also heard that beasley had a good game and wrote on a football to get your check book out and signed it and sent it to JJ. Those negotiations were over as soon as he read the football. You could tell by the way beasley was acting on social media early on that he knew he wasn’t getting paid.

Little Jr

Reaction score
If he wants top DE money that probably isn't the issue and Dallas has probably offered that or something close to that. 5yr, 93m, 36m at signing and 57m in total guarantees would make him the highest paid DE. The problems is, he's asking to be paid like Mack and he isn't Mack.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. I’m saying this as if Jerry or Stephen is talking directly to the agent.

What gets relayed to the player:
The Cowboys don't want to pay what you're worth. They say take less and play for a championship.

Maybe we'll asked for a trade to the Patriots...everybody laughs...then the agent says Jerry needs to pay for his yacht...everybody laughs (very few players understand the cap and many believe the team just keeps any money saved).

visionary

Reaction score

This team ain't winning a single championship with the current GM/HC/QB, let alone championshipSSSSS

Tank knows that
No say he settles for less than he thinks he's worth

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Lawrence: When was the last time the Cowboys were even in an NFC Championship game, let alone a SB, let alone winning a SB? You're trying to sell me by dangling championships. How is that credible? It's a business. Show me the money. My time to make millions is *now*, with this contract, not after I've retired from the game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Thing that makes me shake my head at the end of these deal is when the player says "It was not about the money"

Contracts like this are about the money, and they should be. Like Murray, Lawrence's first post rookie contract deal is his chance to squeeze value out of the NFL for his family. Squeeze it. When you're older and looking for a ring, then you take a 3mil instead of a 5mil contract and sign with NE. You don't write off 10 mil guaranteed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.